Uber from LAX under new system

Bruin Steve

I took Uber from LAX in the early morning hours YESTERDAY...my first such experience after the new Uber/Lyft/Taxi pick up system went into effect.

Here are my notes:

First, we arrived on Alaska Airlines...There is signage near baggage claim telling you the shuttle pickup is right outside of baggage claim...but it was not quite that clear.  We had to look for a green sign showing the shuttle pick-up spot.  The shuttles did come very quickly though.

Our shuttle ride to the pick-up lot was quick, but several shuttles were backed up for some reason and it took a few extra minutes before they let us off--so, my recommendation is to not order the Uber until you actually get off the shuttle so you avoid any waiting charges.

Our Uber arrived at the designated spot (there were signs at different areas of curb--1A, 1B, 1C...all the way through 4C...Four lanes, four areas of curb each--signs are clear)...

Our Uber, at the start, was 8 minutes away...Met the Uber and out of the lot quickly...

Unlike past Uber rides from LAX, our price originally shown on the app was NOT what we were charged...The final price ADDED a $4 Airport fee, a $2.80 booking fee and a 10 cent "Access for all" fee...These may have been there in the past but were always INCLUDED in the advance price...I wonder if this is something new?  But I was just a little surprised when the invoice was $7 more than the original estimate...

All in all, though, it went rather smoothly and we were out of LAX and on the road fairly quickly.  We will most likely use Uber again when we head out to our next cruise in June (We fly out of LAX most of the time--though we'd prefer Burbank--just aren't enough flights/deals out of there).

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

All in all, though, it went rather smoothly and we were out of LAX and on the road fairly quickly. 

I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago-- was bracing for the worst but worked out much smoother than I thought it would. I think the beginning was just confusing for everyone but its calmed down considerably. 

1 minute ago, imescaping said:

Do you know when  returning to LAX via Uber/LYFT, do they drop you off at the departure level of your terminal or are they required to go to the same ride share lot as pick up?

They are allowed to drop you off at the terminal.

So glad others have had success.  This is just not for me.  Me too:  the added surcharges were quite a surprise.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

It was like $45 for us a few months ago. I took it to the Queen Mary but thats pretty much exactly the same as the cruise terminal across the parking lot. 

Thank you. That’s where we are staying for one night also before boarding our ship.