Do we need to change for Afternoon Tea or dance lessons?

lissie

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And ice creams at about 3pm.😀😀

Fruit kebabs mid morning, sandwiches around noon, ice cream after lunch and afternoon tea trolly [laden as already said] for both deck 11 and 12 on the Vistas.

Afternoon tea is served outside, on 11 in my experience, as long as it's not raining. Many a time I've been bundled up in blankets, reading in the [very] fresh air and sustenance  is offered, just in case I can't last until dinner! We are definitely spoilt, and I love it.

15 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Fruit kebabs mid morning, sandwiches around noon, ice cream after lunch and afternoon tea trolly [laden as already said] for both deck 11 and 12 on the Vistas.

Afternoon tea is served outside, on 11 in my experience, as long as it's not raining. Many a time I've been bundled up in blankets, reading in the [very] fresh air and sustenance  is offered, just in case I can't last until dinner! We are definitely spoilt, and I love it.

Given the time it sometimes takes for the lift to reach the highest decks, it is perhaps wise to avail oneself of the sustenance, just in case...

• Like 1

lassie,

Your list of clothing that you and your husband plan to bring very much matches what my wife and I brought on our two 7-day crossings on the QM2 with the exception of the dancing shoes (wish we needed them). There was also my wife's make-up bag, small lighted makeup mirror and a small set of hot rollers. We didn't even come close to getting it all into one bag and I think we are pretty good packers. If you do pull it off in one bag, I see a How-to YouTube video in your future. When it comes to bag weight, our experience is that Cunard doesn't really care but the airlines do. Overweight bags are going to cost you. How much depends on the specific airline and, in some cases, your status. I hope you will give us all a post trip report on this and all of the issues raised in this thread. Based on your comments, research and exceptions, I think you are going to have an amazing voyage.

Jack

• Like 1

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Actually it's not usually the remnants, at least on the Vistas. I have seen the laden trolley being manoeuvred in to the lift to go up to the terrace, while still waiting to be served in the restaurant.

Beg to differ but we never saw the range of goods that were available in the grills restaurant for afternoon tea, nor the volume and we were on QE at the time.

32 minutes ago, Aspidestra99 said:

Beg to differ but we never saw the range of goods that were available in the grills restaurant for afternoon tea, nor the volume and we were on QE at the time.

What bad luck.,I've found the scones are ready spread, but other than it all seems pretty much the same, but I couldn't swear the sandwich selection is as wide, I must admit.

1 hour ago, Aspidestra99 said:

Never having done a direct comparison on the day, I can't argue other than to say the trolley has a pretty comprehensive array of savoury and sweet -scones can be ''unadorned'. Volume isn't a problem as the trolley can be refreshed. Seems pretty similar to in-dining to me and that's over many years of afternoon tea, both inside and deckside.

A shame you didn't experience this. Maybe next time.

6 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

lassie,

Your list of clothing that you and your husband plan to bring very much matches what my wife and I brought on our two 7-day crossings on the QM2 with the exception of the dancing shoes (wish we needed them). There was also my wife's make-up bag, small lighted makeup mirror and a small set of hot rollers. We didn't even come close to getting it all into one bag and I think we are pretty good packers. If you do pull it off in one bag, I see a How-to YouTube video in your future. When it comes to bag weight, our experience is that Cunard doesn't really care but the airlines do. Overweight bags are going to cost you. How much depends on the specific airline and, in some cases, your status. I hope you will give us all a post trip report on this and all of the issues raised in this thread. Based on your comments, research and exceptions, I think you are going to have an amazing voyage.

