Belize info

dwade1901

Hello everyone - my wife and are really looking forward to our Meraviglia cruise in early January and already have tours booked for our stay in Costa Maya and Roatan. In Belize however, we don't really fancy a tour but rather would probably just want to pop into the town for a bit. 2 questions please...

1. Is it walkable from the cruise terminal? If not, how much would a taxi be approx?

2. Is there much to see/do in the local town? If not, we'll probably just wander around the tourism village for a bit and then relax back on the ship...

Many thanks in advance

Dave :-)

The terminal is in Belize city so walking is possible, but not recommended.  It’s not the safest port to wander around by yourself so I would recommended joining a tour. 

We took a tour to the Mayan ruins on the border of Guatemala and it was fascinating driving through the country.  

• Like 1

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN TO THE PORT OF BELIZE CITY SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE PAST 20 YEARS, AND AS WELSHY74 MENTIONED AND I AGREE WITH, IT IS SOMEWHAT DANGEROUS IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU MAY BE WALKING TO.  NCL GAVE UP ON THE PORT SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND LEASED, I BELIEVE, HARVEST CAYE AS THEIR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND.  THOSE PASSENGERS HAVING SHORE EXCURSIONS ON THE MAINLAND ARE FERRIED OVER TO THE PORT AND ARE TRANSPORTED ON  AIR CONDITIONED  BUSES TO THEIR EXCURSION DESTINATIONS.😉

23 minutes ago, cmdchiefthom said:

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN TO THE PORT OF BELIZE CITY SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE PAST 20 YEARS, AND AS WELSHY74 MENTIONED AND I AGREE WITH, IT IS SOMEWHAT DANGEROUS IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU MAY BE WALKING TO.  NCL GAVE UP ON THE PORT SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND LEASED, I BELIEVE, HARVEST CAYE AS THEIR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND.  THOSE PASSENGERS HAVING SHORE EXCURSIONS ON THE MAINLAND ARE FERRIED OVER TO THE PORT AND ARE TRANSPORTED ON  AIR CONDITIONED  BUSES TO THEIR EXCURSION DESTINATIONS.😉

Very pretty script but almost impossible to read.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cmdchiefthom said:

Impossible to read

• Like 2

1 hour ago, welshy74 said:

The terminal is in Belize city so walking is possible, but not recommended.  It’s not the safest port to wander around by yourself so I would recommended joining a tour. 

We took a tour to the Mayan ruins on the border of Guatemala and it was fascinating driving through the country.  

We certainly wouldn’t walk around outside of the port area.

11 hours ago, sfaaa said:

The enclosed port area is fine, outside not so much. Place looks like an army camp with armed guard posted at the entrance and concertina wire strung on top of the compound wall. 

Actually I would not call it the "port area" but the town center. Which is very safe in my opinion. If you walk to the suburbs past St Johns Cathedral you will meet a police guard that friendly tells you, that is it not recommended to continue in this direction. 

• Like 1

We have been there a couple of times agree with previous posts , did a manatee tour once that was nice, hired a taxi driver another time to drive us around he showed us the foot long knife he always carries . Will stay on the ship next time.