Istanbul: Tops to Visit in 2020??!!

From Travel and Leisure magazine yesterday, they had this headline: “50 Best Places to Travel in 2020” with spotlighted attention as a top option for: Istanbul.  T+L rates these top areas as "must-visit vacation destinations, and with something to suit every interest — food, shopping, culture, history, and nature."

Here are some of the story highlights:   "In 2019, the opening of the monstrous Istanbul New Airport — now the world's biggest — brought Istanbul back into travelers' field of vision.This year, cultural openings have the city abuzz. Arter is putting Istanbul back on the map as an art capital: The angular mosaic-wrapped building houses the city's — and country's — first permanent collection of contemporary art, showcasing more than a thousand works by Turkish and global artists throughout six floors and terraces. After a few years of slow growth, Istanbul's hotel game is heating up again, particularly with the impending christening of the new Six Senses Kocatas. An hour-long ferry ride up the Bosphorus, in a quiet seaside district, the luxury hotel brand transformed a pair of opulent Ottoman-era mansions into a boutique hotel unlike any other. Add to that the city's newest hammam, the intimate Curkurcuma Hamami — a gleaming 19th century white marble bath that was painstakingly renovated for 11 years — which isn't in overcrowded Sultanahmet, but tucked away on the charming cobblestone streets of Çukurcuma. To top it off, the long-in-the-works Galataport cruise terminal is set to open this spring. Despite all the flashy openings, you can still visit old favorites like the Hagia Sophia Museum, Topkapi Palace, and Ciragan Palace Kempinski, because Istanbul is a city that has all but mastered the precarious art of commingling traditional with contemporary.." 

Glad that we enjoyed Istanbul and the Turkish in 2006 to gain a sampling of these world-class sights and locations.  Might post later more details and pictures for what we did in these parts of Turkey before things got a little "challenged" by recent "tensions" and safety questions in this historic and interesting country.   Reactions and comments from others who have recently visited Istanbul?

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2020

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 16,770 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 1

We just came back from a cruise on MSC Lirica that made an overnight stop in Istanbul. The port was a substitute for Haifa, Israel due to security concerns in Israel. People were very friendly, the Hagia Sofia was an amazing place to visit as was the old Turkish bazaar. We thoroughly enjoyed our stop and the people we talked to seemed genuinely happy to see the cruise ships stopping again in Istanbul.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snowcat said:

We just came back from a cruise on MSC Lirica that made an overnight stop in Istanbul. The port was a substitute for Haifa, Israel due to security concerns in Israel. People were very friendly, the Hagia Sofia was an amazing place to visit as was the old Turkish bazaar. We thoroughly enjoyed our stop and the people we talked to seemed genuinely happy to see the cruise ships stopping again in Istanbul.

Appreciate this great follow-up and the many details about your recent cruise ship visit to Istanbul from our Midwest neighbor in Minnesota.  Glad that things worked out so well and that those people in Istanbul were very welcoming.  AND, happy to see cruise passengers returning to this fascinating and history city.  

Also found of interest that your stop in Haifa had been scrubbed due to security concerns in Israel.  A year ago on Nov. 20-21, our Oceania cruise had two days in Haifa that allowed us to do an overnight stay in Jerusalem.  Clearly there are challenges in this part of the world and we are very glad to have had the wonderful opportunity to sample so much excellent history, architecture, food, culture, etc. in Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, etc., etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 249,677 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Istanbul has always been a favorite city of mine. I haven't been recently (not as a result of concerns, just travel schedules) but I have been there multiple times between 2005-2016 and would definitely return. I am all about the ancient sites, though, and not so much the glossy new ones. 

While I'm definitely NOT a fan of Erdogan's regime, I also feel that some of the security concerns given as reasons for not visiting Istanbul in recent years were a bit over the top.  If one was not willing to visit Istanbul 2-3 years ago, I'm not sure that much has changed with regard to safety/risks....

We been to Istanbul several times.   On land trips and on cruises.  Every time we go we seem to see and experience something that we had not seen or experienced on prior visits.  If you are there on a pre or post cruise consider booking an inexpensive flight to visit the Cappadocia area for a few days.  Completely different experience, unforgettable.

Appreciate these great follow-ups and sharing by iancal, dronnygal and cruisemom42.   Keep it coming.  Don't be shy!!

From theTravel Section of the Washington Post in early October, they had this headline: Istanbul’s new airport is one of the world’s largest with these highlights: Earlier this year, thousands of flights began landing at Istanbul’s new $11 billion airport, a sprawling behemoth that occupies an area larger than Manhattan and may eventually become the world’s busiest air hub.  How do you help millions of harried passengers each year navigate an 818 million-square-foot facility with five concourses and 143 boarding gates.  One answer, according to airport officials, is a fleet of humanoid robots.  Specially designed for the new facility, the wheeled robots are a first for Turkish airports. About the size of a small child, the eggshell-blue machines have bright digital faces with cartoonish round eyes and an ever-present smile that appears designed to put people at ease.”

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/10/01/instanbuls-new-airport-is-one-worlds-largest-fleet-humanoid-robots-is-helping-passengers-find-their-way-around/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,177

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We enjoyed our overnight stay in Istanbul in 2008.  Erdogan was in power but we hadn't heard what we've heard since about him.  The main caution then was to be aware of pickpockets.  From where we docked it was easy to walk to Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Bazaar.  Interesting places!

Interesting post Terry and thank you :).  DW and I have long been fans of traveling in Turkey and consider Istanbul to one of the most fascinating cities in the world.  Visiting on a cruise or spending an extended land based visit used to be terrific options.  But all this has changed with President Erdogan's attitude.  Turkey has quickly moved from one of the world's great democracies to what appears to be a repressive dictatorship.  Where, at one time, DW and I felt comfortable traveling in Turkey (even with our own rental car) I would now hesitate to visit the country with the possible exception of Kusadasi (which seems to be somewhat removed from many of the problems seen elsewhere).  In simple terms I have personal issues with trusting the Turkish government to provide the atmosphere that enhances tourism.  Perhaps I have this all wrong, but more then 50 years of extensive International travel have taught me to trust my own instincts.  And at the moment my instinct is to stay away from Turkey.  Perhaps this will change in the next few months or years and then DW and I would be happy to lead the charge to return to this country and its many wonderful people.

Hank