Anyone stayed at La Quinta in Hollywood?

mitsugirly

I just booked a room at La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham in FLL. I've tried searching on here and not having any luck with this particular location.

It says the address is 2620 North 26th Avenue, Hollywood, FL

I'm trying to find out if there's anything within walking distance from the hotel to eat dinner at that night when we arrive. I noticed reviews on La Quinta that stated places to eat, but when you look at a map, it looks like the hotel is by the water and you'd have to cross a bridge to get over to the food section. I'm just wanting to make sure it's safe to do so.

Anyone?

I've stayed there pre-cruise three times and will be staying there again this spring. 

I have only driven to restaurants close by so I can't comment on ease of walking to any, but there are none "right next door." You do have to walk over a bridge. Red Lobster and Sweet Tomatoes I believe are the closest.  (According to Google Maps, it is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to Sweet Tomatoes.)

Edited by KroozFoolz

12 hours ago, BNBR said:

It's right next to Oakwood Plaza.  Ale House is my suggestion.

5 hours ago, KroozFoolz said:

I've stayed there pre-cruise three times and will be staying there again this spring. 

I have only driven to restaurants close by so I can't comment on ease of walking to any, but there are none "right next door." You do have to walk over a bridge. Red Lobster and Sweet Tomatoes I believe are the closest.  (According to Google Maps, it is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to Sweet Tomatoes.)

Thank you both very much. I appreciate it.

KroozFoolz, you must like it there if you've stayed 3x and staying again. That makes me feel better. I just couldn't find anyone on here mentioning this particular place and it had me a little worried. Do you feel it's in a safe area? (Since we will be walking and have a child)

So.... I used to live right near there.  I would say it's perfectly fine during the day, and borderline sketchy at night, but only right next to the hotel towards Sheridan Street.  The plaza itself is fine.  Right behind the hotel is not a great area.  Don't stay out too late, you'll be fine.

The gas station across the street, the Cumberland, used to get armed robbery damn near weekly.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

Edited by BNBR

15 minutes ago, BNBR said:

So.... I used to live right near there.  I would say it's perfectly fine during the day, and borderline sketchy at night, but only right next to the hotel towards Sheridan Street.  The plaza itself is fine.  Right behind the hotel is not a great area.  Don't stay out too late, you'll be fine.

The gas station across the street, the Cumberland, used to get armed robbery damn near weekly.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

I'm trying to figure out where this Sheridan Street is. I can't locate it in the area on a map. The hotel looks like there's a lake on one side and the street on the other side that leads to it. I see the bridge up and over to the Plaza. Right next door is a park and on the other side is an apartment building.

Where is this Sheridan Street and where are you referring to "right behind the hotel"? There's water back there. ?

I also don't see any gas station across the street. There's a canal there as well.

I'm so confused.

I definitely want to hear the truth and take precautions. I'm just trying to figure out where you are referring to.

17 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I'm trying to figure out where this Sheridan Street is. I can't locate it in the area on a map. The hotel looks like there's a lake on one side and the street on the other side that leads to it. I see the bridge up and over to the Plaza. Right next door is a park and on the other side is an apartment building.

Where is this Sheridan Street and where are you referring to "right behind the hotel"? There's water back there. ?

I also don't see any gas station across the street. There's a canal there as well.

I'm so confused.

I definitely want to hear the truth and take precautions. I'm just trying to figure out where you are referring to.

Yes, the hotel is on the water.  Other side of that water is basically a ghetto.  Sheridan is the main road just south of the hotel.  Cumberland is at that intersection, next to the coin laundry.  It's a gas station.  There is a little wall on the backside of it.  Thugs would hop the wall, rob the place, then right back over the wall.  Used to go there all the time late at night after my shifts... I had an ice cream obsession and they had good deals on it, lol.

If you just walk over the bridge to Oakwood, you really should be fine.  I'm just saying, it's not an excellent neighborhood and the bad element knows how to walk around the lake...  The aoartments right next to the hotel, Oakwood Manor, ghetto as hell....

I hate to be negative, but if you asked me if I'd be comfortable with my wife and kids walking around there in the dark, my answer would be "no".

Edited by BNBR

I defer to BNBR's knowledge of the area.

I haven't had a problem but we arrived during the afternoon, had an early dinner (Millers once, Sweet Tomatoes the second stay), and didn't leave the hotel after dark - my usual MO for any unfamiliar area.

The third time we flew into FLL pretty late in the evening and took the shuttle to the hotel. 

I think the hotel might shuttle you to one of the nearby restaurants, and then come back to get you. You might call the hotel and check to see if they still do that. 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Yes, the hotel is on the water.  Other side of that water is basically a ghetto.  Sheridan is the main road just south of the hotel.  Cumberland is at that intersection, next to the coin laundry.  It's a gas station.  There is a little wall on the backside of it.  Thugs would hop the wall, rob the place, then right back over the wall.  Used to go there all the time late at night after my shifts... I had an ice cream obsession and they had good deals on it, lol.

If you just walk over the bridge to Oakwood, you really should be fine.  I'm just saying, it's not an excellent neighborhood and the bad element knows how to walk around the lake...  The aoartments right next to the hotel, Oakwood Manor, ghetto as hell....

I hate to be negative, but if you asked me if I'd be comfortable with my wife and kids walking around there in the dark, my answer would be "no".

Ok, I see the area you are talking about. I'm trying to make sure I avoid that area and only going to Oakland Blvd and back. We get in at 4:15pm. Take time to gather luggage, go outside, call for the transport to the hotel. Online it says sunset is at 7:42pm the day we arrive. So hopefully we'll have time to get to the hotel, put the luggage in the room and go get something to eat right away and be back before dark or shortly after.

