Thinking about using ncl transfers in lga need some advice

mamashamiller

We are going on bliss Sunday 2/16.  I was going to fly in that morning but then got some advice to use the trains.  This still makes me nervous day of because the threat of snow.    So plan b is to fly into lga the day before stay some close to get back to airport next day.

so any close hotels you recommend and where do I find the ncl transfer rep on sail day?

thanks so much in advance 

45 minutes ago, mamashamiller said:

I was going to fly in that morning but then got some advice to use the trains.

Easiest door to door would be a taxi or Uber into Manhattan, especially with luggage. 

46 minutes ago, mamashamiller said:

So plan b is to fly into lga the day before stay some close to get back to airport next day.

If you are going on a cruise departing Manhattan why would you want to go back to the airport? LaGuardia is a mess right now with the renovation they are doing-- you don't want to go back there if you can avoid it, even for a cruise line transfer. Even if you don't stay in Manhattan, just avoid going back to LGA. In fact, it sounds like you haven't booked a flight yet so I would try and avoid LGA entirely to save yourself a lot of potential aggravation. 

49 minutes ago, mamashamiller said:

We are going on bliss Sunday 2/16.  I was going to fly in that morning but then got some advice to use the trains.  This still makes me nervous day of because the threat of snow.    So plan b is to fly into lga the day before stay some close to get back to airport next day.

so any close hotels you recommend and where do I find the ncl transfer rep on sail day?

thanks so much in advance 

Have you priced out hotels in Manhattan?  I’m seeing some very competitive prices on Hotwire and lastminutetravel.com for your Feb 15 date.  Fly in early and enjoy the city instead of staying at an airport hotel in Queens.

8 hours ago, 138east said:

Have you priced out hotels in Manhattan?  I’m seeing some very competitive prices on Hotwire and lastminutetravel.com for your Feb 15 date.  Fly in early and enjoy the city instead of staying at an airport hotel in Queens.

Any favorites near penn station?

maybe I’ll go back to taking train from boston

3 hours ago, mamashamiller said:

Any favorites near penn station?

maybe I’ll go back to taking train from boston

Not a favorite - but Hotel Pennsylvania across street from Penn Station is least expensive in the area - kind of run down, but safe - and very convenient location.

Stick to the train  — less expensive, a lot easier, almost as fast, and much less subject to weather delays  than flying in February.

I’m sailing from Cape Liberty on Jan 27 and am taking the train from Boston on Jan 26 and staying at the Element on W 39th St near Penn Station.  This is my snow plan since I’m sure I can get to CL on public transportation.

My advice is to look at the Marriott web site, join Marriott rewards for free, and book a non refundable reservation now.  The Marriott Vacation Club Pulse is showing at about $168 tax included and is located between 5th & 6th Ave on 37th St, which is not far from Penn Station.  The New York Marriott East Side near Grand Central is about $188 tax included.

Also look at other hotels like Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn, which have properties near Penn Station.  Holiday Inn is running about $188 tax included.

For the train book now.  IMO the northeast regional train (as opposed to the Acela) gives you an excellent value for an additional 20 minutes.

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not a favorite - but Hotel Pennsylvania across street from Penn Station is least expensive in the area - kind of run down, but safe - and very convenient location.

Stick to the train  — less expensive, a lot easier, almost as fast, and much less subject to weather delays  than flying in February.

Hotel Penn. being rundown is an understatement.  Would be my last choice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tompeter said:

Hotel Penn. being rundown is an understatement.  Would be my last choice.

Absolutely the worst choice in NYC, possibly on the East Coast.

Dirty and infested.  Often used by groups booking tours as they see cheap prices and jump at it.  Read the reviews on TripAdvisor.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Absolutely the worst choice in NYC, possibly on the East Coast.

Dirty and infested.  Often used by groups booking tours as they see cheap prices and jump at it.  Read the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Agree here-- Hotel Pennsylvania is a dump. The Hotel New Yorker on the other side of the station used to be a flop house as well but seems to have gotten a reasonable renovation recently after it was taken over by Wyndham-- I would do some research though. The St Regis it is not, but my guess is The New Yorker will be a lot nicer than Hotel Pennsylvania.

The Roosevelt is another large, formerly grand hotel, that is well located (by Grand Central) and is often a lot more inexpensive than others that immediately surround it. I have not stayed there myself but its around the corner from my NY office and we have put staff there and they reported back that the renovation was reasonably nice. 

Frankly if keeping it inexpensive is the biggest goal, the newer the hotel you can find in New York generally the better off you are though. There are a bunch of Hampton Inns, Holiday Inns, etc that are newer that will most likely be the best experience. The older grande dame hotels are really only a good bet in NYC when they are in the 5 star category (and won't be cheap).