Do I really need to associate credit card/cash deposit on board?

CarolinaQC

Hi! I'm boarding MSC Meraviglia soon. I'm a first time cruiser so I have a lot of doubts about the overall cruise world. 
I've read you are expected to associate your credit card to the cruise card once on board. I've got a drinks package and I've pre-paid gratuities. I really don't want to buy anything else on board, do I still have to associate a credit card to my onboard account // do I still have to leave a cash deposit? Am I obligated to do so? Not really sure how this works... 
Thanks in advance, I've learner A LOT with cruise critic, thank you so much you all!

5 hours ago, slei15 said:

You don’t have to on MSC, however, if you do decide to buy something on your card or charge anything to your cabin it will take you forever to stand in line and settle your account on debarkation day. 

I don't think this is correct, but I'd love to hear, either way, from other MSC-experienced cruisers.

You can nominate cash as your method of payment. But if you change your mind they don't let you switch to credit card method. You have to queue at end of cruise to settle account.

If you are positive you won't spend anything why don't you link your credit card? That way if you decide to buy an ice-cream you won't need to stand in line for an hour to pay your account?

it's safe if you use a credit card (not a debit card)

what fears do you have that you don't want to use cash /credit card?

11 hours ago, slei15 said:

You don’t have to on MSC, however, if you do decide to buy something on your card or charge anything to your cabin it will take you forever to stand in line and settle your account on debarkation day. 

5 hours ago, kerryincork said:

what fears do you have that you don't want to use cash /credit card?

Thank you very much for all the answers!
It's not that I've fears in using credit card, it's actually the matter of not having one of my own 😔 ...
The cruise trip was a gift for graduating this year, I don't really have money of my own, so I don't want to/can't really spend anything more on board... 
Will be taking debit card with money basically to emergencies and things I really need (so I also really didn't want to have that money bloqued to cruise use)...
What would you recomend? Maybe if that's really possible I rather not associate any kind of card/money and "take the risk" of having to wait in line at the end...

This might be too much to ask but have any ideia if Revolut cards work as credit cards on board?

What ever you do don't give them your debit card details. You can use this at the end of the cruise to pay off your account.

As people have said if you pay in (which is OK) you just have to close your account on the last night. All you have to do is keep an eye on the queues and jump in when it is less busy. This will probably be around dinner time or when a show is on. It's not the end of world if you have to queue for an hour.

On MSC you set up your payment method on Board so no one in the port will be asking for credit card details. If anyone asks just tell them you are going to service desk to pay with cash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kerryincork said:

What ever you do don't give them your debit card details. You can use this at the end of the cruise to pay off your account.

As people have said if you pay in (which is OK) you just have to close your account on the last night. All you have to do is keep an eye on the queues and jump in when it is less busy. This will probably be around dinner time or when a show is on. It's not the end of world if you have to queue for an hour.

On MSC you set up your payment method on Board so no one in the port will be asking for credit card details. If anyone asks just tell them you are going to service desk to pay with cash.

Perfect, thank you so much, it was really helpful!