Zaandam- flat panel TVs and floor to ceiling showers yet?

TonyC1952

We’re considering a 2021 sailing of the MS Zaandam, and are wondering if she has had the upgrades we’re enjoying on the MS Volendam? We’re really liking the interactive TVs and the showers are wonderful! Can any recent cruisers help us with this information? Thanks.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:34 PM, TonyC1952 said:

We’re considering a 2021 sailing of the MS Zaandam, and are wondering if she has had the upgrades we’re enjoying on the MS Volendam? We’re really liking the interactive TVs and the showers are wonderful! Can any recent cruisers help us with this information? Thanks.

We were on the Zaandam last July and they still have the small tv on the desks and a bathtub/shower combo. For movies you had to borrow dvds from guest services. However I think I saw that  the Zaandam is scheduled for dry rock soon so maybe they'll do upgrades then? Search for dry rock schedule s on this board and you may be able to find some more information on what's happening in dry dock. 

Edited by TwinMommyByGrace

Not sure what the upcoming dry dock will accomplish, but some of the cabins (including ours) were fitted with the nice glass showers in 2018. Here is a notice we got before our Panama Canal cruise in 2018 (the first cruise following the drydock.) At that time and also on our South America/Antarctica cruise in February 2019 the TV's were all still the old ones with DVD players.

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Zaandam
that during the April 2018 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below staterooms will
be updated to a shower-only configuration:

Lower Promenade Deck: D3331 - D3370
Main Deck: C2564 - C2647

Please note, this change does not affect all Ocean-view staterooms, only the
specific staterooms noted above. We thank you for your attention to this matter
and look forward to welcoming you on board.

• Like 1

I think it takes a lot to convert the older ships to the on demand tv.  I hear that the Amsterdam may be updated (which makes sense since it does the World Cruise) but I wouldn’t count on seeing the other older ships done that were built before the Vista Class.  JMO.

Ironically the Prinsendam (the smallest ship in the fleet while she was there) had larger tv’s and flat screens in the suites at least.    But, like the other older ships, there was no “on demand”, just the DVD player.

Thanks to those who have answered- we’re presently on the Volendam and all the rooms have remodeled bathrooms with showers, and all the rooms have interactive TVs... same class of ship, same size as the Zaandam and Amsterdam, so it’s a question of HAL priorities. We love the upgrades!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AryMay said:

Not sure what the upcoming dry dock will accomplish, but some of the cabins (including ours) were fitted with the nice glass showers in 2018. Here is a notice we got before our Panama Canal cruise in 2018 (the first cruise following the drydock.) At that time and also on our South America/Antarctica cruise in February 2019 the TV's were all still the old ones with DVD players.

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Zaandam
that during the April 2018 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below staterooms will
be updated to a shower-only configuration:

Lower Promenade Deck: D3331 - D3370
Main Deck: C2564 - C2647

Please note, this change does not affect all Ocean-view staterooms, only the
specific staterooms noted above. We thank you for your attention to this matter
and look forward to welcoming you on board.

Hi there,

That is fantastic news as we've done a few HAL cruises and I hate those shower over bath arrangements. We are toying with a Zaandam cruise in April of 2021, and the cabins I'm looking at fall within those C-category numbers. Just not sure whether to book early, with absolutely no sweeteners thrown in (we're in Australia) or to hold off and hope for some special deals to pop up later in the year.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, TonyC1952 said:

Thanks to those who have answered- we’re presently on the Volendam and all the rooms have remodeled bathrooms with showers, and all the rooms have interactive TVs... same class of ship, same size as the Zaandam and Amsterdam, so it’s a question of HAL priorities. We love the upgrades!

Love the Volendam, and we will love her even more now. I'm assuming the showers are now like those in the lanai rooms - nice. Ah, this is such good news, almost better than a cup of coffee.

Cheers

I sailed Zaandam May 2019  in a Neptune and had a   tube/shower combo.  I really enjoyed Zaandam as I had not  sailed her for  s ome years though we did sail her going way back to her inaugural  season.as well as  a  number of times since.    Thos e cruises were my first completely solo and Zaandam was so kind  to me, I plan to sail all alone again this year.

sail.noordam@gmail.com