Shuttle bus from Lexioes to Oporto

jake 26

We are on Aurora in April and calling at Lexioes for Oporto. Last time in Oporto we did the city and river excursion, but this time want to explore the city on our own.

Does anyone know if P&O run shuttle buses from the port to the city?

We were on Aurora last year and there were shuttle buses from the port to Oporto.

They run along the coast road then down into Oporto and they started and finished near chair lift station on the side of the river where all the Port Cellars are located.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, awmartin said:

We were on Aurora last year and there were shuttle buses from the port to Oporto.

They run along the coast road then down into Oporto and they started and finished near chair lift station on the side of the river where all the Port Cellars are located.

When I have been in the past I was dropped off in the middle(ish) of town, but like awmartin says, last time (October) they dropped us off on the riverside down by the port houses.  Suited me, but a lot of people were not too happy, as it is a way from the town. Taxi's are very cheap in Portugal though if you need one, and there is always the cable car. 

10 minutes ago, davemorton said:

When I have been in the past I was dropped off in the middle(ish) of town, but like awmartin says, last time (October) they dropped us off on the riverside down by the port houses.  Suited me, but a lot of people were not too happy, as it is a way from the town. Taxi's are very cheap in Portugal though if you need one, and there is always the cable car. 

Thanks davemorton, either place will suit us as we intend to go to both, and probably ride the cable car for the views.

5 minutes ago, emam said:

If you have booked select the shuttles will be free. If you booked saver you will be charged, I think both ways and per person.

We're select, so that is to our advantage at least.

Lexioes is a nice little place in itself. There is a lovely walkway, a beach and some pleasant little cafes etc.

We sat and had lunch on the sea front at one which included a half bottle of Mateus Rose with the set menu. It was the first time we had tasted Mateus since the 70s when it used to be like pink sugar water. This was completely different and was sharp and fizzy, apparently they changed the recipe and made the product much dryer in the 90s, a bit of a revelation and we have had it odd times since.

Anyway if you fancy a quiet day and have done Oporto before then a nice walk and lunch is possible. Some of these smaller places can be lovely, Bilbao is another where everyone rushes into the city but Getxo is near the ship and offers a nice day out with local tapas etc.

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Lexioes is a nice little place in itself. There is a lovely walkway, a beach and some pleasant little cafes etc.

We sat and had lunch on the sea front at one which included a half bottle of Mateus Rose with the set menu. It was the first time we had tasted Mateus since the 70s when it used to be like pink sugar water. This was completely different and was sharp and fizzy, apparently they changed the recipe and made the product much dryer in the 90s, a bit of a revelation and we have had it odd times since.

Anyway if you fancy a quiet day and have done Oporto before then a nice walk and lunch is possible. Some of these smaller places can be lovely, Bilbao is another where everyone rushes into the city but Getxo is near the ship and offers a nice day out with local tapas etc.

Thanks Eglesbrech, that's worth knowing.

I recall Mateus from way back, it always gave me heartburn, but clearly more palatable now!

Forgot to mention to cross the river you can walk over the Louis 1 bridge or take one of the ferries. The lower walkway of the bridge is only a single pavement which can get quite challenging when it’s busy or the ferries which are cheap and regular and a nice view of both banks.

Last time I was there not on a P & O but another cruise line, the Hop On Hop Off buses extended their route to the port gates, drove us along the road to the start of the run, we transferred tp another bus where we paid I think around fifteen euros. We got off at the top of the town of Porto, took a steady stroll down to the river and got on the HoHo bus there, saved walking back up the hill 😄

• Like 1