AARP & PAYPAL

richfret

I you are trying to buy a Carnival gift card from AARP, forget it.  They are forcing you to use PayPal and PayPal is not equipped to handle the situation.  They will take all your data and then the system freezes and no one can resolve the situation.  The word "PROCESSING" will show up across the screen and nothing else happens.  AARP says it is a PayPal problem.  PayPal says it is AARP.  They are probably both right.

Dealing with buying gift cards through AARP has turned out to be an exercise in futility. Waste of energy. The program is garbage. I knew it would turn out to be a joke once they announced for months that they were changing the program but then weren't ready when they finally did. I'm thankful to be able to use Allstate although I know that simply doesn't work for everyone. It can be tricky. If that option ever goes away, I'm back to paying full price unless something other than AARP rewards is around. 

I also used AARP for buying Carnival Gift Cards. If ain't broke .... don't fix it .... comes to mind. 🤔  Yeah ... sigh .....

For those who do have Pay Pal, like myself, purchasing my 2 gift cards last week was quite simple. Just a heads up.

🎄🎄

Bobbi 

You are also limited to one Carnival Gift Card per month, and right now only the $100 card is available.  And, they are eGift Cards, which, from time to time, have issues of their own.  I won't risk it right now.

You can join Allstate Drivewise, without having to have Allstate insurance.  If you are new, you get enough points to purchase three $500 cards, just for joining.  You get more points for driving under 80 mph, and not doing any hard braking.  It monitors your GPS on your smart phone. So there are those privacy issues, but not an issue for me.

Allstate uses the same company, Deluxe, to run the program, that AARP used before the big switch.  They still sell the hard cards.  The only issue I had with Deluxe was requiring a signature to receive cards worth $500 or more, but not providing tracking numbers when they are shipped. They also still have the better cards for other things, such as restaurant discounts, with no limits on the number of cards you can purchase.

Edited by cruzincat50

I had no problems getting my Carnival gift cards—1 in November and 1 in December.  PayPal worked quickly and easily.  Fast delivery of my e-gift card. I never had a problem in the past with e-gift cards. Now if only AARP would fix my problem of not being able to earn points since Nov 19. No problem redeeming. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, richfret said:

I you are trying to buy a Carnival gift card from AARP, forget it.  They are forcing you to use PayPal and PayPal is not equipped to handle the situation.  They will take all your data and then the system freezes and no one can resolve the situation.  The word "PROCESSING" will show up across the screen and nothing else happens.  AARP says it is a PayPal problem.  PayPal says it is AARP.  They are probably both right.

I am sorry for your problems. I have now bought two with this new system. I hope it works for you!

11 hours ago, cruzincat50 said:

You are also limited to one Carnival Gift Card per month, and right now only the $100 card is available.  And, they are eGift Cards, which, from time to time, have issues of their own.  I won't risk it right now.

You can join Allstate Drivewise, without having to have Allstate insurance.  If you are new, you get enough points to purchase three $500 cards, just for joining.  You get more points for driving under 80 mph, and not doing any hard braking.  It monitors your GPS on your smart phone. So there are those privacy issues, but not an issue for me.

Allstate uses the same company, Deluxe, to run the program, that AARP used before the big switch.  They still sell the hard cards.  The only issue I had with Deluxe was requiring a signature to receive cards worth $500 or more, but not providing tracking numbers when they are shipped. They also still have the better cards for other things, such as restaurant discounts, with no limits on the number of cards you can purchase.

Yeah, that was the limitation I didn't like: 1 per month. I do, however, like the convenience of an e-card. Going to have to check out the Allstate option again. It looked way to confusing when I checked before...

I'm not going to give paypal my credit card number.  Sorry, it's just not something I do.

I'll check out Allstate.  I've been an Allstate customer for years.  Now if I can just do it on the PC and not on my cell phone.  I tried logging in to Allstate and they want me to download an app.  I'm old fashioned and old and just like to do things on my PC where I know I have a firewall for protection.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, E@syPe@zy said:

I'm not going to give paypal my credit card number.  Sorry, it's just not something I do.

I'll check out Allstate.  I've been an Allstate customer for years.  Now if I can just do it on the PC and not on my cell phone.  I tried logging in to Allstate and they want me to download an app.  I'm old fashioned and old and just like to do things on my PC where I know I have a firewall for protection.

Then you sure don't want to give AARP your credit card number.

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, E@syPe@zy said:

The only thing the app does is track your braking and speed.  You don't have to load up a credit card on the app for your phone.  Only to purchase cards from your PC on the Allstate site.

6 hours ago, cruzincat50 said:

The only thing the app does is track your braking and speed.  You don't have to load up a credit card on the app for your phone.  Only to purchase cards from your PC on the Allstate site.

Actually I have had great success with the Allstate Drivewise App.  I am a customer of Allstate and received a sweet sign up bonus of $230.  I order the cards off of my PC. and use a credit card.  I just ordered a $500 card on Wednesday evening and received it today via UPS.  Nice quick turn around.

I had checked back with AARP and saw that they were accepting credit cards for payment now, so I ordered one at the end of Jan. and another $100 card at the beginning of Feb.  Evidently the time period does not have to be 30 days.  Literally,

just one a month.

I have not had any issues with e-cards as I booked a cruise with them this week and they were fine.  However I did check them out before calling my PVP and they were both legitimate.  

To me it's not a big enough savings to worry about.i actually had no intentions of ever cruising carnival again but my wife wanted to go to Cuba and she chose carnival so I paid with gift cards .when Cuba got cancelled I took the refund which came back as gift cards.so I'm forced to take another on carnival next year.i have points from my carnival MasterCard also to use up that for some reason I couldn't redeem them on our last carnival Cruise three years ago.which I'm going to use for cruise cash so I can cancel that card.i need to put some miles on my motorhome anyway.

10 minutes ago, tigereye said:

When I attempted to buy a gift card I received the message that I had bought my limit. I guess you only get 3, no matter how long  between buys. That's the only reason I was a member.

You waited a full month between each gift card purchase? Wow. Another reason to not even think about buying gift cards through AARP. I use Allstate Rewards exclusively now. Much easier, and no headaches. Sorry for your frustrations.