Tukwila southcenter area in seattle

golfer1903

1 hour ago, golfer1903 said:

Pier 91 Alaska cruise will be staying one night  at home2suite in Tukwila is it ok place to stay one one night pre cruise. Not looking for much to do but walk to dinner in the daylight

Its an airport industrial area-- its not unsafe but you aren't going to be in a downtown environment with lots of people either-- just make sure you are aware of your surroundings when walking. It is sort of an outlier in that there is a larger cluster of hotels at the airport that are closer to the actual airport on the other side of the freeway and clustered together.

The rails you see are not in use.

It's near the Southcenter mall but not an especially easy walk from the restaurants etc., due to railroad tracks and dead-end streets - https://goo.gl/maps/SiZGjgWVNHc77YXQ9 .  It's pretty much a warehouse area.  It's nowhere near the light rail to town, but if you're using Pier 91 you wouldn't want that anyway.

Unless the price is astonishingly good I'd probably look elsewhere - there are many hotels, even in the airport area, that are more conveniently located, and more walkable from restaurants.  Of course if you stay there you could probably order in a pizza or use Grubhub or some such for in-room delivery.

Gardyloo,

I consider you as the THE Seattle expert.  You are always dead right on on.

Unless I have the wrong hotel, it is a 5 minute walk to the Old Spaghetti factory, Panera Bread, Chipotle etc. I am aware it is not in the center of South Center, but just across the street. In fact isn't the Nordstrom Rack directly across the street? Please correct me if I am wrong, as I value your expertise with Seattle.😀😀

Look at the map and photo I posted.  It fronts onto Upland Drive, which is cut off from the rest of the Southcenter area by railroad tracks with no pedestrian crossings.  You'd have to walk east to Andover Park, then up to Minkler and west to Panera etc.  The hotel looks like it's right across the street, but you can't cross that street because of the train tracks.

It wouldn't be a horrible walk, maybe a 1/2 mile each way to the Panera or iHOP (I've eaten a lot of pancakes at that particular iHOP). However, I agree that it's not the most convenient location.

A better option is the Courtyard By Marriott in Tukwila on Andover Park W. It's a short walk to a shopping center with fast food (Burger King, Jersey Mike's), a Corner Bakery, and for an adventurous meal, the Chinese hot pot restaurant Boiling Point. The Doubletree on Southcenter Blvd is right next to Outback Steakhouse and across the street from McDonald's.

Or from any of the three hotels, take an Uber/Lyft over to Southcenter Mall which has a lot food options from standard American (Cheesecake Factory and Olive Garden) to interesting Asian choices (Jolibee, 85C Bakery Cafe, and the splendid Din Tai Fung for soup dumplings). I love eating in Tukwila!

9 minutes ago, golfer1903 said:

Thanks guys. But can you not just walk over the railroad tracks?  Or are they blocked off somehow and homeless or some sort of danger in the area?   Thanks

It looks like you could walk over the tracks, unless they've built a wall since the Google photos were taken last year.  https://goo.gl/maps/SVtDSDT5qcSMr3go8

It looks like those tracks are no longer in use (there's a "tracks out of service" sign on a road crossing a couple of blocks from the hotel) so unless you're Wile E. Coyote there's probably little risk in crossing them.  That said, you're not going to be near a lot of transit options there, so you'll probably need to take a taxi or Uber to the pier.

Southcenter Mall (the largest in the Seattle area) is about a half mile walk away, so if you can do that you'll have plenty of options.  

Edited by Vexorg

I stayed one time at the Doubletree at Southcenter.  It was fine.  They share a parking lot with Outback Steakhouse.  I could have walked to the mall if I had chosen to.  

Another option for OP to get to shopping and restaurants is Uber or Lyft if they don't feel like walking or perceive it's unsafe.