Can you fly in DAY OF?

Davis2010

I'm trying to figure out why you bothered asking the question if you can't possibly change your flights to the day before, what was the point in finding out everyone else thinks this is a bad idea.

One thing no one else has mentioned is your checked luggage not making the connection, now you're on board the ship with only the clothes you traveled in.  At least flying in the day before gives you time for the luggage to catch up.

Oh well, at least you'll know for next time you take a cruise - always fly in the day before.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Because so much can delay planes. Weather in Boston can affect your flight. I have gone to the airport with a connection in Chicago and there were storms in both Chicago and Houston and all flights with that airline had delays. I have also had to sit on a runway for hours due to not having any gates because of a back log. Oh, there can be computer problems, plane problems, flight crew issues that can cause a delay with a plane leaving on time. Plus a million other things. I missed half my flights 2 summers ago due to issues.

I'm trying not to be overly negative for the OP's sake.  But I mentioned that I was delayed due to a medical emergency on my flight going to the cruise.  On that same cruise, I came back to Fort Lauderdale the day after the mass shooting at the airport when most flights were delayed and landed at my destination airport to 12" of snow that kept my hubby from being able to pick me up.  Three reasons in one trip to have trip insurance.  Fortunately, I flew in the day before and was lucky with my flight home barely being delayed.  I was lucky.  None of these issues caused my vacation to be affected. 

As Bumble Bee said - to the OP -  cross your fingers and hope for the best

If you are saying that the cruise and flight can't be changed at this point, then make the most of it.  Pay extra for seats near the front of plane so you can get off quicker to make connection. Take a carry-on in case luggage is lost. Be familiar with DFW (print out terminal map). Have car waiting to pick you up at the airport and take you to port. Know which port your ship is at.

Is embarkation 1-3 or is that the suggested time to get on?  You need to know the latest time that you must be checking in.  Have a copy of the cruise line emergency number to call to let them know you are still coming.

Good luck and enjoy Alaska.

Edited by katrina915
  • Like 2

A couple of things...

Your connecting flight out of DFW - I assume it's AA 1079 - has a very high "on time" arrival record.  While of course past performance is no guarantee of future performance (as the stockbrokers say) I'd feel pretty confident that the plane won't be very late, if at all.

But even if it was an hour late (highly unlikely) then you'd still have plenty of time to make the ship; just go to the taxi stand in the parking garage and get the first available cab or towncar - they're next to each other - and off to the pier.

There are four ships sailing from Seattle on May 9, three from Pier 91 and one from Pier 66.  Which ship are you on?

You might also think about packing a carry-on with toiletries and a couple of days' clothes in case there's a hitch with luggage (there shouldn't be; you have almost an hour and a half at DFW, and American is generally very good with bag handling there.)  If there was a hitch, AA could send your other bags on to Ketchikan and you'd collect them there.  It might be a nuisance, but not impossible.  Or, of course, if you could manage the week's needs in carry-ons, that would speed you through the airport badda bing.

Are you returning the day of your return or the next?  Note that any departure from SEA heading east before 11 AM or so is very dicey on cruise days - big crowds at security checkpoints.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

I'm trying to figure out why you bothered asking the question if you can't possibly change your flights to the day before, what was the point in finding out everyone else thinks this is a bad idea.

One thing no one else has mentioned is your checked luggage not making the connection, now you're on board the ship with only the clothes you traveled in.  At least flying in the day before gives you time for the luggage to catch up.

Oh well, at least you'll know for next time you take a cruise - always fly in the day before.

The OP is one of those "don''t confuse me w the facts - my mind is made up" people.

DON

Let us be kind to these young parents and first time flyers.  I work at Pier 91.  Generally speaking, at least 95% of the passengers arrive in time for their cruise.  Ideally it would be better/safer to arrive the day before, but lots of folks do travel the day of.  Some arrive at check-in happy and excited, others exhausted, still others stressed from the travel experience.

OP,  if your flight is delayed, have your airlines phone number in your phone and call the customer service number so they can start finding you an alternative flight connection.  This would be faster than standing in the customer service line at the airport.

Do consider carry on luggage, so if your flight into Seattle is delayed you don't have to worry about waiting for your luggage.

Make sure you tell your taxi/Uber driver which pier you need to go to (in Seattle either 66 or 91).  Early in the season, drivers make mistakes and drop off passengers at the wrong pier.  (Really!)

Make sure that you have the correct travel documents for the cruise. (Passport, Passport card, Birth Certificate (not footprint/hospital) with gov't issued photo ID, i.e. drivers license).  People are denied ship  boarding if they don't have the correct travel ID.  If you don't have passports make sure you both have official copies of your birth certificates.  Gather those documents now!

