Excursions for retired friends

Johnc3211

15 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Contact either Victor Bodden or Rony's Tours  and get a tour of the island. 

Depends WHICH PORT?????....  are they on Carnival (Mahogany Bay) or other (Coxen Hole).  HUGE difference.

If they are out of shape, I wouldn't recommend that long walk out of port area at Mahogany Bay... it is over a mile walk up and down hills.  That is where they would have to meet private tours, like Bodden and Rony's.  If it is the Carnival port, I would recommend at Carnival excursion which meets at the shopping area and only has to walk a short ways to parking lot.  There is a Top 10 of Roatan tour they might like, as well as a few other bus tours of the island.  OR  they could just stay at the beach at Mahogany Bay and relax, shop, eat.  

If they are docking at Coxen Hole, then I have no knowledge how far a walk to excursion desks.

11 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Depends WHICH PORT?????....  are they on Carnival (Mahogany Bay) or other (Coxen Hole).  HUGE difference.

If they are out of shape, I wouldn't recommend that long walk out of port area at Mahogany Bay... it is over a mile walk up and down hills.  That is where they would have to meet private tours, like Bodden and Rony's.  If it is the Carnival port, I would recommend at Carnival excursion which meets at the shopping area and only has to walk a short ways to parking lot.  There is a Top 10 of Roatan tour they might like, as well as a few other bus tours of the island.  OR  they could just stay at the beach at Mahogany Bay and relax, shop, eat.  

If they are docking at Coxen Hole, then I have no knowledge how far a walk to excursion desks.

Agree depends on which port, but I thought at Mahogany Bay you were able to take a taxi to where you meet independent tour guides - has that stopped?

At Coxen Hole there is a lot of construction underway and not a lot to do at the actual port presently.  A tour would be recommended. As suggested you can get a private driver for the day and customize your tour.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Agree depends on which port, but I thought at Mahogany Bay you were able to take a taxi to where you meet independent tour guides - has that stopped?

At Coxen Hole there is a lot of construction underway and not a lot to do at the actual port presently.  A tour would be recommended. As suggested you can get a private driver for the day and customize your tour.

I have never see taxis take people down the hill and out the gate to where the vendors wait by the road, its only about a half mile from there.  It is a narrow paved road and people have to walk down the sides of it, which I don't see as really safe anyhow, even though we see probably a hundred people doing it every cruise (we are on the tour bus from Carnival excursion).  Just my opinion, but I would never ask a 70 yrs old that is out of shape to walk that far and next to a busy paved road.

41 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

Indeed at one point they offered taxi from the parking lot over the hill and out the gate. I can't imagion why they have stopped... maybe not enough interest. Wonder if it is possible to sort by special arrangment. 

Certainly if a member of the party could meet the operator they used to be allowed in to pick up infirm but I have never been to Mahogany Bay so only going on reports - no actual experience. Sounds like they may have stopped it.

Edited by c-leg5

Either place - Mahogany or Coxen Hole would just book ship your and not try to figure out how to get to private tour area. I'm in my early 70s and can walk pretty good but on a but on hot  humid day would not want that walk. Is a ship tour a better deal? Print not but it's a lovely island and a Best of Roatan type tour your best bet on my opinion. Shame to stay onboard