Is Roatan rum sold at port shops? Does fun n sun tour include a stop at the rum factory?

sillychicky

I'm torn between a private tour with Victor Bodden or going with the shared "fun n sun" tour. My must-do activities are simple. Hug a sloth, snorkel at west end beach, and buy some Roatan rum. I'm finding that many include sloths and the beach. Is the Roatan rum sold within the port area or do you have to go to the rum factory for that? Also, does the Victor Bodden fun and sun tour stop at the rum factory on the shared tour?

I've been to Roatan several times so I don't need sightseeing or any of that necessarily.  Is there a better sloth place to go for similar pricing for a tour? If so, through who?

SO many questions and our cruise is less than a month away. Thanks for your help!

I think the best way to get the local rum is to go to the Roatan Rum Company Store. You can do tastings and select from all their flavors.

I know it is sold in the locals  craft shop in Mahogany Bay and probably in Coxen Hole.

Victor's drivers should know where it is, just ask to make it a stop.

16 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I think the best way to get the local rum is to go to the Roatan Rum Company Store. You can do tastings and select from all their flavors.

I know it is sold in the locals  craft shop in Mahogany Bay and probably in Coxen Hole.

Victor's drivers should know where it is, just ask to make it a stop.

Will they make a stop on the group tour or would I have to book the private tour for that?

1 hour ago, sillychicky said:

Will they make a stop on the group tour or would I have to book the private tour for that?

Unless it is a listed stop on the group tour it would have to be a private tour, otherwise everyone would be customizing the group tour.

I think I'm going to book Rony's private tour since I can pay the bulk via Paypal and not have to have cash on hand when I get there. If I was 100% the rum was sold in port I'd just do a group tour but we really prefer private anyway. I knew you can't customize just wasn't sure if they do or don't stop at the rum factory on the usual group tour.

7 minutes ago, sillychicky said:

I think I'm going to book Rony's private tour since I can pay the bulk via Paypal and not have to have cash on hand when I get there. If I was 100% the rum was sold in port I'd just do a group tour but we really prefer private anyway. I knew you can't customize just wasn't sure if they do or don't stop at the rum factory on the usual group tour.

Have you emailed and asked specifically? He is generally quick to answer any questions.

We had a private tour through him and visited the rum factory.

Edited by c-leg5

Just now, c-leg5 said:

Have you emailed and asked specifically? He is generally quick to answer any questions.

Yes, I did. His email reply despite my question was generic and did not answer the question. Not sure if he didn't see the question part or what.

5 minutes ago, sillychicky said:

Yes, I did. His email reply despite my question was generic and did not answer the question. Not sure if he didn't see the question part or what.

If you have a private driver at least you can customize “on the hop”.

I had a list of places we wanted to go, which was just as well, because while our driver through Rony was safe and completed my plan, he rarely spoke and didn't give us much of a “tour”.

Others have had better luck but in the end the experience comes down to the driver you are allocated on the day.

11 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Unless it is a listed stop on the group tour it would have to be a private tour, otherwise everyone would be customizing the group tour.

But email Victor and ask. Might be others who want to stop as well.

6-8 people is usually the max.

On 1/19/2020 at 6:44 PM, c-leg5 said:

If you have a private driver at least you can customize “on the hop”.

I had a list of places we wanted to go, which was just as well, because while our driver through Rony was safe and completed my plan, he rarely spoke and didn't give us much of a “tour”.

Others have had better luck but in the end the experience comes down to the driver you are allocated on the day.

Ok, I booked Rony's private tour but specified what I wanted. I did read that they will "suggest" things very strongly but having been to Roatan a few times I know what I want. I think I'll email and suggest a guide by name who has really good reviews. I'm a talker though and speak some Spanish conversationally so maybe that will help...thanks for the tips!

26 minutes ago, sillychicky said:

Ok, I booked Rony's private tour but specified what I wanted. I did read that they will "suggest" things very strongly but having been to Roatan a few times I know what I want. I think I'll email and suggest a guide by name who has really good reviews. I'm a talker though and speak some Spanish conversationally so maybe that will help...thanks for the tips!

Sounds good - particularly requesting a named driver.

I didn’t have a problem being taken to places we didn’t want but I did want to take the taxi from West Bay to West End and had no idea where we were going to meet up when we got there.

I have limited Spanish but had difficulty with the dialect. 

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Sounds good - particularly requesting a named driver.

I didn’t have a problem being taken to places we didn’t want but I did want to take the taxi from West Bay to West End and had no idea where we were going to meet up when we got there.

I have limited Spanish but had difficulty with the dialect. 

Thanks again. I'll email them and ask about a couple different ones who were raved about in reviews. 🙂