Even though the ship departs at 4 pm, the gangway is pulled usually just after 3:30.  Once the gangway is pulled there is no way to get on the ship. Shore staff is in consent communication with the ship so the ship knows how many passengers are still expected.  Shore staff will start calling late passengers around 2:45 asking where they are, and if they still intend to sail (sometimes folks cancel, but don't inform the cruise line).  Make sure you provide a good cell phone number when you do your on-line check-in..

Worst case scenario, if you miss the ship in Seattle you will have to fly into the next port of call in Alaska at your own expense.

Bottom line, the odds are in your favor, but it might be a stressful travel day.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
added more information.

We were bitten once - never again will we fly the day of ship departure.      

Story:  Direct flight was to arrive in Orlando at 10:00 am with  Disney cruise to depart at 5:00 pm.    Seemed like loads of time... BUT... we missed the boat - it does not wait for you!    

In our case while the plane was being pushed back from the gate the ground crew pushed it too far ...off the tarmac and into the grass/mud.    They could not get it out ... and could not arrange alternatives in time.    

We caught up with the ship a day later at its 1st port of call... don't think you will have that option if you miss this boat.    We were not the only ones ...dozens of cruisers missed their ships that day as well. 

I hope it all works out for you -

Edited by sr71_1

17 hours ago, Davis2010 said:

Our TA has had our cruise and flights booked since August. We are flying to Seattle the day of our cruise embarkation. It has us arriving at the air port around 11:15AM and embarkation is from 1:00-3:00pm. That seems like sufficient time to me. We live in Florida and have always drove to our cruises on the day of, even the ones that were 4-5 hours away. I understand with flying (our first time) there are a lot more factors.

Ultimately, will we be ok?

Is there a red-eye flight you could make?  I'm flying from Virginia to Seattle in September and am looking at a flight that leaves at 7 p.m. the day before (after BF and I get off work) and gets to Seattle at an ungodly hour (LOL) but we shouldn't miss the ship!  Good luck to you.  

Edited by LadyMac72

7 hours ago, Coral said:

Because so much can delay planes. Weather in Boston can affect your flight. I have gone to the airport with a connection in Chicago and there were storms in both Chicago and Houston and all flights with that airline had delays. I have also had to sit on a runway for hours due to not having any gates because of a back log. Oh, there can be computer problems, plane problems, flight crew issues that can cause a delay with a plane leaving on time. Plus a million other things. I missed half my flights 2 summers ago due to issues.

Thank you! I’ve never flown and had no idea what to expect. We were truly going off our TAs recommendations. 

13 hours ago, CynCyn said:

I don’t know how much you fly through DFW, but a drop of rain snarls travel for hours.  I’d try to leave the night before and even sleep at the DFW Hyatt.  Whatever you do, don’t leave the secured area at DFW!

We’ve never flown at all before. This is our first.

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Where did you come up w that TA.  Make sure that you never ever use him again and make sure that you tell all of your friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. not to use him.  In fact, try to get him fired from whatever agency he works for.  I totally agree with all the dire scenarios that the rest of the people who have posted before me.  BTW - what is your layover time in DFW.

DON

A very close friend highly recommended them. I felt confident in all our plans until I rejoined Cruise Critic in anticipation of our cruise. But we’ve looked at it from every angle and don’t see any other option of change. Attached is our flight schedule.

483FA98C-AC8C-4EA4-9AF1-B7C994B0BE56.jpeg

5 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

I asked because this is a first for me and I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't until I recently rejoined Cruise Critic (months after booking and paying in full for everything) that I saw all of the posts about flying in the day prior. I asked because I wanted to know if anyone could offer any reassurances and that a similar situation had worked out for them. 

I didn't ask so that I could be belittled. I NOW realize the risk we are taking and understand on my end there is nothing I can do to change it. I had NO idea whatsoever about the "fly in a day before" unspoken policy. No one has ever mentioned nor informed me of this from the time I started planning this. I apologize for my stupidity. I truly had no idea. Thank you.

4 hours ago, VermeulT said:

I'm trying not to be overly negative for the OP's sake.  But I mentioned that I was delayed due to a medical emergency on my flight going to the cruise.  On that same cruise, I came back to Fort Lauderdale the day after the mass shooting at the airport when most flights were delayed and landed at my destination airport to 12" of snow that kept my hubby from being able to pick me up.  Three reasons in one trip to have trip insurance.  Fortunately, I flew in the day before and was lucky with my flight home barely being delayed.  I was lucky.  None of these issues caused my vacation to be affected. 

