Gate1 Travel River Cruise

TikiIslandGirl

So, if you have read my previous post about Vantage cancelling my river cruise I'm looking for a replacement (Vantage replacement dates didn't work for us). So I have looked/priced all the major lines and found decent prices for a double cabin but there is 3 going so the solo cabin have been crazy high.  I even priced the AMAKristinia triple cabin and it is $12,000 for the 3 of us (I can sail on other lines with 2 cabins for less than the triple one cabin price). So, the gate1 pricing is better than the rest.  I have searched for reviews and have found some but would like to hear from people you have actually cruised with them and their opinions.  We are not picky people but I want something decent.  Thanks for any help

We cruised the Danube with Gate 1 last fall - it was lovely. The staff was excellent, cabin (French balcony) was very nice and the food was very good. We found the price unbeatable and will again cruise with Gate 1 when an itinerary interests us.

I think that you will find Gate 1 river cruises much more than "decent". 😉

Edited by dogs4fun

We have done 2 river cruises with Gate 1 and have been totally satisfied. The price can't be beat and the ships were in great shape. I have not cruised with other river cruise companies so can't compare them but we have done many Ocean cruises with many different cruise lines and the service and quality of food was very similar. I would not hesitate to do another cruise with them.

In addition to Gate 1, we have also cruised with Viking and Uniworld. Other than price, we found very little difference between our cabins on Viking, Gate 1 & Uniworld ships. Food was about the same (with a few more choices on Viking) and more optional (for a fee) tours on Viking. All in all, we found Gate 1 a much better bargain but would not hesitate to book with any of the companies with whom we have sailed. Our choices are primarily dependent upon the ports visited rather than the ship - especially true for river cruises.

We’ve done 4 Uniworld, 3 Gate1 and 1 Viking.  Just got off a Gate1 Christmas Market cruise last week.   All these cruise lines are good.  Only difference with Gate1 is the dinning options.  One restaurant/buffet, one sitting for dinner . While the others had optional dining venues.  Also alcohol is not included (except during dinner) on Gate1. You can buy a package on Viking and it’s included on Uniworld.  You really have to be a big drinker to justify the prices for packages or included alcohol.  gate1 also have a small fridge in the rooms to cool your own and you may bring it into public areas. Cabins on all the ships are equal size and comfort.  Uniworld have wonderful included excursions and evening entertainment.  Viking had lots of excursions, some weren’t included.  I also found that docking locations on Uniworld and Viking were always the best while Gate1 were not the best for exploring on your own.  It’s comes down to what you want to pay for your itinerary and then planning ahead.  We go for itinerary first  then price then cruise line.  
You’ll enjoy anyone of these choices 

Thanks everyone.  You never know about pricing.  As of yesterday the double cabin price on uniworld was actually cheaper than on gate1 (it was a lower cabin than on gate1 but I prefer the cheapest cabin anyway because I'm not in it much).  Plus that everything is included on uniworld vs still having to tip and buy drinks outside of dinner-and one extra excursion on gate1 that we would purchase.  The single price on uniworld is more but if you take off all the things not included and the cheaper double cabin than it ends up only about a $600 difference.  And just doing spot checking the airfare was cheaper on uniworld-so it might be less than the $600.  So if the cabins are still available will go with uniworld.  My mom is a little gun shy because of the vantage cancellation.  I think she wants to stay with a well know river cruise company even though I told her all companies have done this.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:48 AM, stmartins said:

Just got off a Gate1 Christmas Market cruise last week.  

Were you on the December 8th one to Amsterdam? I was on that one also. I loved it----until the PA got fixed and Rudy started all of his announcements with that irritating "waaaaawaaaaawaaaa" thing!

1 hour ago, zdcatc12 said:

Were you on the December 8th one to Amsterdam? I was on that one also. I loved it----until the PA got fixed and Rudy started all of his announcements with that irritating "waaaaawaaaaawaaaa" thing!

We were on the Vienna to Regensburg leg it continued to Amsterdam ...the PA went down during the cruise.. Juta was our cruise director but she left when we did.  Oh we’ve had the “pleasure” of having Rudy on another trip...very annoying!  Juta and Armon (entertainment director) we The Best we’ve had.

On 12/25/2019 at 4:54 PM, stmartins said:

Oh we’ve had the “pleasure” of having Rudy on another trip...very annoying!  Juta and Armon (entertainment director) we The Best we’ve had.

I agree with you on him being annoying. In addition to Rudy, we had Betti for the entertainment director, though I'm not sure what she ever did.

This was my first river cruise and I was kind of surprised that we were expected to tip them. I did, but I have never done that on any other cruise that I have been on.

10 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

This was my first river cruise and I was kind of surprised that we were expected to tip them. I did, but I have never done that on any other cruise that I have been on.

We don't tip if we have not used their services (for example, if we don't participate in any of the entertainment offerings). 

12 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

I agree with you on him being annoying. In addition to Rudy, we had Betti for the entertainment director, though I'm not sure what she ever did.

They don’t work for the cruise line they are on contract.  They aren’t included in the general staff tipping.  Unfortunately some don’t deserve the tip.  This was the first Gate1 we’ve done that the cruise and entertainment directors (and now that I think back, even on other cruises)  earned every penny.  It’s a crap shoot for quality.