Anyone denied boarding for not having parental authorization?

lcantw3658

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 6:34 PM, lcantw3658 said:

Travelling in 2 weeks with friends. One of them is divorced and taking her 5 year old twins. I've told her she needs ex to give permission to take out of country but she does not want to attempt to get it from him. They are not on friendliest terms but they do share joint legal custody with 60/40 physical custody. 

Carnival website is actually pretty ambiguous and states that they "highly recommend" written notarized consent from other parent in order to avoid any customs issues. 

Do they absolutely need it or not? Will they be denied boarding without it? 

Very simple answer.  You did your duty by letting your friend know she should get it.  So that's it.  You will either enjoy the trip with her, or without her.   The divorce agreement is a legal document that needs to be followed.  What are the terms, and how is vacations written out?  60/40 might mean the trip falls under his time.  Everyone is worried about immigration issues.  This is a far deeper issue that needs to get resolved now with the parents because they have another 13 years to go.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:24 AM, Galatz said:

Relationship status is meaningless. Its US law to avoid kidnapping or one parent leaving the country without telling the other parent. Even if married couples travel separately you are required to get a notarized letter from your spouse.

A father traveling with his kids and new wife is a lot less likely to be questioned than a mother with a new name from the kids.

Cruise employees are usually not police officers and are not trying to figure out if you're breaking the law. 

How many are in your cabin?

Are you travelling with a passport or birth certificate?

Would you like to open an account with a credit card or cash today?

Where is so and so? (In the event they happen to notice not all of your cabin mates are checked in.

That's all they ask unless given reason to ask more. Anything else slows you down from getting from the terminal to the ship. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:42 PM, sailawaybellaluna said:

I would get the notarized paperwork for sure!

My experience is a bit different. I am NOT divorced, but I frequently cruise and fly internationally with my two children without their father/my husband (or he meets us at the destination). I also still have my maiden name, therefore different from our kids on passports.

I have been asked several times not only to prove I'm the mother, but also that I have permission to take our children internationally.

In terms of cruising, I had to provide the notarized letter in August in the port of Seattle, in June, 2016 in the port of Athens, Greece, and in November, 2013 in the port of Southampton, England. I've done lots of cruises in between times with no one asking for anything. But it's better to be safe than get denied. In these three instances I specifically asked the staff if I would have been denied boarding without the letter (plus birth certificates) and they said YES!

Is your name not on their birth certificate? Doesnt seem to challenging to me.

2 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

Cruise employees are usually not police officers and are not trying to figure out if you're breaking the law. 

How many are in your cabin?

Are you travelling with a passport or birth certificate?

Would you like to open an account with a credit card or cash today?

Where is so and so? (In the event they happen to notice not all of your cabin mates are checked in.

That's all they ask unless given reason to ask more. Anything else slows you down from getting from the terminal to the ship. 

Customs agents are law enforcement officials, and they are the ones that these letters are primarily for. Not the cruise line.

4 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

When do you meet the customs agents while getting on the ship??? 

Getting on the ship isn't the issue. The letter is for customs (DHS) when returning. Carnival recommends the letter, not for them, but for customs. I know it seems backwards. You'd think they'd want to catch someone kidnapping a child leaving the country, not coming back.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:09 PM, Organized Chaos said:

Getting on the ship isn't the issue. The letter is for customs (DHS) when returning. Carnival recommends the letter, not for them, but for customs. I know it seems backwards. You'd think they'd want to catch someone kidnapping a child leaving the country, not coming back.

The OP asked about bring denied boarding.