Change of Ports..Arcadia due to bad weather.

hansol1966

10 hours ago, reilly1 said:

Heard from a friend on board they can’t get into Stavanger either so 5 straight nights at sea in high seas!

You are correct, we have missed Stavanger and are currently sailing off the Norway coast near Bergen. Sea still lumpy but wind and swell are much decreased. Missed port letters for insurance have been delivered to cabins. Now for the North Sea and home.

18 hours ago, reilly1 said:

My husband and I were on this sailing and flew home from Tromso, along with others. It was our 46th cruise so we’re not new to it at all. It wasn’t a nice experience. It was rough to very rough from the start. No let up at all and difficult to sleep with the constant pitching, rolling and noise. We are glad to be home. Have heard from a friend on board that they now have to miss Stavanger as it’s so bad! Three ports on a 12 night cruise isn’t for us at all! 

No issues with the ship itself and the crew are great but far too rough weather to sail so far North. 

Many people we spoke to were very frightened and wished they could get off, but not everyone could afford the last minute expensive flights from Norway and had to stay. We got home after flying to Oslo then London then Belfast and I’m glad we did.

Hi Reilly. So glad you got home safely. No doubt in my mind that if you found it so uncomfortable, you made the best choice for you. Seas from Tromso were heavier than you experienced going North. It has calmed down a bit now but it is all relative. 

Hi Colleen and George,

Hilary kept us informed of your progress home. It was worse coming south, so, in your case, I think you made the right decision. However, with 46 cruises under your belt, I really hope (after a bit of thought) you don't give up cruising forever like you said you might. Definately Jane and my worst cruise regarding weather, but hasn't put us off. Saw Hilary this morning and she said she enjoyed it(!) and was hoping to get Jude on another cruise or even flying again!!

Take care and hope to see you on future travels.

Simon (& Jane)

Just back today and didn’t use the internet after Åndalsnes which was beautiful scenic town. I back all the comments about the weather...Relentless. After switching from Tromso to Narvik on the Sunday because of the extra bad weather near Tromso I said to my wife we would not make Stavanger. Narvik when we arrived was deep in snow with heavy snowfall blowing while we waited for the shuttle coach. With a long wait we were like the empourer penguins caked in snow. But was great this was what North Norway should be like. I felt sorry for anybody booked on a Northern lights tour as it was very cloudy and overcast. Will try to post a review over the next few days after getting used to sunlight...it’s a strange world up their.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon & Jane

Well..... it was bound to happen on a cruise at some stage. We have no regrets about abandoning ship! It was awful weather, 

However, we have just upgraded to a suite on our Britannia cruise in April!

Would love to see you both on the seas again. I fully admit I wasn’t at my best on this one, but it was the cruise from hell! 

Colleen (& George) 

Edited by reilly1
Typo
  • Like 1

Simon & Jane

Well..... it was bound to happen on a cruise at some stage. We have no regrets about abandoning ship! It was awful weather, 

However, we have just upgraded to a suite on our Britannia cruise in April!

Would love to see you both on the seas again. I fully admit I wasn’t at my best on this one, but it was the cruise from hell! 

Colleen (& George) 

Hillary is safe home too. 

Glad you've had a re think and not cancelled everything. How Hilary managed with all that luggage, I've no idea!!

Simon

I know! Jude just brought the hand luggage home! They are coming over to visit us in Belfast in March.

I see the next Arcadia cruise was delayed until 4.00am this morning due to bad weather. Not having much luck at all.

Colleen

Just had to reply to not getting into Stavanger....After leaving Tromso with the weather there was no chance of getting near to Stavanger so as the captain broadcast we will sail direct to Southampton. As with all cruise ships the major directive is to get back to port to pick up the new cruise passengers on time.