Live-ish -- Dec 20 Thru Jan 5 South America/Antarctica on Coral Princess

erber

If you have time could you tell me if the exercise equipment in the gym has a time limit. Some ships have cards on the machines for only 30 minutes use, some ships let you use at will. Also, if you tried room service was it good. On the Sky it was very good, on some ships it seemed less good. Thanks again for all your help, getting so excited.

Chris,

The lectures have all been simulcast to the Universal Lounge to alleviate any concerns regarding seating. We attended most of the lectures in the Universe Lounge as we felt it was a more comfortable venue. The lectures were also shown on channel 48 on a loop. 

We went to the first production show, Motor City. We went to the first show of the evening and got there early. I don't recall if it was a completely full house. I have no idea if the later showing was crowded. We went to the first showing of On the Bayou and it was crowded. We also arrived early, about 20 minutes early to be safe. 

We did most of our viewing on our balcony as we were really fortunate that most of the scenery and wildlife tuned out to be on our side, or the captain would spin the ship so both sides got equal viewing. But we also went to deck 14 and to Deck 7 for different perspectives. We also, on ocassion, went to the front of the ship on deck 10. When we were in Charlotte Bay and saw all the whales we were in our balcony. It was absolutely amazing for a couple of hours. 

On the Cape Horn day we needed to be out on deck for a really good view and there were tons of people on deck taking photos. The views were on the port side and our cabin is starboard. It was best on deck 15 for that particular venue. 

The cruise director was very good and had a lot of activities as you can see in the patters. 

Hope this is helpful. 

• Like 1

Shaver John, 

We do not use the gym so I don't know about limits on exercise equipment use.  Also we do not order room service. It's just not our thing, so I cannot comment. 

As for food in general, some has been excellent.and some not so excellent. There are less choices in the buffet than I recall in past years ( and many less choices than on Royal class ships). But there were also some stellar offerings, such as Mongolian stir fry buffet. Casual dining from Trident and Pizza place -- Hamburgers and pizza were good. International Cafe had good selections. We have only eaten a few dinners in the MDR. Observations -- 1. There are fewer dessert selections than in the past. 2. Last night we had "surf and turf".  The surf, prawns, were delicious but the turf, a petite filet, was of questionable quality.  3. All the side dishes were excellent. The vegetables were cooked perfectly. 4. The quality of the beef in the embarkation lunch was far superior to our meal last night in the MDR.

• Like 1

My husband has not brought a suit or sport coat on cruises in years. If we went to formal night he would wear khakis and a button down shirt and was never turned away.

This cruise my husband didn't even bring a button down shirt.  We have skipped both formal nights so far in this cruise. Not sure if we dare to try to go with him only having a polo shirt. If we try to go, I'll let you know if we are permitted in the dining room. 

They are starting to take down all holiday decorations today. 

About to go to the first lecture of the morning. It is on Tierra del Fuego. The naturalists have been excellent. There have been so many lectures and presentations that have been of interest. 

I did take a photo of formal night menu. 

IMG_20200103_064637.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for taking us on your journey. We will be on this Sunday. You have been so helpful to us and others. By chance have you bought any souvenirs?  I always have to come back with something...lol

Thank you for taking the time to provide all this interesting and valuable information.

Although our upcoming cruise on Coral is just the 14 day version, you have given us great insight on what to expect and certainly have heightened our excitement.

I bought a lot of small souveniers, including a stuffed animal penguin, penguin magnets, a tweed coin purse, and a tweed penguin paper weight in Bluff Cove. I bought two cute stone penguins, a warm scarf, and ear warmers in Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. I also bought two handmade ornaments in a tiny store in Ushuaia. Most of what I bought are gifts for my kids, friends, and coworkers, but a few items are for me!🐧 I was able to use U.S. currency everywhere. I observed that  credit cards were also accepted most places. 

I am sure you will love the trip. It has been truly amazing. 

We currently have the Top of the World transatlantic trip to Iceland and Greenland booked for July on Princess.  This is another bucket list trip. 

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time and effort in posting all the information and photos of your wonderful cruise.  Makes me feel

I would like to do it all again.  We have followed your ship everyday and feel as if we were with you all.  We have spoken to my family who are also on this cruise many times through WhatsApp and some

time the clarity was better than others.   Enjoy the

last few days of your cruise.

Thank you for all the wonderful pictures and info. We are on the February 6th sailing. 12 of us celebrating our 50th anniversary, and if that's not enough another couple is also celebrating 50 years, we both have the same date/year. Amazing right? You are awesome for taking all the time to do this, very much appreciated. 

5 hours ago, erber said:

I bought a lot of small souveniers, including a stuffed animal penguin, penguin magnets, a tweed coin purse, and a tweed penguin paper weight in Bluff Cove. I bought two cute stone penguins, a warm scarf, and ear warmers in Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. I also bought two handmade ornaments in a tiny store in Ushuaia. Most of what I bought are gifts for my kids, friends, and coworkers, but a few items are for me!🐧 I was able to use U.S. currency everywhere. I observed that  credit cards were also accepted most places. 

I am sure you will love the trip. It has been truly amazing. 

