Speciality Dining Restaurant Cost for Kids? Package?

micheluvscorgis

We are not first time cruisers but are first time cruisers on NCL and will be cruising on the Encore mid-April.  DH and I will be joined by our two boys, ages 12 & 14.  They both enjoy going to nice restaurants and especially love trying new food.  DH and I do have the specialty dining package for three nights, but the kids are not included.  I'd love your help with some of these questions as this type of packaging and pricing is new to us.

• How much to include the boys in our specialty dining for three nights?  Would I just buy the boys a three night speciality dining package (do they sell kids' versions?) or would I pay a la carte for them somehow?  (Not sure how this works as the other specialty dining restaurants we've gone to on Carnival and Royal Car. were a fixed price per person as I recall with some occasional upcharges if you wanted to add seafood to steak, etc.)
  • How much should I rely on reserving dining before the cruise?  (We did not know if we'd be interested in doing a lot of specialty dining on our Royal Car. cruise years ago and found out quickly that everything was booked solid for the rest week once we were on the ship a day. We did not get to enjoy any of the specialty restaurants and do not want to repeat that mistake.)  
  • What exactly does the specialty dining package cover?  I believe I saw something about four courses (one entree and then whatever you want for appetizer, salad/soup, and dessert -- with some upgrade exceptions)...is my thinking correct?

Thanks!  Any advice you could offer is much appreciated!

Hi!

If your kids eat off the kids menu, there is no charge...its a standard menu the same at every restaurant...I know your kids are older but they may eat off of it still, I know my 11 year old would.

If they are going to eat off the specialty restaurant menu, I would just look at the menus to see if they would eat an appetizer, salad, entrée or dessert and if not you might be better to go a la carte and pay as you go. If they will actually eat their fill I would buy the package. 

Your thinking on what is included is correct. 

I would absolutely pre-book...you don't pay anything to do so and you are guaranteed a spot. If you change your mind about going just cancel the reservation. 

Lora

The free kids menu is the same in the MDR - mac n cheese, chicken tenders, etc. Not something I would have wanted to be stuck eating by the time I was your kids ages. 

If the restaurant has a cover charge (tepenyaki and moderno) you'd be paying the full price for them. If you plan to go to at least one of those the package will likely be cheaper for the kids. If your boys eat anything like normal teenager boys I doubt ala carte would be cheaper than the package too. 

1 hour ago, micheluvscorgis said:

We are not first time cruisers but are first time cruisers on NCL and will be cruising on the Encore mid-April.  DH and I will be joined by our two boys, ages 12 & 14.  They both enjoy going to nice restaurants and especially love trying new food.  DH and I do have the specialty dining package for three nights, but the kids are not included.  I'd love your help with some of these questions as this type of packaging and pricing is new to us.

• How much to include the boys in our specialty dining for three nights?  Would I just buy the boys a three night speciality dining package (do they sell kids' versions?) or would I pay a la carte for them somehow?  (Not sure how this works as the other specialty dining restaurants we've gone to on Carnival and Royal Car. were a fixed price per person as I recall with some occasional upcharges if you wanted to add seafood to steak, etc.)
  • How much should I rely on reserving dining before the cruise?  (We did not know if we'd be interested in doing a lot of specialty dining on our Royal Car. cruise years ago and found out quickly that everything was booked solid for the rest week once we were on the ship a day. We did not get to enjoy any of the specialty restaurants and do not want to repeat that mistake.)  
  • What exactly does the specialty dining package cover?  I believe I saw something about four courses (one entree and then whatever you want for appetizer, salad/soup, and dessert -- with some upgrade exceptions)...is my thinking correct?

Thanks!  Any advice you could offer is much appreciated!

So, no self-respecting child of 12 and 14 would be satisfied eating a hot dog while mom and day dine on Filet in a specialty restaurant. So let's take the free kids menu off the table right away.

You should buy your boys their own dining package. It will run $99 + 20% gratuities ($118.18 per boy). 

Dining reservations open 120 days prior to cruise (130 days if you are in a suite). Which means, your dining reservations should be open now. You need to make reservations online (MyNCL) for your entire party as soon as possible. Prime time dining reservations wills sell out quickly online. If you are on a big ship. reservations for entertainment also open now. 

If you wait until you embark, you must go to dining reservations as soon as you embark, else it will sell out too, and you'll find yourself trying to squeeze in a 9:30 pm reservation. 

Teppanyaki is always fun with a group. 

Recent menus from a lot of common restaurants can be found on our live post starting at post #195 below

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So, no self-respecting child of 12 and 14 would be satisfied eating a hot dog while mom and day dine on Filet in a specialty restaurant. So let's take the free kids menu off the table right away.

You should buy your boys their own dining package. It will run $99 + 20% gratuities ($118.18 per boy). 

You are SO right.  Do you know my boys, lol?  My 14 year old has a knack for finding the most expensive thing on the menu every time...  😉  Thank you, for the good advice.  We will get the boys their own package and will roll with that and the reservations ASAP.  Your review has been SUPER helpful in making sure I can time the meals so that we won't miss shows and other events, so thank you, for posting!  🙂