Baseball Caps

billydog

In Western culture, it is considered rude or a sign of disrespect for a man to wear a hat indoors, possibly from the practice of removing one’s hat upon entering church. It is just bad manners to wear a hat at the dinner table.

Should others be offended?  Well, perhaps guidelines for behavior help us remember to be considerate of others.  Too often it seems we are long past that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

How does someone wearing a hat in the MDR directly affect you.? I personally would never wear one.  I wonder why this rule was put on the nono list. Anyone know the history of it.

The history behind it is just manners, and social etiquette. A gentleman would remove his hat when entering a building or place of worship and perhaps tip his hat toward a passing lady. Truth be told if we were following this out dated rule a gentlemen wouldn't be wearing a hat while inside the ship, not just during dinner in the MDR.  Also realize that this etiquette mostly pertained to the well to do as the poor were living in conditions where there was no heat in the winter and they were probably wearing coats and hats indoors during cold weather.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

I belong to an era now long gone but it kicks in now and then.  Upon entering a ship's elevator where several ladies were present, I removed my hat, turned and faced the doors.  I heard a chuckle and someone said, "Remember that?" :classic_smile:

One of the ladies might have been married to a bald guy and was made wistful by seeing hair!

On 12/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, mom says said:

There are rules about hats in the dining rooms. Unfortunately there are some  cruisers with no manners, and not all Maitre d's will enforce the rules. And then there are the obstreperous few who simply refuse to comply, even when asked.

Waiting for the poster who complains that some poor souls have medical conditions that necessitate wearing a baseball cap at all times.

… had to look up "obstreperous" ...

My God, I'm surrounded by this ...

- Joel

The original inquiry made by @billydog has been answered. And now that this thread has had numerous political and off-topic posts & quotes removed, this thread is closed.

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 2