cruise itinerary question

traveling2

43 minutes ago, traveling2 said:

I am going on a sea of Cortez cruise out of San Pedro. Ā it stops in La Paz. Ā  Is thisĀ 

a safe cruise to go on. Ā People tell me it is not a safe territory to go to. Ā Looking for input????????

Been there, and going again.Ā  It's about as safe as any other place you might travel to.Ā  Or, even as safe as your home town.Ā  Just keep aware of your surroundings.

Ā 

You don't have to get off the ship, if it really scares you.Ā  Or you can do a ship's excursion (safety in numbers sort of thing).

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

Ā 

It's about as safe as any other place you might travel to.Ā  Or, even as safe as your home town. ...

This really depends upon what your home town is like.

Ā 

Sadly, a lot of Mexico has become a combat zone Ā - when gangs are better armed than the police - and can force the police to back down from arrests, you have problems.

Ā 

Of course, tourists sticking to tourist areas, staying out of dodgy places, and sticking with others will most probably be OK.

Yes you will be fine. Cruiselines will not go to dangerous places. The problems in MexicoĀ  in general arenot against tourists but in the drugwworld, like in any other country in the world. Just leave valuables on the ship, donot drink too much, donot show a lot of money etc.

You can opt for a ship excursion and have a great time!

Based on the lack of information provided it is impossible to provide an informed opinion.

Ā 

Major cruise lines have shore based security departments that conduct regular inspections of ports of call, with the frequency based on the local risks. If the risks are deemed unacceptable or a national government issues a travel advisory, the cruise line will alter the itinerary.

Ā 

Example - on our next cruise we have already received 4 port changesĀ due to perceived security issues.

Ā 

You also did not advise where you reside, or definition of safe. My first port, as a 17 year old from a small town in UK, was Cristobal. On leaving the port, we observed 2 chaps on a balcony - one playing with a gun & the other sharpening a knife. We turned around and returned to the ship. However, now we would stop and analyse the surroundings & risks, as having travelled the world I have seen many similar types of situations.

Ā 

Only you can determine your comfort level.

We did this 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise a couple years ago,Ā Ā We thought it was an outstanding cruiseĀ and have booked it, again, for December 2020.

Ā 

I, very much, enjoyed walking around La Paz, but, to my way of thinking, Loreto was the best stop.

Ā 

As others have suggested, if you stick to the areas where all the tourists are, you will be quite comfortable and will have no problems.Ā Ā 

People who don't go to Mexico say all sorts of things!

We are also going on a similar cruise and have no worries about safety at all.

Yes, Mexican drug cartels fight with each other.

Yes, bad things happen in Mexico.

Do you know that some tourists from Europe are also afraid to come to the USA?

Bad things happen here too!

In general, cruisers have not been affected by the drug wars.

Hopefully that will remain the situation.

IF you are nervous stay on the ship.

• Like 1