Home security camera using VOOM?

rob6465

On 12/5/2019 at 3:01 PM, Ashland said:

I tried to watch my Ring doorbell while on the Adventure...fires in my area...I had purchased Voom/Surf Stream and also the cruise package with AT&T (most data plan offered) and went over my data and was charged.

I saw several people checking their home cameras multiple times and multiple cameras and seemed to have no concerns about usage...what (plan carrier) could they have had that I should consider changing to ?

Did you leave your phone in airplane mode?  The AT&T pkg is for cellular service, ships use satellites…you need to stay in airplane mode

Just now, awhfy said:

The AT&T pkg is for cellular service, ships use satellites…you need to stay in airplane mode

Ships have their own built in cell tower which is activated when far enough away from land-based coverage. Your phone will connect to that tower, though your wallet might not like the result.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Did you leave your phone in airplane mode?  The AT&T pkg is for cellular service, ships use satellites…you need to stay in airplane mode

My post was rather old as we don't purchase the AT&T cruise pkg any longer. I now leave my iPhone on airplane mode and WiFi on and have at times been able to view my ring doorbell.

Hi there! I have an RCL wifi security camera, and it's been working great for me. I can watch my cameras from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. It is a great way to stay connected to my home and family. While living in Ukraine, I successfully used RCL wifi to watch my home security cameras. I have found that the security company oh holding I hired to monitor my house and property is very reliable and has always been quick to respond to any issues that have arisen. Let me know if you encounter any difficulties!

Edited by RamiroWoods

On 11/25/2022 at 8:21 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

I started reading this and saw Bob (Clarea) was posting and was like "No way, Bob's back!"...whomp whomp 

I must have missed something, what happened to bob?  He was like a staple and then he disappeared.

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

I must have missed something, what happened to bob?  He was like a staple and then he disappeared.

I'm not sure. Back when he left the boards, the explanation given by another member was something along the lines of him wanting to spend more time dedicated to his wife and family, or something along those lines. I haven't seen him back since. 

• 3 months later...

Hey there! I can totally relate to your concerns about keeping an eye on your home while on an adventure. It's always great to have peace of mind when it comes to the safety of your home. When I faced a similar situation, I switched to a home security system from Vivint (https://www.vivint.com/packages/security-cameras). It really helped me with my monitoring needs. Just the other day, my neighbor told me a story about how he was able to catch someone trying to break into his house while he was on vacation.

Edited by stacyschrist