Jack

LOL thanks - yes well aware of airline weight limits - that's how I normally travel.   Idon't do youtube videos (find watching someone pack very boring) - but I did do a photo essay for my last trip which was carry on to a cold climate. Note sure if I'll get banned for dropping a link? https://midlifetravel.com/packing-for-cold-weather-in-china-carry-on-edition/

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 2:55 AM, lissie said:

I'm impressed  - yes they do offer the service for US$324  for a standard bag!  That's actually  more than we've just paid for the return flight to Sydney from Wellington (per person including luggage) 

I'm pretty sure that I can get our luggage down to one bag between us and still cover the  dress requirements.  From what I'm hearing above my clothes list is something like this: 

HIM: 

1 tux or dark suit 

tie or bow tie as appropriate

waistcoat  

1 jacket 

2 pairs of chinos 

2 pairs of shorts 

1 white shirt (for tux) 

3 other shirts (for other evenings) 

4 other t-shirts/ tops for day (its the tropics) 

1 pair of dance shoes (formal) 

1 pair of causal shoes 

1 pair of sandals 

1 pair of reef shoes 

togs and underwear /sox 

sunhat 

ME: 

1 long evening dress which looks like a skirt if I put a top over it 

3 evening tops to go with above for the formal nights 

2   dressier skirts for evenings 

another 3-4 tops   dressy to go with the above 

1 day skirt 

2 pairs shorts 

4-5  singlets/t-shirts for day time 

a long-sleeved light jacket  if I need another layer in the day time 

1 pair of formal sandals

1 pair dance shoes 

1 pair of casual  sandals 

1 pair of walking sandals - Tevas 

reef shoes 

togs and underwear 

sunhat 

My stuff is all very lightweight and  will roll into very small area - his stuff is more bulky and heavier. I haven't tried yet - but I'm pretty sure this will all fit into a 30kg weight limit and a mid-sized suitcase. 

Its a helluva lot more than I would normally travel with - but less than some I expect 

Can I just point out that dresses are more than acceptable. You don't have to put a top over your evening dress to make it look like a skirt. I always wear dresses in the evening. In fact I don't have any skirts at all. I will definitely be in the majority. I take long dresses for formal nights and cocktail length for other nights. Obviously, skirts are easier to make look different by using different tops, but don't feel it has to be skirts. Wear your dress as a dress and enjoy it.

38 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

Can I just point out that dresses are more than acceptable. You don't have to put a top over your evening dress to make it look like a skirt. I always wear dresses in the evening. In fact I don't have any skirts at all. I will definitely be in the majority. I take long dresses for formal nights and cocktail length for other nights. Obviously, skirts are easier to make look different by using different tops, but don't feel it has to be skirts. Wear your dress as a dress and enjoy it.

Are you misunderstand - my dress is full length - sleevless and made of jersey material - plain black. I'll wear that each formal and  use the tops to make it look different on 3 of the 4 nights.  Its very packable and needs no ironing - I do have a lovely full length brocade skirt - but I'm not ironing on a cruise!  I actually have a number of full length formal dresses - but I'm minimizing the packing as much as possible. Once you've travelled carry-on only you tend to resent every extra bag! 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:36 AM, pully8 said:

Another marvellous thread about dress codes.

All for behaving and dressing appropriately.

Difficult/confusing at times  given our increasingly changing world and social norms.

We have had beautiful afternoon teas served in the traditional style on other cruises.

A favourite was on Oceania Cruises, yet to try Cunard but its planned.

We are looking forward to the experience and will do our best to be compliant.

We loved the comedy show Keeping up Appearances, tiny shades of the narrative are present, and wonder if Mrs Bucket/ Boo kaye, or her relatives will be on board?  .

Good afternoon Pulley8.

Couldn't agree with you more about the exceedingly high standard of afternoon tea served onboard Oceania cruise ships...

688044567_HighTeaselectionTrolleySR.thumb.jpg.56013a6810e8629da507e0bf53f15990.jpg

2027145596_TeatablestodieforSR.thumb.jpg.4b1f323b544c0dedea7ce7531d040a59.jpg

Of course there wasn't the Cunard ballroom but I can stomach that for the country club ambiance on offer which far exceeds even the Grills offering on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth.