Florida Resident Rate

woopuppy

This is my first time booking a cruise on MSC.  So not real familiar with the site when looking at cruises.  I booked a cruise 11-28-19 for January 2020.  I did a search and chose lowest price to highest price as a filter.  A great deal came up and it was for only one date so I clicked on the select button and decided to book it.  No where on the the original listing or through the booking process did it say "Florida Resident Rate".  My address for billing also was not a Florida address and no error or red flag popped up on the screen stating I was not eligible for this rate.  Not until I printed out the emails that were sent to me and was going over it did I see that was the "promotion" I was getting.  So I went back and if you select "See all pricing and details" then you see that it is a Florida Resident rate.  I had no reason to click on this as all the details I needed were there on the search results.  There was only one date and the itinerary was there.  Upon further investigating I see in tiny print that they will ask for you to show a Florida ID or be charged full cruise fare at the port.   So I called MSC this morning and they said it was fine that I would not be stopped at the port and required to show a Florida ID.  I was also told they book this for people all the time that do not live in Florida.  The agent did say to call back at noon today to talk to a supervisor.  She also stated I had 24 hours to cancel for a full refund.  Has this happened to anyone else?  

43 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've never yet seen a Florida resident rate on MSC and I live in Florida.

Hi.  Here are screenshots of what I first saw and then one of the one with Florida Resident Rate.  

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 7.41.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 12.48.34 PM.png

I saw something like this come up for me recently (agent site), just assumed it was because my host is also licensed in Florida.  Didn't pursue because we changed sailings.

Looks like a great deal. Are you going to call back to the supervisor at noon?

9 hours ago, woopuppy said:

Not until I printed out the emails that were sent to me and was going over it did I see that was the "promotion" I was getting.  So I went back and if you select "See all pricing and details" then you see that it is a Florida Resident rate.  I had no reason to click on this as all the details I needed were there on the search results.  

Obviously all the information you needed was not on the search results.

One must always check the details of any deal.

Be prepared to find that you will need to cancel and book under a rate that you qualify for.

And yes, when I book a Florida resident rate, I do need to show proof at check in (driver's license).

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Perhaps they don't offer those in Yacht Club.

Exactly. Yacht Club prices are not discounted for Florida residents. I noticed the banner “ Exclusive: Florida Resident Rate. 3 & 4-Night Cruises to Ocean Cay, Bahamas. Starting from $99 p.p. “. 

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I guess I don't understand why you think you should be eligible for a Florida resident rate.  I certainly wouldn't expect to be eligible for a Pennsylvania resident rate.  And, as I said, I've never seen a Florida resident rate on offer.  Perhaps they don't offer those in Yacht Club.

I never said I thought I should be eligible for the Florida resident rate and I don't appreciate you stating that.  I did call but didn't talk to a supervisor.  The agent I talked to stated anyone can book the Florida rate and it does say that also in the terms and conditions but also states about showing ID.  The agent did talk to the VP of sales and he stated you do not need a Florida ID and will not be asked for it.  I was sent an email stating all this and was told to print the email and take it with me in case I am asked.  They have been booking people with these rates for a couple of months and no one has been asked about an ID.  

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 7.43.51 PM.png

2 hours ago, jdvmd said:

Let us know how it turns out.

I did post the outcome in a previous email but here it is again for ya!  I did call but didn't talk to a supervisor.  The agent I talked to stated anyone can book the Florida rate and it does say that also in the terms and conditions but also states about showing ID.  The agent did talk to the VP of sales and he stated you do not need a Florida ID and will not be asked for it.  I was sent an email stating all this and was told to print the email and take it with me in case I am asked.  They have been booking people with these rates for a couple of months and no one has been asked about an ID.  

5 minutes ago, woopuppy said:

I did post the outcome in a previous email but here it is again for ya!  I did call but didn't talk to a supervisor.  The agent I talked to stated anyone can book the Florida rate and it does say that also in the terms and conditions but also states about showing ID.  The agent did talk to the VP of sales and he stated you do not need a Florida ID and will not be asked for it.  I was sent an email stating all this and was told to print the email and take it with me in case I am asked.  They have been booking people with these rates for a couple of months and no one has been asked about an ID.  

I saw this but thought you were going to speak to a supervisor based on your first phone call.

1 hour ago, jdvmd said:

I saw this but thought you were going to speak to a supervisor based on your first phone call.

I tried to when I called but the agent was able to get the answer for me without having to talk to a supervisor.  I will say MSC does have the nicest customer service people working for them.  

Please check your cruise documents when you receive them.  If the rate and restrictions (ID) are listed on your boarding documents, you may have a hold up boarding the ship in spite of any email you may have received.

Remember, you are dealing with contract employees at the pier and they may have different instructions about checking in passengers.

My friends and I just booked last minute for January and got the same "Florida rate." We were told that it is just a U.S. promotion with that as its name but we don't have to be residents of Florida. Only one of us is but we all got the same fare.

Edited by MJC

On 11/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, woopuppy said:

So I called MSC this morning and they said it was fine that I would not be stopped at the port and required to show a Florida ID.  I was also told they book this for people all the time that do not live in Florida.  The agent did say to call back at noon today to talk to a supervisor.  She also stated I had 24 hours to cancel for a full refund.  Has this happened to anyone else?  

SHOCKING that IF they are going to start/use a FL rate that they aren't going to enforce the ID/prove residency requirement.

WHY have a FL rate policy (future?) and not actually enforce it?

I am really wondering about these statements.

When my daughter and son-on-law booked teachers rates, only they (and not us) could have the rate and they had to provide proof of employment.

On the same cruise, we had a Florida resident rate and we needed to show ID with a Florida address.

Maybe the rate is mislabeled on the website and it is strictly a last minute booking rate.

• Like 1

Perhaps if they named it US Only Rate it would have created publicity issues. It's no different really than a US line offering cheap fares in states with port cities to fill empty cabins by marketing to people who live close by.  The name is what causes confusion. We freaked at first too but I'm all checked in with my NY address and no flags appeared. Passport should be the only ID required. 

Edited by MJC
Add info.

37 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Wait, hold on....

You booked a 6 day cruise for $79pp?

I actually booked a balcony for $129 pp.  I was trying to do the honest thing and called them about it because I honestly did not know at the time I booked it that it was a Florida rate.  When I discovered it I called before the 24 hours time frame to cancel it and to get a full refund.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Please check your cruise documents when you receive them.  If the rate and restrictions (ID) are listed on your boarding documents, you may have a hold up boarding the ship in spite of any email you may have received.

Remember, you are dealing with contract employees at the pier and they may have different instructions about checking in passengers.

I did double check my cruise documents and it only states I need my passport.  No where on the documents does it say Florida resident rate.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, familyoutdoors said:

Care to share?

The pics I attached to this thread are from the website and the email is specific to me and my husband with our names in it.  My advice if you want an email also is to call MSC and ask for one.  

• Like 1