Ijmuiden - locality and excursions

BanburyBlue

Hi all,

We're looking at a cruise that spends 2 days in Ijmuiden.  Looking for some advice on...

1, is there anything in Ijmuiden itself? 

2, what sort of shore excursions are available from Ijmuiden.

I think I've read elsewhere, that the shuttle bus to Amsterdam has improved?

Many thanks

There is nothing of interest in the town of Ijmuiden.  Neither is it attractive in any way.  Near the dock are some old gun emplacements in bunkers from WW2, with an informal 'museum' but no signage in English and it has limited opening times as I believe it may still be run by volunteers.  If the weather is good, the beach is fabulous.

The tours on offer are basically the same as the ones for Amsterdam.  I was on the first P&O call to Ijmuiden and on the first day took a tour to Edam, which as well as being famous for the cheese is a pretty little village. We called in at a dairy where they showed us how the cheese was made including some of the traditional methods and tools used as well as trying some cheeses.  We also visited Zaanse Schans,which is an open air museum of restored Dutch houses and Windmills.  It was an enjoyable day out and I can recommend.

I have heard that the shuttle service has improved - which it needed to.  That first call was an utter farce.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Britboys said:

There is nothing of interest in the town of Ijmuiden.  Neither is it attractive in any way.  Near the dock are some old gun emplacements in bunkers from WW2, with an informal 'museum' but no signage in English and it has limited opening times as I believe it may still be run by volunteers.  If the weather is good, the beach is fabulous.

The tours on offer are basically the same as the ones for Amsterdam.  I was on the first P&O call to Ijmuiden and on the first day took a tour to Edam, which as well as being famous for the cheese is a pretty little village. We called in at a dairy where they showed us how the cheese was made including some of the traditional methods and tools used as well as trying some cheeses.  We also visited Zaanse Schans,which is an open air museum of restored Dutch houses and Windmills.  It was an enjoyable day out and I can recommend.

I have heard that the shuttle service has improved - which it needed to.  That first call was an utter farce.

Great advice above. 

The shuttle is fine, takes about 40-60 minutes and runs all night and its free. 

It drops you where the ships used to dock, close to Central Station. 

Amsterdam is Amsterdam, very marmite. 

Harlem is closer to the port and an interesting place to visit. 

Next time we go we will do the Edam tour, it looks amazing. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Close to the dock are a restaurant/bar and the Bunker Museum.  Both were closed the day I visited. Monday I think. 

Within reasonable walking distance of the dock are a beach, a few shops, bars, restaurants and marina.  Do not think St Tropez though. Depending on the time of year these may not be open (possibly ever) or very pleasant. 

If you have done absolutely everything else offered, it is the summer and the weather is good and it is not Monday then you could have an hour or two off the ship in Ijmuiden. Alternatively you could stay on the ship. 

I feel I might not be selling this port. I went in the summer and the weather was nice so I wondered round, sat of the beach with my book and had a coffee in a beach bar. Actually it was a pleasant afternoon and a bit of quite break from my Marella 90s Music cruise (3 night from Newcastle with fancy dress encouraged). They had drug sniffing dogs when you got back on the ship. I am not sure if P&O do this. 

Best wishes, Stephen.  

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Great advice above. 

The shuttle is fine, takes about 40-60 minutes and runs all night and its free. 

It drops you where the ships used to dock, close to Central Station. 

Amsterdam is Amsterdam, very marmite. 

Harlem is closer to the port and an interesting place to visit. 

Next time we go we will do the Edam tour, it looks amazing. 

Andy 

Yes, Haarlem is nearer and very nice - but not easy to get to from Ijmuiden as there is no direct connection.  I'm glad that on my next cruise call into Amsterdam we are docked in the city itself (with Fred Olsen). 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Britboys said:

Yes, Haarlem is nearer and very nice - but not easy to get to from Ijmuiden as there is no direct connection.  I'm glad that on my next cruise call into Amsterdam we are docked in the city itself (with Fred Olsen). 

We are actively avoiding any cruise now that does not dock in the city centre. Ijimuiden  is basically very boring with nothing much to do and a very long shuttle journey to Amsterdam. Once in Amsterdam there are world class attractions to see.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We are actively avoiding any cruise now that does not dock in the city centre. Ijimuiden  is basically very boring with nothing much to do and a very long shuttle journey to Amsterdam. Once in Amsterdam there are world class attractions to see.

