embarkation times

sue00p

Hi all...  we are cruising from Syd (Aust) to Auck.(NZ) in Feb 2020 on MS Noordam.

Departing Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal scheduled 5pm.

Can anyone tell me please what is the earliest we can board? I would love to make the most of the trip from the earliest possible moment. 🙂 

TIA 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi RuthC... our boarding says 1pm...for the Sydney - Auckland cruise.. Noordam Feb 1st. 2020.  I'd love to get there earlier to begin the adventure.  We won't need access to our cabin until whenever...  but is there an actual issue with boarding earlier? say the 11:30am time?  🙂 

Edited by sue00p

6 hours ago, sue00p said:

Hi RuthC... our boarding says 1pm...for the Sydney - Auckland cruise.. Noordam Feb 1st. 2020.  I'd love to get there earlier to begin the adventure.  We won't need access to our cabin until whenever...  but is there an actual issue with boarding earlier? say the 11:30am time?  🙂 

Not RuthC but the boarding passes always say 1:00 pm.  They have for years.

As Ruth said, boarding usually begins around 11:30 am.  There is no issue with boarding at that time as long as there is no delay (ie. deep cleaning, inspections, etc.). Cabins are normally ready when you board.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 7:34 PM, kazu said:

Not RuthC but the boarding passes always say 1:00 pm.  They have for years.

As Ruth said, boarding usually begins around 11:30 am.  There is no issue with boarding at that time as long as there is no delay (ie. deep cleaning, inspections, etc.). Cabins are normally ready when you board.

So, once boarded, can you settle your stuff in cabin, then walk off again sightseeing/shopping?

Or would the better plan be to leave our suitcases at the hotel, do touristy Sydney stuff in the morning, then go to Circular Quay around 2 or 3 pm?

7 hours ago, eMPee said:

So, once boarded, can you settle your stuff in cabin, then walk off again sightseeing/shopping?

Or would the better plan be to leave our suitcases at the hotel, do touristy Sydney stuff in the morning, then go to Circular Quay around 2 or 3 pm?

You can do either.  No problem at all.

I can’t remember the cruise port location in Sydney.  If you haven’t you might want to check to see how close it is to the sights to plan your strategy.  Don’t forget to be on board on time for the muster drill 🙂 

When I was on Noordam in November we docked at White Bay.

The schedule posted by the port authority at https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/venues/white-bay-cruise-terminal-wbct/

shows Noordam at Eden Cruise Wharf on the 24th of Feb and Overseas Passenger Terminal on the 26th

Edited by richwmn
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I was able to download the schedule and sort out only Noordam, here are the dates for this year.

image.png.81377cd6ff4166cd7bf733d7af699669.png

I'm not sure where I saw the Eden Wharf earlier.

Eden Wharf is another stop which appears on the web page but not on the download pdf or xls files.

No matter where we have sailed from, the boarding passes have always indicated a boarding time of 1 PM -- HAL's usual statement time.

We like to get to the terminal by 10:30 so that we can get through security and checked in.  Unless something happens, boarding begins at 10:30.  And again unless something happens, you can go directly to your cabin and drop off your carry ons and anything else you have.

The first people to board the ship are the PS passengers along with the handicapped people in wheelchairs.  Then they call for the people in the Neptune Suites and 4 and 5 star mariners.  After that "numbers" are called -- you get the numbers as you enter the terminal.

Looks like Eden is 300 Km South of Sydney, maybe all New South Wales Port Authority locations are on that page.

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Eden Wharf is another stop which appears on the web page but not on the download pdf or xls files.

@Dogma4, I believe sue00p is in Manly. We are in the Rocks, less than 500 m walking distance from the terminal. We have Thurs and Fri to holiday in Sydney, plus Saturday until check in. We'll play it by ear. Whatever leaves us to stand around and wait the least, I suppose.

Still can't figure out where to properly post stuff.....apologies!  Since you have three days to enjoy Sydney , I would concur with your idea to play it by ear.  A ferry ride over to Manly should be on your 'to do' list prior to boarding.  Enjoy (I miss our former apartment in Kirribilli!)….