Surprising "Platinum Plan" Insurance Exclusions

jimdee3636

I'm a Platinum member with Princess, and have the Platinum Plan Vacation Protection coverage for a cruise in early February. My wife saw a doctor yesterday for a new and somewhat disturbing symptom. The doctor took a biopsy and told her that it might take up to a week to get the result, but that if it comes back positive surgery will be needed. If surgery is needed, the cruise would have to be cancelled. I wanted to know ahead of time what would be involved if we have to cancel so I read the policy and, failing to find everything I was looking for, called AON Affinity, the insurer. I was told that upon cancellation a) the taxes and port charges are refunded in full; and b) the cost of the cruise itself is either refunded in full or credited toward a future cruise, depending on the reasons for cancelling. (Basically, a documented medical reason gets you a refund, a non-medical reason gets you a future cruise credit).

So far, so good. However, I was also told there would be no refund or credit for our prepaid extras such as alcoholic beverage packages, airport-to-ship transfers, specialty dining charges, or any other such items, no matter what the reason for cancelling is. They would be forfeited. This seems crazy. The beverage package alone is nearly $70 per person, per day. Is it possible that Princess would be able to pocket the whole amount in the event of a medical cancellation? I realize this is still, for us, a theoretical question, but has anyone ever encountered this particular "exclusion" before? If so, is there any way way to overcome it? Princess constantly pushes the "convenience" of ordering---and paying for---onboard extras ahead of time, but apparently it's buyer beware.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

I'm a Platinum member with Princess, and have the Platinum Plan Vacation Protection coverage for a cruise in early February. My wife saw a doctor yesterday for a new and somewhat disturbing symptom. The doctor took a biopsy and told her that it might take up to a week to get the result, but that if it comes back positive surgery will be needed. If surgery is needed, the cruise would have to be cancelled. I wanted to know ahead of time what would be involved if we have to cancel so I read the policy and, failing to find everything I was looking for, called AON Affinity, the insurer. I was told that upon cancellation a) the taxes and port charges are refunded in full; and b) the cost of the cruise itself is either refunded in full or credited toward a future cruise, depending on the reasons for cancelling. (Basically, a documented medical reason gets you a refund, a non-medical reason gets you a future cruise credit).

So far, so good. However, I was also told there would be no refund or credit for our prepaid extras such as alcoholic beverage packages, airport-to-ship transfers, specialty dining charges, or any other such items, no matter what the reason for cancelling is. They would be forfeited. This seems crazy. The beverage package alone is nearly $70 per person, per day. Is it possible that Princess would be able to pocket the whole amount in the event of a medical cancellation? I realize this is still, for us, a theoretical question, but has anyone ever encountered this particular "exclusion" before? If so, is there any way way to overcome it? Princess constantly pushes the "convenience" of ordering---and paying for---onboard extras ahead of time, but apparently it's buyer beware.

Thats too bad.........I would think if you have insurance and cancel and not sail that the PBP would be canceled out.

We never pre purchase this stuff and always buy onboard.

While your insurance does not cover those items, Princess DOES refund them to you in full via the method of prepayment if you cancel 5 days or more in advance.  It’s all on the website when you booked those items.

AON did not tell you that because it is not part of ‘their’ responsibility..but they should not have told you that it would be out of pocket for you because THAT was not their responsibility either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

While your insurance does not cover those items, Princess DOES refund them to you in full via the method of prepayment if you cancel 5 days or more in advance.  It’s all on the website when you booked those items.

AON did not tell you that because it is not part of ‘their’ responsibility..but they should not have told you that it would be out of pocket for you because THAT was not their responsibility either.

Thanks for the clarification, cherylandtk. Although I've been on nearly thirty cruises over the past twenty years, I've never had to cancel one. It's sobering to realize how much an experienced cruiser---me, anyway---doesn't know about some of "the basics."

1 hour ago, jimdee3636 said:

Thanks for the clarification, cherylandtk. Although I've been on nearly thirty cruises over the past twenty years, I've never had to cancel one. It's sobering to realize how much an experienced cruiser---me, anyway---doesn't know about some of "the basics."

You are not the only one. I would be willing to bet over 90% of those who get insurance do not know all the ins and outs of the policy nor how to file a claim.

Also, many think they have a credit card that will cover the cancellation and other needs without checking what the limits for that coverage is. This completely over looks the elephant in the room. The real need for coverage is in case of injury. If you are injured and can not get on the flight on your own, you could very easily go through 50K to get home.

• Like 1

Did you check if the prepaid packages have a clause that says you can get a refund 72 hours prior to the cruise? I prepaid gratuities and bought some OBC for a cruise in April. I wouldn't have done that if it didn't have that clause.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting  I try to only book excursions Pre cruise when I have OBC to pay with. When I have cancelled before final payment my speciality dining was credited back to my credit card

Hi, 

We had to cancel a back to back cruise for medical reasons recently and AON was fantastic to work with.  We filed the claim and sent in the medical form and the approval was back within a few business days and the checks were received about a week later. I was pleasantly surprised by how great they were to work with.

The onboard items like prepaid tips, specialty dining etc were all things reimbursed by Princess ( because the purchases were cancelled along with the cruise).  

• Thanks 3

22 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

JimmyD, CheryLand (close enough that I am tempted to dub her "Cheryl Ladd" -- sorry, TK!) is correct, this is a matter of sloppy communications by AON.  AON pays only its part of the vacation fares, but Princess refunds the drink packages, pre-paid gratuities, pre-paid excursions, etc.  Just be sure to cancel prior to the cancellation deadline, and print out your cancellation notices.

Good luck with the biopsy, I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

JimmyD, CheryLand (close enough that I am tempted to dub her "Cheryl Ladd" -- sorry, TK!) is correct, this is a matter of sloppy communications by AON.  AON pays only its part of the vacation fares, but Princess refunds the drink packages, pre-paid gratuities, pre-paid excursions, etc.  Just be sure to cancel prior to the cancellation deadline, and print out your cancellation notices.

Good luck with the biopsy, I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

I’ll take Cheryl Ladd 😁(TK doesn’t have to know)

Edited by cherylandtk

AON is indeed good to work with. My parents had to cancel a cruise they were taking with us, about 2 weeks before sailing. My mom fell, and was advised not to travel. They also missed our eldest son's wedding as a result. Anyway, AON claim processing is pretty easy and straightforward, and Princess does refund excursions and other prepaid items on your account. 

AON required medical documentation - that was the part that took the longest, getting it from the dr. office. I was able to get things started for them on line, and they followed up with the balance of the medical paperwork while we were on that cruise. They insisted we go without them. 

Mom is just fine. She didn't break anything, some bad bruising and lots of discomfort for a while, but all healed and ready to go cruising with us and Dad in February.