As Bumble Bee said - to the OP -  cross your fingers and hope for the best

I don't mind someone sharing their negative results in flying. However I totally appreciate you not making feel like an imbecile. ((I'm pretty sure I'm doing enough of that on my own, kicking myself and now dreading the first trip we have had in 10 years)). I asked for help because I had no idea. I've never flown. I didn't know what to expect. I was hoping to see if anyone else with a similar situation "might" have had it work out. I know it is a risk, now. One I didn't know nor consider prior to rejoining CC. My travel agent NEVER mentioned anything about this and still to this day (literally, today) she is telling me we will be ok. I'm nervous and want to change, and trust me I have been trying all day to get work schedules and child care schedules changed, but I am not seeing it happening. 

I didn't know about the PVSA, but will most definitely be forwarding this information to the TA asap, because if I understand correctly, we will miss the entire cruise because we can't leave a US port that isn't the same return port unless it's foreign.

4 hours ago, katrina915 said:

If you are saying that the cruise and flight can't be changed at this point, then make the most of it.  Pay extra for seats near the front of plane so you can get off quicker to make connection. Take a carry-on in case luggage is lost. Be familiar with DFW (print out terminal map). Have car waiting to pick you up at the airport and take you to port. Know which port your ship is at.

Is embarkation 1-3 or is that the suggested time to get on?  You need to know the latest time that you must be checking in.  Have a copy of the cruise line emergency number to call to let them know you are still coming.

Good luck and enjoy Alaska.

Thank you for your input. It states we can board the boat from 1-3 and the boat will leave at 4.

3 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

A couple of things...

Your connecting flight out of DFW - I assume it's AA 1079 - has a very high "on time" arrival record.  While of course past performance is no guarantee of future performance (as the stockbrokers say) I'd feel pretty confident that the plane won't be very late, if at all.

But even if it was an hour late (highly unlikely) then you'd still have plenty of time to make the ship; just go to the taxi stand in the parking garage and get the first available cab or towncar - they're next to each other - and off to the pier.

There are four ships sailing from Seattle on May 9, three from Pier 91 and one from Pier 66.  Which ship are you on?

You might also think about packing a carry-on with toiletries and a couple of days' clothes in case there's a hitch with luggage (there shouldn't be; you have almost an hour and a half at DFW, and American is generally very good with bag handling there.)  If there was a hitch, AA could send your other bags on to Ketchikan and you'd collect them there.  It might be a nuisance, but not impossible.  Or, of course, if you could manage the week's needs in carry-ons, that would speed you through the airport badda bing.

Are you returning the day of your return or the next?  Note that any departure from SEA heading east before 11 AM or so is very dicey on cruise days - big crowds at security checkpoints.

From what I've read we are Pier 91, Princess Ruby.

Thank you for the info about the carry-on. I will definitely make sure we do this.

We return the day the cruise returns. Our flight out leaves at 12:05pm.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Let us be kind to these young parents and first time flyers.  I work at Pier 91.  Generally speaking, at least 95% of the passengers arrive in time for their cruise.  Ideally it would be better/safer to arrive the day before, but lots of folks do travel the day of.  Some arrive at check-in happy and excited, others exhausted, still others stressed from the travel experience.

OP,  if your flight is delayed, have your airlines phone number in your phone and call the customer service number so they can start finding you an alternative flight connection.  This would be faster than standing in the customer service line at the airport.

Do consider carry on luggage, so if your flight into Seattle is delayed you don't have to worry about waiting for your luggage.

Make sure you tell your taxi/Uber driver which pier you need to go to (in Seattle either 66 or 91).  Early in the season, drivers make mistakes and drop off passengers at the wrong pier.  (Really!)

Make sure that you have the correct travel documents for the cruise. (Passport, Passport card, Birth Certificate (not footprint/hospital) with gov't issued photo ID, i.e. drivers license).  People are denied ship  boarding if they don't have the correct travel ID.  If you don't have passports make sure you both have official copies of your birth certificates.  Gather those documents now!

Even though the ship departs at 4 pm, the gangway is pulled usually just after 3:30.  Once the gangway is pulled there is no way to get on the ship. Shore staff is in consent communication with the ship so the ship knows how many passengers are still expected.  Shore staff will start calling late passengers around 2:45 asking where they are, and if they still intend to sail (sometimes folks cancel, but don't inform the cruise line).  Make sure you provide a good cell phone number when you do your on-line check-in..

Worst case scenario, if you miss the ship in Seattle you will have to fly into the next port of call in Alaska at your own expense.

Bottom line, the odds are in your favor, but it might be a stressful travel day.

Thank you for your kindness. All of your information is very helpful to deal with the situation we have ahead. If I could change it, trust me I've tried, I would.

