Elevators (lift) doors on Crown

Tatka

Hi. We just disembarked from wonderful cruise on Crown. Almost everything was nice except for this problem.

This class of Princess has fairly large banks of elevators so when you press button for any of them you never know which one will arrive. Even if you are standing near one, but many people leave it , it could be not enough time before lift’s doors start closing. And this is usually fine in other places, but on Crown they seem to lack element which recognizes that hands or legs are between them so they keep closing... I have no problem with mobility (heck I exercise in gym daily) , but even I had occasional trouble. Other people were complying about extremities being stuck.

I hope this problem can somehow be fixed.

9 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Hi. We just disembarked from wonderful cruise on Crown. Almost everything was nice except for this problem.

This class of Princess has fairly large banks of elevators so when you press button for any of them you never know which one will arrive. Even if you are standing near one, but many people leave it , it could be not enough time before lift’s doors start closing. And this is usually fine in other places, but on Crown they seem to lack element which recognizes that hands or legs are between them so they keep closing... I have no problem with mobility (heck I exercise in gym daily) , but even I had occasional trouble. Other people were complying about extremities being stuck.

I hope this problem can somehow be fixed.

Did you address this onboard?

Put it in the post cruise survey?

On the Sky I was slammed in the shoulder by a closing door as I raced to the other end of the bank to catch it.

No I didn’t. Yet. We are still driving from our cruise. There will be a survey on line. Right?

Strange about Sky... I thought this was older ships problem.

If there is an issue on board, it is helpful to let the staff know there directly.  Why wait for a survey?

I am not on ship anymore and it wasn’t an issue with one elevator.It seemed to be a common problem so as I understand they intended to work like this. Maybe older model?

36 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I am not on ship anymore and it wasn’t an issue with one elevator.It seemed to be a common problem so as I understand they intended to work like this. Maybe older model?

Good to know since I will be on the Crown in a few weeks.  Could I ask you a couple questions:  what is the status of the mattresses on board and my other question is, do you know if the barrell chair is still in the balcony rooms?  Thanks so very much for your help

Judy from SW Florida

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

We had inside cabin so I cannot help you with chair question.

Mattresses and beds were very comfortable we thought. On a softer side.

Thank you very much for your insight.  I actually prefer softer mattresses so I should be happy.  Thanks again.

Judy from SW Florida

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

What I recall is they were the ugliest elevator doors I had seen in a while with gold laminate that was worn down in places.  On Regal, they had some photo sheets that covered the inside of the doors.  Maybe more ships have this and I just hadn't been on one in a while.

• Like 1

What I recall is they were the ugliest elevator doors I had seen in a while with gold laminate that was worn down in places.  On Regal, they had some photo sheets that covered the inside of the doors.  Maybe more ships have this and I just hadn't been on one in a while.

Yes... they were definitely not pretty, I think overall Crown could use some TLC , but they way these doors functioned was more concerning. As I said I am pretty fit person and if it was at times difficult for me (late 40s) to reach in time elevator while making sure my hands/legs won’t be stuck ... I can imagine how difficult and scary this could be for older person or someone with limited mobility.

In some reason I don’t remember this problem on Caribbean, Ruby, Grand, but my last encounter with them was in 2012.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 7:01 AM, Jemnibabe said:

Good to know since I will be on the Crown in a few weeks.  Could I ask you a couple questions:  what is the status of the mattresses on board and my other question is, do you know if the barrell chair is still in the balcony rooms?  Thanks so very much for your help

Judy from SW Florida

If you like a soft, cushy bed, these were great!  We had a balcony on Caribe, no barrel chair.  I did notice that below us on Dolphin, one of the mini suites had a barrel chair (they had moved it to the balcony).