Venice to Barcelona late Oct.

Punam

We did the Med in Sept and May. Calm seas both times although Sept was calmer than May. Thinking of going back Oct 22nd in mid shipsuite. Nobody can predict the weather, but if you sailed this time of year in same area, I'd appreciate your comments/thoughts. 

Thanks!

Venice often deals with Acqua Alta at that time of year - high water that can flood the city.  It was really, really bad last year.  We missed it by about 10 days.  The wind can also be a big issue in October.  Those are the two main concerns. 

When we were in the Med. during the first week of October, that's what we had a problem with - high wind and big waves.  It's just that time of year.  Who knows though?  You could have warm days with flat seas.  

11 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Venice often deals with Acqua Alta at that time of year - high water that can flood the city.  It was really, really bad last year.  We missed it by about 10 days.  The wind can also be a big issue in October.  Those are the two main concerns. 

When we were in the Med. during the first week of October, that's what we had a problem with - high wind and big waves.  It's just that time of year.  Who knows though?  You could have warm days with flat seas.  

Thanks! Maybe we'll try early Sept. again. Price was much better end of Oct, but there's always a reason:)

• Like 1

Hi. We’ve cruised the Med in October for the last 10 years. We can count the number of bad weather days on one hand!  This year we cruised 28th October to 5th November and the only cool and damp day was our departure day. The sun shone and the seas were calm for the rest of the cruise. The only disadvantage that we found was some of places we visited had ‘closed up’ as their season had finished. 

ended my cruise on 22nd oct this year.  We flew back from Genoa, the flooding was so bad a few people died including a taxi driver who; s car was swept away after a picke up from the airport. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50151713

On the cruise the weather had been mainly lovely in the day but to cool to sit out in the evening. Seas were fine mostly but quite rough a few times, I had to  go lie down one afternoon.

• Like 1

We were on Edge TA in October out of Civitavecchia.   The seas were smooth until we got to Toulon France where we were hit with near hurricane force winds.  The ship suffered some damage from broken glass and some trim being ripped off the ship.   The seas were very rough and even some of the crew were feeling the effects.

I have sailed the same route on the same dates previously and the weather was perfect, so I guess you can never tell.

• Like 2

We have done several fall Med cruises, and the weather has generally been good.  One factor we like is that the temps are cooler than the hottest times of the year, but still warm.  We were on the Constellation from October 1st to the 30th this year, and the only bad weather we had was in Villefranche with heavy rains.  

My wife and I sailed B2B (Venice-Rome-Barcelona) leaving Venice on Oct 10 and arriving Barcelona on Oct 30.  The weather was perfect except on day in Villefranche where it rained off and on. The temperature was in the mid to upper 70's every day. The sea was flat for the full cruise except there was a little chop near Villefranche. We started our trip in Iceland, then Norway and 4 days in Venice before we left on the cruise and the weather was fantastic during the entire time. You never know what the weather is to be.

Just keep in mind that October is the beginning of Venice's infamous "acqua alta" season.  For those not familiar with the term it means flooding and this year the flooding was really nasty (5 feet high in some places).   Personally we do not care too much about sea conditions (DW and I actually enjoy when a ship has some movement) but we sure care about heavy rain and flooding when in a port.  Ironically we were in Italy this October and had gorgeous weather for the several days we spent in Florence.  But a week later the heavy rains hit Venice and Florence (where they also had flooding).  

• Like 1

Also, when we were in Croatia and Montenegro last year, they said the heavy winds usually start the week after we were there, so by the first week in October.  I guess they are really pretty regular.  That can bar you from docking at a few locations in the Adriatic area.  We missed Split due to the wind and the worst of it wasn't even hitting that area yet.

18 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Also, when we were in Croatia and Montenegro last year, they said the heavy winds usually start the week after we were there, so by the first week in October.  I guess they are really pretty regular.  That can bar you from docking at a few locations in the Adriatic area.  We missed Split due to the wind and the worst of it wasn't even hitting that area yet.

Yikes. Good to know. Thanks very much!

• Like 1