Does your luggage float?

mmssnb

Here’s something I never thought I would have to take into consideration .... does my luggage float.

Embarked today promptly at 1100. one bag arrived quickly, the other did not. At 5, as we are getting ready to sail, I contact our butler and ask if I should be worried as our other suitcase is not here. A few minutes later he asks me to talk to reception... I go down to have security check my bag, only to find out...THE PORT of MIAMI had dropped it in the water! Luckily they were able to catch it before it sank...

Everything (toiletries, Christmas presents, etc) soaked/dripping . Clothes all wringing wet...

Oceania then gave me a toiletries bag.. that was Opened and missing items..like the toothbrush...

lets see how they help make this right. 
I highly suggest vacuum packing or dry packing all belongings in the future. We did have some items in zip locks but that wasn’t good enough.

2 minutes ago, mmssnb said:

Here’s something I never thought I would have to take into consideration .... does my luggage float.

Embarked today promptly at 1100. one bag arrived quickly, the other did not. At 5, as we are getting ready to sail, I contact our butler and ask if I should be worried as our other suitcase is not here. A few minutes later he asks me to talk to reception... I go down to have security check my bag, only to find out...THE PORT of MIAMI had dropped it in the water! Luckily they were able to catch it before it sank...

Everything (toiletries, Christmas presents, etc) soaked/dripping . Clothes all wringing wet...

Oceania then gave me a toiletries bag.. that was Opened and missing items..like the toothbrush...

lets see how they help make this right. 
I highly suggest vacuum packing or dry packing all belongings in the future. We did have some items in zip locks but that wasn’t good enough.

😱 OMGOSH!!

I don’t know what to say to you about your bag. You said it was the PORT OF MIAMI? I hope things get straightened out for you. I would think this is a Port issue in regards to the fact it was them.

This happened to us on a 2 month cruise.

2006 remember when Heathrow shut down due to a possible terrorist  attack ? No flying in or out? We were scheduled to leave a week later from San Francisco to London. That was the beginning of no liquids nothing!!!! No rules no TSA. We were lined up at our departure gate at United men on one side women on the other they took everything we had in our carry ons even books lipstick!! Our flight was 3 hours late leaving SFO.
Long story cut:

Our bags never made it to Heathrow!!!! We were going on another flight from there to Rome. Did paper work the whole nine yards! No bags, no camera, get the picture!! We had to buy luggage clothes the whole nine yards!! We were doing the Windstar 3 B2B’s!! They knew our situation and they didn’t have to do anything but they allowed us OBC for anything we needed in clothes etc. Our cruise was August 9th- September 14th. We did the Greek Islands. Got off and stayed on in Greece! When we got you our hotel my husbands bag arrived!😞 not mine! His camera and all his clothes were fine!

Now we are home and through our credit card we got reimbursed for a lot had receipts to show what we had to buy! Back then it worked out for us!

Now 3 months later on Thanksgiving a knock at the door my bag!!

Mildew clothes ruined! My bag was lost like hundreds on the tarmac!! Because of all the crap with the terrorist issues hundreds of thousands never left!

SO I SURE HOPE YOU GET SOMETHING OR THOUGH YOUR INSURANCE 

Im sorry for what happened to your luggage.

Denise😊

Thank your for the insurance tip. Haven’t quite processed what happened since so bizarre.  I am hoping we get some $$ or OBC at least to get what we need . Just sad it ruined most all of our Christmas presents 😞 

2 minutes ago, mmssnb said:

Thank your for the insurance tip. Haven’t quite processed what happened since so bizarre.  I am hoping we get some $$ or OBC at least to get what we need . Just sad it ruined most all of our Christmas presents 😞 

My husband agrees too! Listen ask your butler to have your clothes washed and dry cleaned! Christmas presents I understand hope thru  your credit card you can get compensated.If you purchased insurance have the front desk write up a letter of what happened today for your records and hope that helps too. Fingers crossed with O but it was the port of Miami unless it was O crew also helping to load suitcases.

Good luck!!

THIS  COULD OF BEEN WORSE.

PLEASE HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS ON BOARD THE O🎄🎄🎁🎁

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mmssnb said:

What Oceania "owes" you really depends on who dropped the big "in the drink." Longshoreman? That would be the responsibility of the Port of Miami. Of course, one would expect O to do the hospitable thing and offer some onboard store credit for essentials until you reach a port where you could rebuild your goods. 

As aforementioned, whoever did it is insured as you may/should be. If you used a travel savvy credit card that you used to purchase the cruise, you should have some baggage coverage. The right travel insurance also can be tapped for reimbursement and your homeowners insurance may also provide relief.

Nonetheless, this is a real vacation-killing bummer. 

We were sitting on our balcony waiting to sail from Galveston when I saw an entire cage loaded with luggage break away from the little pier tractor and go over the side into the water.  It didn't float it just went straight down.  Must have been 30 suitcase on it.  No attempt was made to retrieve it and we sailed on schedule.  

Glad it wasn't my stuff.  That's why we split clothes between two or more bags and carry on important stuff.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

OMG

Sorry to hear that

I also would see what they can clean for you & claim the rest on insurance

take photos of all the damaged items

Not sure Oceania had a hand in it

maybe you did not tip enough to the porter 🙂

10 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We were sitting on our balcony waiting to sail from Galveston when I saw an entire cage loaded with luggage break away from the little pier tractor and go over the side into the water.  It didn't float it just went straight down.  Must have been 30 suitcase on it.  No attempt was made to retrieve it and we sailed on schedule.  

Glad it wasn't my stuff.  That's why we split clothes between two or more bags and carry on important stuff.  

That is just frightening.  

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

OMG

Sorry to hear that

I'm not inferring that is what happened with the OP but invariably on the Celebrity board every time someone asks if I should tip the baggage porters there will always be a post about people who don't that accidentally get their bags dropped in the water. I wonder if it's the longshoreman posting that stuff. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

OMG

Sorry to hear that

Lol, no we definitely tipped the porter a more than reasonable amount for two bags since we had forgotten to get change prior to the ship ! I would think we would see lots more floating bags if tips were why they dropped it! 
We ,hopefully, don’t have huge monetary losses, it was an accident. That being said it was something we never could have imagined so will rethink our packing strategy and carry on items in the future for sure!

They are working very hard to make it right here on board. OBC to help get a few things replaced etc.

• Like 2

When extending the gangways or ramps to/from the pier, they usually also put up a cargo net beneath it that will hopefully catch anything that accidentally falls off.   But I suppose they could still manage to drop something that does not get caught...

Apparently it fell off the pile of luggage, bounced, the net pulled free from the dock side. The crew all saw it happen as they were at the cargo doors awaiting their bags.

Oceania has taken excellent care of us and we have zero complaints with how they have handled it once we were aware what had happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mmssnb said:

Apparently it fell off the pile of luggage, bounced, the net pulled free from the dock side. The crew all saw it happen as they were at the cargo doors awaiting their bags.

Oceania has taken excellent care of us and we have zero complaints with how they have handled it once we were aware what had happened.

I am happy all is well for you and O came through!

Now MERRY CHRISTMAS 🎄 

DENISE🙄

• Like 1