Cunard with a Wheelchair?

GRBlizz

My husband has advanced MS. He uses a power chair, and cannot stand at all. We have cruised Celebrity quite a bit, and everything is quite accessible; we usually get an Aqua Class cabin on one of the S ships. We are looking at a Baltic cruise on Cunard Queen Victoria. Website says it is fully accessible, but I wanted to hear from someone who has been there.

Once concern I have is the dress code. I don't think we would enjoy having to change him into long pants every night, even though he's fine with wearing button down shirts and a jacket. Will that be a deal breaker on Cunard?

Appreciate any advice.

Since it has been 23 hours without any replies, I think you should ask this on the Cunard board here.  We saw lots of scooters on our QE Cruise.  But I think you are going to have to bite the bullet on the long pants.  Either get pants with zip off legs, or not wear shorts.   The Baltic is not as warm as GA in summer...EM

I’m also a power wheelchair user and I’ve cruised on all three Cunard ships.  Queen Victoria is my favorite - I’m booked on her for a 27 night Panama Canal cruise next January - and Queen Elizabeth this summer to Alaska.

Like everything, some cabins are more accessible than others.  Are you looking at certain cabins and have you checked availability?  I typically book as soon as the cruise becomes available.  

The dress code for the main and specialty dining rooms is pretty strict but there’s always the buffet.  

Hope that helps!

Thank you! We were very excited because our search of the Cunard site showed so many results for wheelchair accessible cabins. However, when I went to book one, it said "cabin not available" and this turned out to be true for all cabins I tried on several sailings. So, now I know if we want to try Cunard we will have to plan farther ahead.

We booked Celebrity Edge instead.

I appreciate the responses.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...