No more Aft Cabins!

Hutchinj

Not meaning to hijack another thread ("Feedback on Cabin 767") but thought that was important enough to create a new Topic...

Sad to say but the Category C aft cabins will be no more after the refurb in May 2020. Seems they are converting those 5 cabins into 2 suites (Grand or Owner types?). We booked cabin #767 over a year ago for our 4 July 2020 cruise but that cabin will no longer exist.

The good news is that PG wanted to move us to some other Cat C room but our TA talked them into upgrading us to a Category B Veranda Suite for free. We love aft cabin views but maybe the larger room, balcony, and Butler will help ease the pain. 🙂

We likely never would have opted to pay the $3K or so to upgrade so we will look upon this as a bonus. Would appreciate any comments on those who have stayed in these cabins on Deck 8. Seems to be convenient to the pool and pool bar but hopefully not too noisy. The Cat B veranda balcony appears to be a bit deeper, too, if not as wide as others. Kind of like the idea being up high on the ship and having no cabins above us. We shall see!

We had a category B for our cruise in June and loved it. If and when we do another PG cruise, that will be the category we book. Quiet and very convenient to the pool deck/breakfast. Another advantage is these Veranda Suites have a king-sized bed instead of a queen.

The deck 8 cabins are very nice.  Just a titch bigger than standard, but an absolutely great location.  And you get a butler.

I've never done the aft thing.  I can understand why they want to create a couple of larger cabins, since the current ones further forward on deck 8 aren't that big, and there aren't many of them.

On 12/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, JIMinNC said:

Another advantage is these Veranda Suites have a king-sized bed instead of a queen.

Not sure this is true for all the Category B Veranda Suites. It seems that five of them (those marked with a "dot" in the attached deck plan) come with two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a bed about the size of a Queen. We've been assigned one of these rooms and while I would prefer a single large King bed, I'm sure it will be fine as is.

pg-deck-8.png

On 12/27/2019 at 8:39 AM, Hutchinj said:

The good news is that PG wanted to move us to some other Cat C room but our TA talked them into upgrading us to a Category B Veranda Suite for free. We love aft cabin views but maybe the larger room, balcony, and Butler will help ease the pain. 🙂

We likely never would have opted to pay the $3K or so to upgrade so we will look upon this as a bonus. Would appreciate any comments on those who have stayed in these cabins on Deck 8. Seems to be convenient to the pool and pool bar but hopefully not too noisy. The Cat B veranda balcony appears to be a bit deeper, too, if not as wide as others. Kind of like the idea being up high on the ship and having no cabins above us. We shall see!

I think your TA is taking credit for something Paul Gauguin is offering everyone who was booked in the aft cabins. I responded on the other thread, so I'll just say that we've stayed in both a C (721) and a B (811) and absolutely loved the B cabin. Bigger cabin, bigger veranda, excellent location, extremely quiet and a $4200 upgrade from our C 767 on our 11 day Cook/Society cruise in 2021. Granted, we've never stayed in 767, so we're not able to compare it to the other cabins, but we're quite happy.

Edited by MrRandal

Ha ha... I’m sure you’re right about our TA taking credit. But I won’t beat him up about it too badly since he did give us $500 in OBC and got PG to throw in another $200 OBC from their “Sweetie” promotion, even though we missed PG’s deadline.

And yes, as much as we love aft cabins, we’re really looking forward to the category B cabin on deck 8 and butler service. It’s all good! 🙂

On 12/28/2019 at 4:48 PM, Hutchinj said:

Not sure this is true for all the Category B Veranda Suites. It seems that five of them (those marked with a "dot" in the attached deck plan) come with two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a bed about the size of a Queen. We've been assigned one of these rooms and while I would prefer a single large King bed, I'm sure it will be fine as is.

pg-deck-8.png

You may be correct. I can only speak with authority about our cabin 805 which did have a regular King bed. I will say, though, that when I spoke with the Paul Gauguin representative prior to booking and inquired as to which cabin categories featured King beds, she told me that Category B had Kings. She did not qualify that to exclude the cabins marked with a “dot”, but I didn’t specifically ask either since I was planning to book 805. 

I do believe that generally two standard Twins combine to form a King, but have also understood that many cabins on PG feature smaller twins that combine to a Queen size. I guess it is possible the “dot” cabins on deck 8 have the slightly larger twins that combine to a King, but we’re just speculating about that. Since you have been assigned one of those, you will be able to see for yourself and report back here once you embark on your cruise. Have fun!

Edited by JIMinNC