Placing AA number in my phone now! We will definitely make sure to have a decent carry-on. We both have ordered passports and will look into what other docs we will need. We are Pier 91!

What about the PVSA? Wouldn't we not be able to fly to the next port per this?

1 hour ago, sr71_1 said:

We were bitten once - never again will we fly the day of ship departure.      

Story:  Direct flight was to arrive in Orlando at 10:00 am with  Disney cruise to depart at 5:00 pm.    Seemed like loads of time... BUT... we missed the boat - it does not wait for you!    

In our case while the plane was being pushed back from the gate the ground crew pushed it too far ...off the tarmac and into the grass/mud.    They could not get it out ... and could not arrange alternatives in time.    

We caught up with the ship a day later at its 1st port of call... don't think you will have that option if you miss this boat.    We were not the only ones ...dozens of cruisers missed their ships that day as well. 

I hope it all works out for you -

Thank you for the information! I can assure you, after this one (if we ever have to fly again) we will always get there a day before.

1 hour ago, LadyMac72 said:

Is there a red-eye flight you could make?  I'm flying from Virginia to Seattle in September and am looking at a flight that leaves at 7 p.m. the day before (after BF and I get off work) and gets to Seattle at an ungodly hour (LOL) but we shouldn't miss the ship!  Good luck to you.  

I've asked our TA and she's looking into it, but stating that everything will be a lot more than what we originally booked. So that will depend on how much and also if we can get child care. That's my biggest concern, my babies.

Once you arrive at Pier 91 you can start the boarding process.  You don't have to wait until the time that may be specified on your boarding pass. 

You can drop your luggage off with the porters outside in the drive area if you have your Princess issued luggage tags attached.  Porters have staplers so they can attach tags if you bring them from home.  ( Princess porters will be in yellow vests pushing carts).  If you don't have luggage tags, there will be a desk outside the building where the longshoremen/porters will look up your stateroom and make a tag for you.  if Porters are hard to come by, you can also carry your luggage into the Pier 91 building and drop it off with porters at the  luggage screening area.  You will need to show your travel documents once you get into the building, so please have them ready.  Final luggage option is to carry your own luggage on-board (most folks do not do this).  Small carry on yes, large luggage, no.

Once you are inside Pier 91and in line to start the check-in process you will first show your travel ID.  Then folks in uniform will check your ID again against either your boarding pass, or if you don't have that against the ships' manifest.

Then you will go up the escalator and go through security screening (like at the airport, but more relaxed).

Then you will get into another line and present your ID for the last time and then get officially checked in and receive your stateroom key (plastic card, similar to a hotel card).  This is how it was handled last season, so unless the Ruby is going with the new technology Medallion (?) the process should be similar this 2020 season.

Princess check-in usually goes fast.  Since you will be arriving after noon, most likely once you are done checking in you will walk right on to the ship!  Staterooms probably ready around 1:30 or so.

If you have any questions while at Pier 91, please just ask.  Staff is wonderful there!  :  )

22 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

Thank you for your kindness. All of your information is very helpful to deal with the situation we have ahead. If I could change it, trust me I've tried, I would.

Placing AA number in my phone now! We will definitely make sure to have a decent carry-on. We both have ordered passports and will look into what other docs we will need. We are Pier 91!

What about the PVSA? Wouldn't we not be able to fly to the next port per this?

If you had to, or chose to leave the ship before reaching the require foreign port of Victoria, BC, (your last port of call on your cruise) I believe that you would be fined nearly $800.  

While I would have advised going the day before, given that’s not an option and you now know for future plans, I can offer one potentially reassuring tidbit. I’m a frequent flyer from many airports in Florida (been to JAX many times), and in my experience, the flights that leave at 6AM go as scheduled and morning connections go as scheduled. Weather in Florida tends to be better in the morning and the planes and crews tend to already be in position from the night before.

Massive cascading delays happen when weather hits a hub (like Atlanta or Dallas) and that tends to get worse as the day goes on. I’ve had MANY flight delays/problems with flights leaving later in the day (as a result of operational or weather issues earlier in the day), but very few flight delays/problems with early morning flights.

Of course problems can and do happen in the morning, and there are no guarantees, but relatively speaking morning flights are more reliable.

You’ve received some good practical advice on here. If switching to the day before really isn’t an option, then I’d take the advice that works for you and hope for the best, knowing at least that you’re flying at the time of day that tends to have fewer problems.  Best of luck!

• Like 3

This was the response I received from our TA:

I don’t believe you will miss the cruise. You can call princess and ask them about the PVSA law bc honestly I’ve not heard of it and cruise line wouldn’t have a reason to lie about getting you to the next port.