Christmas and New Year cruise

hollyjess

Travelling to/from cold bright and sunny or wet and windy.  If you are lucky the weather patterns will have moved to less anti-cyclonic by then and you can have some lovely calm and bright sea days on the way down/up, but still cold.

Canaries temperatures of 17 to 21 and pleasant is most likely.

On our first cruise, we went to the Canaries and finally to Madeira on Christmas eve.  Having had 4 days or so in the sun we had developed the brits abroad "shorts everywhere" mindset, we did a tour to the higher points of Madeira.  I can still vividly remember a particular moment of being somewhat cold and shivering (understatement) whilst some erstwhile Madeirans passed by us in full ski wear!  

Madeira/Canaries be careful if you take a tour to the higher levels, it will most likely be warm at sea level but in winter can be really cold the higher up that you go. 

Edited by crompton21
  • Like 1

This will be our fourth Xmas/new year cruise in the Canaries and it has always been warm and sunny.....so much so I swam in the sea at La Gomera and Gran Canaria two years ago!

I will be taking summer clothes for a week and warmer clothes for a week....even Lisbon is mid teens at the moment ! Layers are probably a good idea and a cagoule or light raincoat also ! I also have a micro fleece for days at sea and a gilet all useful to have with you.

You will need sun protection!  Forecast temperatures for December in Tenerife range from 16 to 19 on BBC Weather.....Gran Canaria 22 the week before Christmas! So go prepared and don't forget your swim things !!!!!!!

23 hours ago, hollyjess said:

Can anyone give us some advice regarding what clothes to pack for Christmas and New Year cruise to Canaries.

Guessing this is the Oceana cruise which I'm also on .

I'm guessing the 1st and last 2 days of the cruise will be freezing , getting milder as we reach southern Portugal . I've spent a few holidays in The Canaries over Christmas , and apart from a rain shower on 1 visit , the weather has always been around 20C in the daytime to 15C low overnight . Just checked the BBC weather for Tenerife which is forecast to be 24C high and 15C low for Dec 23rd , which is above the norm for that time of year .

This will be my first 2 week cruise , so having a think on what best to pack , especially considering the variances across the cruise.