Would you fly over Iran?

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I recall an Iranian airliner being accidentally shot down not too many years ago by a US surface to air missile fired from a US warship. Did anyone stop flying over US water? Who can you trust?

Iranian Air Flight 655

Accidental shootings have happened before and after awhile people will forget about this one like they did all the others and not think twice about flying in that airspace😂

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Iranian Air Flight 655

Accidental shootings have happened before and after awhile people will forget about this one like they did all the others and not think twice about flying in that airspace😂

Perhaps. However, I don't recall the US government ever absolutely denying it was shot down, and it was additionally operating in a war zone, so the fact missiles were being sent and shots fired between the different camps was not unexpected, only the target was.

Here there is no such justification, which would also explain why there are differing reactions.

Edited by The_Big_M

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Perhaps. However, I don't recall the US government ever absolutely denying it was shot down, and it was additionally operating in a war zone, so the fact missiles were being sent and shots fired between the different camps was not unexpected, only the target was.

Here there is no such justification, which would also explain why there are differing reactions.

I think comparing a Western democracy to an Autocratic theocracy is like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously they are going to respond differently as they are governments who have a different set of values, procedures and prioritise different things. And while it wasn't an active war in the legal sense of the word I think the events preceding it were enough to put any country in a state of paranoia no different to the USA when they shot down the Iranian commercial airliner. 

18 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think comparing a Western democracy to an Autocratic theocracy is like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously they are going to respond differently as they are governments who have a different set of values, procedures and prioritise different things. And while it wasn't an active war in the legal sense of the word I think the events preceding it were enough to put any country in a state of paranoia no different to the USA when they shot down the Iranian commercial airliner. 

I'm not sure how that makes it an excuse for them to shoot down the plane. And if it does, that would surely be even more reason to avoid the place.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I'm not sure how that makes it an excuse for them to shoot down the plane. And if it does, that would surely be even more reason to avoid the place.

It is not an excuse but it probably is an explanation. History is littered with examples of people making stupid decisions because of fear and heightened tensions. Humans just don't work as well when we are scared. Thankfully tensions have gone right down so there should be more thinking rather than reacting. 

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I would not be doing a land tour in Iran but I'm not about to cancel my Qatar Airways flight to Azerbaijan in April.

Ironically before all this happened Iran was listed as the safest country in the Middle East to travel to especially for women. I really feel bad for the people of Iran this will hurt their tourism industry.