Greece (and Italy and Turkey) or Norway... WWYD?

WrittenOnYourHeart

First, let me offer congratulations for making the switch. The only problem with cruises to Norway is that you can't see everything on a single cruise!

As excursions are very subjective, I seldom recommend them on Cruise Critic, but I'll make an exception given your plan to add on some days in Amsterdam. We took the "Amsterdam Windmill Tour" with That Dam Guide https://thatdamguide.com this summer and it was one of the best excursions we've taken. There are dozens of windmill tours available, but this one is so much more.

• Like 1

Solo traveler here! I sailed on Reflection to Norway two years ago. Beautiful scenery! 

In Geiranger, check out the Fossevandring waterfall. There are steps that go up beside the waterfall with plenty of places to stop for pictures and rest. At the top, there is a museum.

In Bergen, I took a ship excursion for a hike, but I shouldn't have. The trails were so well marked, maintained,  and well traveled that I could have done it easily done or on my own.

If you go to Stavanger, the Petroleum Museum is very interesting and not what I expected at all. More conservation minded than I expected! 😃

I didn't look to see what ports you are visiting, but I'm happy to provide any insight on the ports or ship. Ask away! 

Julie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

First, let me offer congratulations for making the switch. The only problem with cruises to Norway is that you can't see everything on a single cruise!

As excursions are very subjective, I seldom recommend them on Cruise Critic, but I'll make an exception given your plan to add on some days in Amsterdam. We took the "Amsterdam Windmill Tour" with That Dam Guide https://thatdamguide.com this summer and it was one of the best excursions we've taken. There are dozens of windmill tours available, but this one is so much more.

Thank you for the recommendation!!  I'll definitely check them out!!

38 minutes ago, Buckeye94 said:

Solo traveler here! I sailed on Reflection to Norway two years ago. Beautiful scenery! 

In Geiranger, check out the Fossevandring waterfall. There are steps that go up beside the waterfall with plenty of places to stop for pictures and rest. At the top, there is a museum.

In Bergen, I took a ship excursion for a hike, but I shouldn't have. The trails were so well marked, maintained,  and well traveled that I could have done it easily done or on my own.

If you go to Stavanger, the Petroleum Museum is very interesting and not what I expected at all. More conservation minded than I expected! 😃

I didn't look to see what ports you are visiting, but I'm happy to provide any insight on the ports or ship. Ask away! 

Julie

Thanks!! I went ahead and booked a couple of ship-based (my comfort) excursions - in Alesund The Path of the Trolls and in Geiranger the Herdalseter Mountain Farm. The latter seemed really unique. We also go to Bergen and Olden - I haven't figured those out yet...thinking there may be additions in the next 18 months. Ha!

I did book LCG for dinner the night we are in Alesund and departure is 7pm. I figure it would be a nice night to eat there as we sail away.

All insights welcome!! It'll be my second X cruise - the first will be this February on the Edge.

Good call on ship's tour for Path of Trolls. If I recall, that's a long tour. I'd feel safer on a ship tour, too. I only do independent when things are close to the port, when the next port is really close, or when I have a long stay or overnight port stop. Safer when traveling alone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckeye94 said:

Good call on ship's tour for Path of Trolls. If I recall, that's a long tour. I'd feel safer on a ship tour, too. I only do independent when things are close to the port, when the next port is really close, or when I have a long stay or overnight port stop. Safer when traveling alone.

Exactly! I have looked at private tours before, but often the price is based on 2 (at least) or they won’t even consider just one. And a friend got burned sharing a tour with people once where she was the only one who was out of the loop communicating about it and the rest decided they wanted to make some changes and the driver assumed everyone had been looped in so said nothing about it until they ended up somewhere my friend was not expecting (no place scary or dangerous - just not what she had signed up for) and by then it was too late.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:50 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Well, at this point Istanbul has no excursions - what do you even do there? And everything in Ephesus is all “OMG THE VIRGIN MARY’S HOUSE” which as someone who is not Roman Catholic and does not worship her means nothing to me. And carpets have zero interest.

Also, as a solo female no way in hades would I do a private excursion, especially in Turkey (I worked with a guy from Turkey before and he was so disrespectful) so don’t even mention those.

Well, as a solo female I did a private excursion to Ephesus which was awesome.  Put together a small group on the roll call.  The gentleman who ran the tour was recommended to me by another cruising friend who often cruises solo or with her young granddaughter.  We did not visit a carpet store.

