This probably doesn’t happen often.

cruisepsycho

The Pride and Legend will be docked side by side at the Old San Juan terminal on Feb 1st when we board the Pride for our Caribbean cruise. The Legend will be leaving the same day on a trans-Atlantic sailing.  What a nice photo op to begin our first Windstar Cruise.  I’m sure the crews of each ship will enjoy some free time meeting up with friends. 

Back in the day when Istanbul was on the list of ports and the Spirit went on a permanent vacation in Hatiti, the Spirit and the Star would routinely be in Rhodes on the same day. It was even cooler with the masts and sails, and they made quite a show of it with the 2 ships departing at the same time and actually sailing around each other a couple times (well probably motoring, but still) before leaving port one after the other - one headed West and the other East. Totally cool.

We were on Surf in Greece this summer and had a tandem sailaway with the Star. It was so much fun, passengers waving from the two ships, 1492 playing on both ships and a beautiful day. 

16 hours ago, sb44 said:

We were on Surf in Greece this summer and had a tandem sailaway with the Star. It was so much fun, passengers waving from the two ships, 1492 playing on both ships and a beautiful day. 

OK, I have to ask. I'm not familiar with a song 1492 but google brings up the children's song based on a children's rhyme.

It also brings up a stirring song by Vangelis, Conquest of Paradise from the movie 1492. Is that what is played? 

It would be amazing to hear that while watching the ships with their sails billowing, leaving port. 

BTW: am I to assume that Windstar makes sail-aways an occasion? They do on Silversea, each and every port, except late night departures*. On Crystal, while they play It's a Wonderful World on the internal speakers (but not cabins) as they leave port, there was no on-deck reception and no good place to really watch the action. Which became one of the reasons I didn't enjoy Crystal. I'm looking forward to the experience of being on a ship again,  not on a floating resort. 

*One night in Halifax, I sensed something was up while arriving back on board (it was obvious the ship was being prepared for sailing even though it was still 4 hours until we were due to leave.) We dumped our stuff in the cabin and then went up to the observation deck. Most people were at dinner (we had eaten with family ashore) and we had the deck to ourselves. Sure enough, the captain and pilot were preparing to leave. On Silversea, the observation deck is above the open maneuvering bridge and it is common to chat back and forth with the captain if he's not concentrating on something else. I called down, "Are we sneaking out of port now?" and he said yes, storms were ahead and he wanted to try and outrun them and get into the Gulf of St. Lawrence without too much rocking and rolling. It is that sort of 'ship stuff' that I'm hoping to find on Windstar, especially since our crossing will be so quiet with the ship only half full.  

It always puts tears in my eyes. Not quite the same on the motor yachts but still beautiful.  We actually watched the 1992 movie "Conquest of Paradise " on Amazon this year. One of the worst written, acted, and produced movies ever but great music! It was a rainy day!

I think we must be the only people in the world who are sick to death of 1492. It just want to make me barf. I can sort of handle it with the sails, but when the raise that stupid little flag on the motor yachts we just grumble about "flag away." The crew looks a little embarrassed.

1 hour ago, milepig said:

I think we must be the only people in the world who are sick to death of 1492. It just want to make me barf. I can sort of handle it with the sails, but when the raise that stupid little flag on the motor yachts we just grumble about "flag away." The crew looks a little embarrassed.

Milepig I appreciate and respect your insightful comments all the time.  But on this one, I think you are the only one who does not appreciate the playing of 1492 at Sail Away.  And we even like it on the Star Class yachts.  Actually we would prefer that it be played on all outside/open decks.  Last week, on the Wind Spirit, out of Bora Bora well after dark,  the wife and I spent Sail Away on deck four in front of the Bridge.  As small as the "little sisters" are, you can only hear the music back on the pool bar area on deck four.

Our first Star Class sailing was on the Pride out of Rome in 2016.  We were delighted to have Sail Away, even then, without sails.

I'm also Team Sailaway. On our recent Panama trip, the sailaway time was listed each night as 6 pm (or something). We would be in our cabin getting ready when I would look up at 5:30 and we were already in motion. Boo hoo.😥 And Kate, don't miss it on your transatlantic, cause there's only one!

Looking  forward to experience the playing of this Vangelis work as we depart the port of San Juan.  While I have enjoyed the playing of What a Wonderful World on sail always on Crystal Symphony,  I think nothing will ever compare to the experience of hearing Scottish bagpipes playing Amazing Grace on every departure as sails were hoisted on the now long defunct Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. That was always so special.

31 minutes ago, cruisepsycho said:

Looking  forward to experience the playing of this Vangelis work as we depart the port of San Juan.  While I have enjoyed the playing of What a Wonderful World on sail always on Crystal Symphony,  I think nothing will ever compare to the experience of hearing Scottish bagpipes playing Amazing Grace on every departure as sails were hoisted on the now long defunct Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. That was always so special.

You are so right about the Windjammer. We were on the Yankee Clipper in 1982, Antigua. Jimmy Buffet came up on the beach and played his guitar sitting in the sand. I suggested Amazing Grace for the motor yachts instead of 1492 but it never happened.

7 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Milepig I appreciate and respect your insightful comments all the time.  But on this one, I think you are the only one who does not appreciate the playing of 1492 at Sail Away.  And we even like it on the Star Class yachts.  Actually we would prefer that it be played on all outside/open decks.  Last week, on the Wind Spirit, out of Bora Bora well after dark,  the wife and I spent Sail Away on deck four in front of the Bridge.  As small as the "little sisters" are, you can only hear the music back on the pool bar area on deck four.

Our first Star Class sailing was on the Pride out of Rome in 2016.  We were delighted to have Sail Away, even then, without sails.

I knew my post wouldn’t be a popular opinion but that’s ok!! We just hunker down by the bar and it’s all over in a few minutes. Cheers. 

4 minutes ago, milepig said:

I knew my post wouldn’t be a popular opinion but that’s ok!! We just hunker down by the bar and it’s all over in a few minutes. Cheers. 

If you head up in front of the bridge (on either class) you can set your own agenda, without hearing any music.

We are on the Surf tomorrow and the sail aways are very much joyfully anticipated. This is our 26 th we never tire of hearing it and probably have just missed a handful after all these years.  Give it a try, be your own judge, we think it is especially beautiful on the sailing ships. Enjoy. This  from a person who is an avid classical music fan and opera lover.

Happy Sailing.

My wife and I bought the CD while on board our first Windstar cruise 15 years ago. And in the weeks leading up to cruises since then, we will enjoy dinner our our patio, with Conquest of Paradise playing in the background.

I saw the movie (not great) and bought the soundtrack when it came out in 92 so have known the song for a while (I was a Vangelis fan in the 70's and 80's).  It's a great monumental song that needs to be played loud to fully appreciate it and this is exactly what we do in the car in the weeks leading up to our cruise.  Gets us in vacation mood.  Looking forward to our next cruise in March.