Jalousie Beach - Can you DIY or do you need to do Spencer's Tour

gbits

We are debating between doing Spencer's land and sea tour vs. the beach break.  It seems expensive to pay $90 just for the beach, lunch and drinks. If we want to do just the beach, can we get there and back on our own? Or is there a major benefit to doing the tour? Thanks for any advise 🙂

You can probably hire a taxi to take you but it is a pretty long drive.  Two years ago, my husband and I decided to visit Jalousie Beach using Spencer Tours by water after reading on Trip Advisor that the road to the Pitons is so winding that in the heat, some people needed barf bags.

By the way, you not only get to access the rather pebbly beach at the boat landing, but you also can utilize the adjacent  beautifully manicured beach of the  luxurious Sugar Beach Viceroy Resort. (Although you are not allowed access to the Resort grounds,  by law all beaches in St. Lucia are open to the public). Also enroute by boat, they detour to show you a bat cave and the pricey marina of Marigot Beach.  Throw in their delicious lunch, free drinks and the views of the Pitons and it was well worth the money in our opinion.

Edited by lynncarol

you can join a group or arrange your own group of say about 10.

hire a 16-18 seater for about 300 usd for DIY trip to Governor House, Marigot Bay, Ansel Beach time, Sulphur springs mud bath and waterfall (you pay entry fees at waterfall (3 usd pp) and mud bath (15 usd pp).

But previous cpomment about barf bags is not an exagerration.

It is about 500 bends in 90 minute ride. (up and down 6 mountains)

You dont have to take spencer's.  There are others that will take you from port to Soufrier town and then do mud bath and waterfall and pitons view. But make sure that reviews are good. Have heard cases on TA where people almost missed the ship.

Tender in Soufrier is a better option if on smaller ship

21 hours ago, Cruiseoholic000 said:

Could you elaborate on the lunch? I can’t handle spicy food.

We've been to St. Lucia twice and did tours with Spencer Ambrose both times.  The first was the "Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break" and the "Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure" the second time.  Both times we had lunch at the beach and they had the same things and it's home made and served buffet style.  It was VERY good/flavorful, but I don't recall any of it being too spicy.  Attaching a picture.  I thought it would help to let you know what all is on this plate.  I'll start with the BBQ jerk chicken at the center of the plate; rest I'll describe, clockwise from the top:  Green banana salad (this is actually very good, reminded me a little of potato salad, but a different but pleasant taste); garden salad; rice; lentils in a sauce (very good); pasta in a sauce; and the grey piece on the top left is Tara Root (also reminded me of a potato). 

IMG_9861-1.jpg

Spencer and his family have a nice tour. You will get there quicker by using him and his speed boat. They do stop along the way and show you points of interest (bat cave, famous peoples homes, where they filmed the bachelor, filming of Pirates of the Caribbean and so on).

But if you like to snorkel this is the most AMAZING place to do it. That in itself is worth the money!!! Like seriously! The food is good they provide and drinks all day.

If you don't want to spend all day at the beach, consider the tour to the mud baths and waterfalls at the beginning of the tour and then on to the beach. It's a lot of fun.

I would HIGHLY recommend Spencer and his team!

I have 2 reviews from us going with him and it is VERY picture heavy...if you're interested.

FIRST REVIEW HERE

SECOND REVIEW HERE

On 12/27/2019 at 1:18 PM, gbits said:

We are debating between doing Spencer's land and sea tour vs. the beach break.  It seems expensive to pay $90 just for the beach, lunch and drinks. If we want to do just the beach, can we get there and back on our own? Or is there a major benefit to doing the tour? Thanks for any advise 🙂

Its $90usd one way by land taxi, about three times that by private water taxi.

Food at SB is ridiculously priced, think NY high end hotel food and drink prices. $18-25usd for a cocktail, etc. 

If you go via land on your own, expect to pay the $50 (soon to be raised to $100) pp entrance fee - or park at the too and walk down yo the beach. The fee is returned via food/drink credit.  

Spencer's tour is a very very good value for what you get, versus doing it yourself.  

Supposedly the snorkeling there is the best on the island.  That said, St. Lucia is not a great place to snorkel.  We liked it OK but  saw minimal coral, if I recall, and although a number of fish, not that big a variety. However, we have done a lot of snorkeling in our time, so have become rather picky. Spencers does provide the equipment, however. 

By land, DIY, was 

3 usd for waterfall

15 usd for BOTH volcano tour AND mud bath

25 USD for group transportation

But due to so many bends, would recommend taking MANY stops (once every 15 min once you pass spur to marigot bay) for both break from bends ans wel as taking on natural beuty of numerous viewpoints

Plantation visit and Governor house (excellent view of the town and your ship) should be done on the way back for the optimization.

Boat from Cruiseport to Soufrie and minibus from there (bypassing Jealousie Beach)  would be a good alternative but dont have any affordable operator to recommend.

Edited by hal2008