As with anyplace, I never carry money on me, be very aware of the surroundings, and usually try not to go anywhere after dark. Sometimes it can't be avoided if you're coming in late.

If there's a chance that it wouldn't be safe to walk, I would just eat somewhere within the airport prior to leaving and not worry about it. That's what I'm trying to figure out which to do.

I really appreciate your help and knowledge.

11 minutes ago, KroozFoolz said:

I defer to BNBR's knowledge of the area.

I haven't had a problem but we arrived during the afternoon, had an early dinner (Millers once, Sweet Tomatoes the second stay), and didn't leave the hotel after dark - my usual MO for any unfamiliar area.

The third time we flew into FLL pretty late in the evening and took the shuttle to the hotel. 

I think the hotel might shuttle you to one of the nearby restaurants, and then come back to get you. You might call the hotel and check to see if they still do that. 

I will ask the hotel about the shuttle to go to the Plaza or get food and see what they say. Thanks.

I do have a question you might or might not know. I have recently (over our last few stays in FLL) that they are closing the pools at dusk. Does this hold true for this place too?

BNBR can you elaborate on this closed pool thing at dusk in FLL?

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20140413/is-night-swimming-illegal

"As a general rule, most communal pools and spas in Florida, including those at hotels, motels and residential communities, are considered “public pools” and are governed by Chapter 514, Florida Statutes and Chapter 64E-9, Florida Administrative Code (FAC), except to the extent that a specific exemption applies.

Applicable law prohibits “night swimming” unless the lighting requirements of Section 64E-9.006(2)(c), FAC are met. A community that does not meet those requirements must ban pool or spa use from a half-hour before sunset until a half-hour after sunrise. This ban must be posted as part of the pool rules and regulations."

I googled the question and found this information on several websites.

I've booked this hotel for our Oct 3rd cruise out of POM. I see that there is also a TGI Fridays and Red Lobster close to the hotel. Does the hotel offer shuttle service to these restaurants? It looks like a little bit of a walk and we both have artificial knees, making long walks a little difficult. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THX

• 4 weeks later...

@BNBR  Just one more question...you mentioned that going toward the other way is ghetto and previous problems...do you think it would be ok to walk there during the day? There will be 5 of us. We will need to walk to the gas station to pick up pop prior to the cruise so it will be in the morning, probably around 10am. Will we be ok?

8 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

@BNBR  Just one more question...you mentioned that going toward the other way is ghetto and previous problems...do you think it would be ok to walk there during the day? There will be 5 of us. We will need to walk to the gas station to pick up pop prior to the cruise so it will be in the morning, probably around 10am. Will we be ok?

During the day, totally fine and perfectly safe 

On 1/26/2020 at 1:53 PM, jordanaire said:

I've booked this hotel for our Oct 3rd cruise out of POM. I see that there is also a TGI Fridays and Red Lobster close to the hotel. Does the hotel offer shuttle service to these restaurants? It looks like a little bit of a walk and we both have artificial knees, making long walks a little difficult. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THX

The hotel does offer free shuttle service to local restaurants/businesses; we've stayed at the hotel and have used their shuttle several times over the years!

My wife and I stayed there for the 2nd time last month. The place is very nice including the beds. There are several restaurants in walking distance. Red Lobster, TGI Friday's and an Italian restaurant. All 3 of these are close to each other and about a 5 minute walk. Just walk to the bridge and turn right and its a short walk. There are also two Mini Marts not to far. Instead of turning left to go back to the hotel turn right. There's a Dunkin Donut in one Mini Mart and the other is across a very busy street. A fair amount of homeless people in the area. Many sleep in the small park and others in the brushy area near the bridge. We felt safe the entire time including at dusk walking back. Late at night I don't know how safe that would be. Only $10. per person for a shuttle ride to the cruise port. Sign up when you arrive. 

2 hours ago, llamasocks said:

The hotel does offer free shuttle service to local restaurants/businesses; we've stayed at the hotel and have used their shuttle several times over the years!

Good to know. Do you just request them to take you over to that area when needed? Or do you sign up for times?

53 minutes ago, Bob and Linda said:

My wife and I stayed there for the 2nd time last month. The place is very nice including the beds. There are several restaurants in walking distance. Red Lobster, TGI Friday's and an Italian restaurant. All 3 of these are close to each other and about a 5 minute walk. Just walk to the bridge and turn right and its a short walk. There are also two Mini Marts not to far. Instead of turning left to go back to the hotel turn right. There's a Dunkin Donut in one Mini Mart and the other is across a very busy street. A fair amount of homeless people in the area. Many sleep in the small park and others in the brushy area near the bridge. We felt safe the entire time including at dusk walking back. Late at night I don't know how safe that would be. Only $10. per person for a shuttle ride to the cruise port. Sign up when you arrive. 

Thanks for your feedback and glad that you like the place. I feel pretty good about booking it and I'm sure we won't have any issues. 

1 hour ago, Bob and Linda said:

Such an excellent post and exactly how I'm trying to describe the area.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:41 PM, mitsugirly said:

I just booked a room at La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham in FLL. I've tried searching on here and not having any luck with this particular location.

It says the address is 2620 North 26th Avenue, Hollywood, FL

I'm trying to find out if there's anything within walking distance from the hotel to eat dinner at that night when we arrive. I noticed reviews on La Quinta that stated places to eat, but when you look at a map, it looks like the hotel is by the water and you'd have to cross a bridge to get over to the food section. I'm just wanting to make sure it's safe to do so.

Anyone?

I don't have any input on your question.  Just wanted to say hi and see how your leg is doing?  I hope you're better now!