Actually, all of the cruises you have mentioned are great.  You just have to decide what you want to do.  It sounds as if you have a lot of preconceived notions about what is good and bad based on political and/or religious beliefs or one-time encounters.  Perhaps set them aside for a bit and branch out and explore?  For example, the art and history in St. Petersburg are awesome.  The other Baltic countries are equally fascinating.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yeah... I probably should have said that Turkey is the least attractive part of that cruise for me. Never really had a desire to go there and honestly would not be crushed if it were canceled due to unrest. Figuring if I keep what I have I will have two “sea days at port” on those two stops. If I keep it, it is for Italy and Greece only. (And the only options I found that did not include Turkey left from Venice and while I love that city, I will not do a cruise from it or to it again because of the damage ships are doing to the underpinnings of the city.)

Turkey is our favourite destination. We have been there on cruises, on bus tours, travelling independently with an other couple and by ourselves. We have encouraged our children to go there. Turks are the friendliest people and go out of their way to be helpful.

On the other hand we found Greece filthy and unfriendly. Go to Italy if you want your pocket picked.

1 hour ago, pieter&sharon said:

Turkey is our favourite destination. We have been there on cruises, on bus tours, travelling independently with an other couple and by ourselves. We have encouraged our children to go there. Turks are the friendliest people and go out of their way to be helpful.

On the other hand we found Greece filthy and unfriendly. Go to Italy if you want your pocket picked.

Just goes to show how experienced differ. I have been to Italy three times - Florence and Rome for overnights and had port stops in Naples, Venice, and Ravenna and never been pickpocketed. Of course I’m not stupid enough to keep anything in my pockets, so...

And I found Greece beautiful when I was there before.

But I have made my decision and it is a moot point. I’m not changing again.

• Like 1

Bergen. Okay, what are your interests? How active are you? 

Bergen is doable on your own, if you want. I don't remember if it was completely walkable or if there was a shuttle to the town, around the port.  At sea level you can visit Byrggen which is the old restored wood buildings -  shopping in a really cool setting. I recall an outside  market, but I don't know what days it operates. Lots of fish! 

Take the funicular up Mt. Floyen, the Floibanen (can do on your own, but long lines, ship excursion may skip line). From there, you can walk easily on the trails to Lake Skomakerdiket or go further. The trails are very well maintained. I have a bad leg, so I trailed my group (pun intended!) in speed, but I was able to hike just fine. Here's a link to the trails: https://www.floyen.no/en/activities/walks-hikes-floyen/ Wonderful views and a chance to just relax and take in all the beauty.

The picture with someone in a blue coat is at the station at the top of the funicular on Mt. Floyen which is an easy walk from the port.

The close up lake photo is Skomakerdiket Lake. Very short walk from the funicular.

I climbed that mountain trail (next to last photo) to get the view in the last photo. 

Sorry to blow up the board with all my photos, but thank you for letting me relive this trip. I loved it! Other places I must visit before I repeat! 😀

20180903_160338~2.jpg

20180903_135638~2.jpg

20180903_140559~2.jpg

20180903_144138~2.jpg

20180903_144415~2.jpg

20180903_150802~2.jpg

Edited by Buckeye94
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Beautiful! 

I’m pretty active - I live in NYC and walk almost everywhere and I do OrangeTheory 4-6 times a week. The trails look beautiful - I just got drilled into me working in Colorado for 2 summers not to hike alone, so the excursion was looking possible.

The guided tour I took was

BN35 - Hiking Mount Floien

The guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. Even when I fell behind, he checked for me. I told them to go ahead once I realized how safe the trail was, but it was nice to have someone looking out for me! 

• Like 1

Side note on Edge. Don't miss Eden Cafe. They only serve breakfast and lunch. Much better fruit bowl than the plate you get in the MDR. Small space, but option of indoor or outdoor seating, and its own espresso bar. I wish I had found it earlier in my cruise.

I miss vtcruiser, too.😥

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buckeye94 said:

The guided tour I took was

BN35 - Hiking Mount Floien

The guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. Even when I fell behind, he checked for me. I told them to go ahead once I realized how safe the trail was, but it was nice to have someone looking out for me! 

Awesome! That is the one I was looking at! Thanks for the report!

7 hours ago, Buckeye94 said:

Side note on Edge. Don't miss Eden Cafe. They only serve breakfast and lunch. Much better fruit bowl than the plate you get in the MDR. Small space, but option of indoor or outdoor seating, and its own espresso bar. I wish I had found it earlier in my cruise.

I miss vtcruiser, too.😥

Thanks!