Check luggage prior to delayed check in?

IRMO12HD

Is it possible to check your luggage and then delay checking in?  It would be nice to have a chance to walk around the port/area with just my backpack, and then check in about 2-3 hours later (assuming I could check my large suitcase early, like at 10:30 or 11).  Cruising on Norwegian out of Manhattan in April 2020. 

40 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

Is it possible to check your luggage and then delay checking in?  It would be nice to have a chance to walk around the port/area with just my backpack, and then check in about 2-3 hours later (assuming I could check my large suitcase early, like at 10:30 or 11).  Cruising on Norwegian out of Manhattan in April 2020. 

Okay, I'll bite. How do you go to Manhattan and not spend 2-3 days (at least) exploring one of the world's most cosmopolitan cities?

If you're talking about the Manhattan cruise piers, you could take a walk to MOMA. But, I hesitate and can only come up with a recommendation that you really need to spend several days there.

• Like 1

It's a long story -- but it comes down to scheduling and flight availability, and personal choices.  Will be flying into Newark the day before embarkation, and I was just curious about the timeframe in the Manhattan cruise port.  FWIW, I'm more interested in seeing Central Park; I'm originally from the East Coast and have visited NYC several times; just never made it to the Park!

51 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

Yes, surely you can check your luggage with the porters for your particular cruise. Having tags with your room on it will simplify, but if you don't know or can't print, the porter will write one out for you (they have a list of all rooms). The porters are port not ship employees and could not care whether you get on the ship immediately, later, or miss it. 

There are plenty of reasons not to arrive 2-3 days early to explore Manhattan, not the least of which is that it is "one of the world's most cosmopolitan cities".

Be safe!

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 1:19 AM, crystalspin said:

The porters are port not ship employees and could not care whether you get on the ship immediately, later, or miss it. 

In fact, they don’t even know whether you enter the terminal or not after handing over your luggage. 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:23 AM, IRMO12HD said:

It would be nice to have a chance to walk around the port/area with just my backpack, and then check in about 2-3 hours later (assuming I could check my large suitcase early, like at 10:30 or 11). 

You should be able to drop your bags off even earlier than that. We typically get to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal around 9:30 AM, and have always been able to hand our bags over.  I suspect you could arrive even earlier than that, to maximize your time before you check in. 

Unless you were to visit the Intrepid, there’s nothing to see right around the Cruise Terminal.  You mentioned Central Park in a later post; it’s a good mile to the closest corner of the Park, and obviously more to walk around in the Park, so keep tabs on your time! 

Enjoy your day and your cruise! 

• Like 1

In addition to the Intrepid, there is the whole Hudson River park, that runs along the river north and south from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.  An amazing narrow park that goes on for miles.  We always take an extended walk there on every trip we make to NYC, except on the coldest of winter days

• Like 1