Need San Francisco advice

grannycroozer

2 hours ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

DH is handicapped and cannot walk far.

Also, does anyone have restaurant recommendations that are nearby?

Thanks so much!

What kind of food are you fond of?  Or would like to try?

Food favorites start with seafood then go most anywhere. DH is a diabetic so nothing that is heavy on starches. Just wondering about walkable options. 
Looks like transportation is readily available from SFO. Will begin our investigation. 
Thanks for ideas. Look forward to seeing more of this beautiful city.

2 hours ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

Food favorites start with seafood then go most anywhere. DH is a diabetic so nothing that is heavy on starches. Just wondering about walkable options. 
Looks like transportation is readily available from SFO. Will begin our investigation. 
Thanks for ideas. Look forward to seeing more of this beautiful city.

Here's a list from Yelp! to start: https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=seafood&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

#23 & #24 are probably the closest to your hotel, check with the concierge about how walkable they are.  

Or from TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60713-c33-San_Francisco_California.html

Personally I'll head out to Fisherman's Wharf to Scoma's.  Or for an Asian twist try R&G Lounge in Chinatown for salt & pepper Dungeness crab and/or steamed sea bass.  

For traditional "American Diner Food" try Sear's Fine Food, a few blocks up on Powell.

http://www.searsfinefood.com

Edited by Philob

For seafood I'd start with Tadich Grill or Sam's Grill, possibly Sotto Mare, but all they have is seafood. Don't worry about walkable, Uber and Lyft are cheap, cabs are still available.

Eater SF and Thrillist are my go to sources over Yelp (and since the demise of Chowhound), The Essential 38 SF is a good list. Here is Thrillist SF.

10 hours ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

What is the best way to get from SFO to our hotel (Parc 55)? DH is handicapped and cannot walk far.

Also, does anyone have restaurant recommendations that are nearby

Uber

John Foley's Irish House and for breakfast the classic Pinecrest Diner.  

The lounge atop the Hilton just across the street has the best and highest 360 degree view of the city of any bar lounge.  Food is only light bar food so doesn't make it for me for a full dinner.  

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:58 AM, Big Tiger Fan said:

What is the best way to get from SFO to our hotel (Parc 55)? DH is handicapped and cannot walk far.

For most... I would say take the BART subway (30 min) that departs from the cruise terminal and has a station (Powell) across the street from the hotel.  My fav way to get there for $2.60.

Question for any SF locals... is the Powell station elevator working?  For the last 3 years I go there for Spring visits... the elevator is broken.

1 hour ago, xlxo said:

For most... I would say take the BART subway (30 min) that departs from the cruise terminal and has a station (Powell) across the street from the hotel.  My fav way to get there for $2.60.

Question for any SF locals... is the Powell station elevator working?  For the last 3 years I go there for Spring visits... the elevator is broken.

Go to BART.gov, you can see elevator as well as escalator status throughout the system posted there.

Edited by Jojiboy

4 hours ago, xlxo said:

Do you mean airport terminal? BART doesn't go to the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

I haven't taken BART from SFO in quite some time but, I didn't think taking the train from the airport to the City was something I would recommend for anyone with mobility issues.  It might depend on the terminal you fly into or out of but, as I recall we had to walk (with our luggage) through a parking lot then up and escalator across a platform and up another escalator.  I remember telling my DH that we couldn't expect anyone coming to visit us to take BART from SFO ... I think that from OAK (right across the bay) is a lot easier but, even then, I am always asked by tourists how to get their tickets, what platform to use, etc.  And, even that has a +$6 charge per person each way for that airport extension so, it can get pricey.  I have nothing against using BART .. I rode it for years to work and have taken it several times into the City to go on a cruise, knowing I will have to walk with my luggage an additional mile to get to Pier 27.  For convenience sake, it's Uber all the way now.  

On 1/10/2020 at 9:58 AM, Big Tiger Fan said:

Read this thread with interest as we have begun to plan our early May visit.

Also, does anyone have restaurant recommendations that are nearby?

Thanks so much!

Taking the BART train is definitely the way to go.  You get on BART right at the airport, and then get off BART at the Powell Street Station, which is 322 feet away from the Parc 55.  Price is $10.15 per person, each way.

The SFO BART station is located outside the International Terminal, a short walk from Terminals 1 and 3.
You can also take the free SFO AirTrain from all terminals directly to the BART station. Follow the signs to the AirTrain and board the train to the BART station.

Here is the site to check out:    https://bartable.bart.gov/latest-news/how-ride-bart-airport

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 1