A lot of cruises no longer dock in the city centre, but something to consider is if the ship docks in Rotterdam, especially if you have an overnight ( as we did) . The train journey to Amsterdam from Rotterdam is very easy to do, and indeed, train to anywhere from Rotterdam is easy.  And Rotterdam itself is a port worth visiting...there is loads to do DIY, and the city itself is very interesting. You dock in the city, and the City authority themselves provide a free shuttle into the centre ( no more than 10 mins) although it is easy to walk into, or at least walk across the bridge and get around from there by tram or boat. Feel free to ask anything about this post.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mysticalmother said:

A lot of cruises no longer dock in the city centre, but something to consider is if the ship docks in Rotterdam, especially if you have an overnight ( as we did) . The train journey to Amsterdam from Rotterdam is very easy to do, and indeed, train to anywhere from Rotterdam is easy.  And Rotterdam itself is a port worth visiting...there is loads to do DIY, and the city itself is very interesting. You dock in the city, and the City authority themselves provide a free shuttle into the centre ( no more than 10 mins) although it is easy to walk into, or at least walk across the bridge and get around from there by tram or boat. Feel free to ask anything about this post.

Agree, we actually really enjoy Rotterdam. We have had several overnights there and find it a  nice place to visit. Not only are there interesting things in the town (just 20 minutes walk over the Erasmus bridge)  but near the dock too. There is a very nice micro - brewery just over the bridge  at the dock which does jazz in a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mysticalmother said:

We are looking forward to overnight in Rotterdam, never been before and we have done Amsterdam to death. 

We are there on Britannia in April, so doing Keukenhof one day and the city itself the other. 

Can't wait. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, Mysticalmother said:

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Agree, we actually really enjoy Rotterdam. We have had several overnights there and find it a  nice place to visit. Not only are there interesting things in the town (just 20 minutes walk over the Erasmus bridge)  but near the dock too. There is a very nice micro - brewery just over the bridge  at the dock which does jazz in a Sunday afternoon.

The cruise I am doing spends early morning to late night on the Saturday in Amsterdam and then early morning to late afternoon in Rotterdam on the Sunday!  Any must-do highlight recommendations for Rotterdam gratefully received as I have never been there (been to Amsterdam many times).  We also have an overnight in Antwerp and a day in Ghent plus a day in Honfleur.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, Britboys said:

The cruise I am doing spends early morning to late night on the Saturday in Amsterdam and then early morning to late afternoon in Rotterdam on the Sunday!  Any must-do highlight recommendations for Rotterdam gratefully received as I have never been there (been to Amsterdam many times).  We also have an overnight in Antwerp and a day in Ghent plus a day in Honfleur.

Personally I really enjoyed going up inside the cube houses for a visit. They are just across from the drop off for the shuttle bus so you can’t miss them. Most people just look from the outside but it is worth going in imo. The food market is a nice way to spend an hour as well, again very near the drop off.

Nothing much opens on Sunday morning until at least 11am (most things not until 12 mid day) so don’t rush into the town very  early on the Sunday for visits (unless like us you just enjoy a good walk and a coffee in one of the coffee shops which do open earlier or intend to go to the Cube Houses which I think open at 10 am even on Sunday but check) but you should still have time to do both these options in the time you have. 

If you are a shopper then there are lots of quite quirky shops to browse (yes even on a Sunday after 12 noon). There is also a very elegant department store at the very end of the main shopping area across the road and tram lines (you will see what I mean when you get there).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2020 at 6:40 PM, AndyMichelle said:

We are looking forward to overnight in Rotterdam, never been before and we have done Amsterdam to death. 

We are there on Britannia in April, so doing Keukenhof one day and the city itself the other. 

Can't wait. 

Andy 

We went to Keukenhof last year. It was fantastic.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 5:00 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Personally I really enjoyed going up inside the cube houses for a visit. They are just across from the drop off for the shuttle bus so you can’t miss them. Most people just look from the outside but it is worth going in imo. The food market is a nice way to spend an hour as well, again very near the drop off.

Nothing much opens on Sunday morning until at least 11am (most things not until 12 mid day) so don’t rush into the town very  early on the Sunday for visits (unless like us you just enjoy a good walk and a coffee in one of the coffee shops which do open earlier or intend to go to the Cube Houses which I think open at 10 am even on Sunday but check) but you should still have time to do both these options in the time you have. 

If you are a shopper then there are lots of quite quirky shops to browse (yes even on a Sunday after 12 noon). There is also a very elegant department store at the very end of the main shopping area across the road and tram lines (you will see what I mean when you get there).

Many thanks for the info.  I like the sound of the cube houses.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:11 PM, happy v said:

We went to Keukenhof last year. It was fantastic.

I keep missing that opportunity.  Last time I went to Amsterdam, it was in March and before they opened.  This year I am going in May after they have closed!

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I keep missing that opportunity.  Last time I went to Amsterdam, it was in March and before they opened.  This year I am going in May after they have closed!

It seemed silly to not visit Keukenhof as we are there in April, might never get another chance. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Britboys said:

It was a complete surprise to us. The excursion only became available a couple of week before travel. I cancelled one I had already booked and changed.

• Like 1