We currently have the Top of the World transatlantic trip to Iceland and Greenland booked for July on Princess.  This is another bucket list trip. 

We are doing a similar TA in August, with HAL. Will look forward to picking your brain on that cruise also. Thanks again. 

Today we went to 3 lectures and a movie. All worth attending. First, the lecture on Tierra del Fuego, then a lecture on bears, then a presentation of the historical film, South ( amazing footage of the Shackelton expedition), and finally a lecture by the ice pilot wrapping up our trip in Antarctica. 

Now it's almost time to check in for our flight on Sunday. Hanging out in the room before doing that and then going to do dinner. 

I'll let you all know if tomorrow's patter lists anything particularly noteworthy.

By the way, seas are getting calmer and weather has warmed a bit. It's around 66°F. Winds have calmed down as well. 

Edited by erber

As everyone has said, thank you so very much for the details and amazing pictures.  We leave on the same trip on the Coral in a little over 2 weeks...excited and have a good idea now of what to expect and what I need to pack.

Incidentally, we are also booked on a TA from New York to Greenland, Iceland and Scotland on the Island Princess but in August, 2020.  It seems like you may be taking a similar trip right before ours?  What a coincidence!  These 2 trips have both been on our bucket list and happy to be able to go.

21 hours ago, Shaver John said:

If you have time could you tell me if the exercise equipment in the gym has a time limit. Some ships have cards on the machines for only 30 minutes use, some ships let you use at will. Also, if you tried room service was it good. On the Sky it was very good, on some ships it seemed less good. Thanks again for all your help, getting so excited.

My husband used the gym daily. No card limiting time but it did say if it was busy to be courteous and stop after 30 min to give others a chance. 

On 1/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, erber said:

This is what it costs to send out your laundry and have the ship do it for you.

Also, there are self service  washers and dryers on many floors as well. I have not checked the cost to use the self service laundry. It may be $3.00 per load for washer and also for dryer if I am remembering correctly from past ships. I know they also have a machine for you to purchase detergent as well. 

IMG_20200102_110830.jpg

It’s $3.00 for the washer, $3.00 for the dryer and $1.50 for soap. We packed our own dryer sheets. 

On 1/2/2020 at 4:23 AM, erber said:

One more thing on clothing... I brought summer t shirts and a pair of light weight capris.  I have not worn one summer item. It will be in the 40s F.  today and tomorrow! So I could have left summer items of clothing at home. 

Were you able to wear summer clothes in BA? I was thinking we would need summer things for the early and late part of our cruise. We will go RT from Buenos Aires.

Thanks for all your pix, answers and other info. Very  helpful.

Safe travels home and happy new year.

Thanks for posting Erber. We were on your cruise but decided during the cruise to disembark in Punta Arenas so we could visit Torres del Paine national park on our own (the shore excursion was sold out and we really wanted to see the park). I’ve been lurking here to see how the rest of the cruise went after we got off. Sorry to hear there were tough seas. Hopefully less than we’d seen before. 

If others get the chance and like nature I highly recommend trying to fit the park in somehow. The park is incredible and we personally didn’t mind missing the 3 sea days at the tail end of our cruise in exchange. I spoke with a couple on the pier who said their Antarctica landing from Punta Arenas was canceled and that that the Torres del Paine backup option was also canceled as the tour company couldn’t get sufficient insurance. Hopefully that will be resolved in time for the upcoming cruises. Both shore excursions are pretty epic. 

It was a spectacular cruise.  We bought it for the itinerary alone and weren’t disappointed!  Here’s hoping you have calm seas for the rest of the trip!

2122F3E3-9613-451F-8113-40CCF14180B3.jpeg

47E7D9CB-4EEF-4A32-886A-797C1294C23D.jpeg

91C0DBE2-DD71-4032-99BA-F99C672BDC35.jpeg

38722CF0-D501-4680-A226-F4F16BC07A82.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the tips and for providing their past experience.   Very much appreciated. 

And thanks to ERBER for taking the time to start and follow through while experiencing upload difficulties.   Well done!

1 hour ago, smrtwoman said:

As everyone has said, thank you so very much for the details and amazing pictures.  We leave on the same trip on the Coral in a little over 2 weeks...excited and have a good idea now of what to expect and what I need to pack.

Incidentally, we are also booked on a TA from New York to Greenland, Iceland and Scotland on the Island Princess but in August, 2020.  It seems like you may be taking a similar trip right before ours?  What a coincidence!  These 2 trips have both been on our bucket list and happy to be able to go.

We have really enjoyed this thread.  We also leave in a little over two weeks on the same trip.  Also, we are doing the TA from New York to Greenland, Iceland and Scotland on the Island Princess and leave August 8th.

Smrtwoman- yes. The transatlantic is July 23 to August 8.

NoWhiners- it was not hot in BA when we embarked. In fact the sailaway party had to be inside due to inclement weather. Just check weather forecasts for what to expect. 

Thanks everyone for following along. It is 68°F. Right now and calm seas! Going to the Marriage Match Game Show now. 

Haven't looked at patter in detail. I'll post if anything looks important!