Small Kids on Royal Princess

ltlqtgrl

I just booked a cruise on the Royal Princess with my 4 and 6 year olds for their first cruise (just the kids and me).  I've been on several cruises, but having kids with me changes things.... Does anyone have information on the kids program for their age?  Kids menus? Any other tips/suggestions?  Thank you!!

My kids were 6 and 8 when we were on the Royal Princess this summer. They absolutely loved the kids club. In Alaska kids club was from 9-12, 2-5 and 7-10. At home, we start bedtime 7/7:30 but they stayed in kids club late every night. On formal nights they do a buffet dinner at 7 with the kids club, or take them at 8. My 6 year old did a ton of crafts, so keep space in your lugggage. Pre-register for kids club in your personalizer and go to the open house first day. 

Dinner normally took 1 1/2 hours in the main dining room, so bring some small activities for them between courses. (They usually got a coloring sheet). Kids can order from kid or adult menu. They always brought the kids food at first. 

Months later they are still asking to go on another cruise. 

• Like 1

Another thing is what type of stateroom did you book? With kids that young, I would suggest a deluxe balcony, mini suite or two connecting staterooms (inside, balcony, etc). The suggested age for an upper bunk is 8. This is a regular balcony (triple occupancy) on the Royal. The head and foot are wide open. It would be very easy for a kid to fall out. My 8 year old barely moves in her sleep but my 6 year old moves too much. If all 4 of us are in one room, I have to go on an upper. We use inflatable bed rails (The Shrunks Inflatable Kids Bed Rails for Toddlers Portable Safety Guard Side Bumpers {2 Pack} for Children and Adult Beds Great Home or Travel. Have Your Child Sleep Safe and Comfortable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0YTT72/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GaBlEbSVQXYAK) for hotel/cruise beds. 

E046D8EB-20F4-4900-A04A-FEFDA9583E38.jpeg

We had our grandchildren on board - parents and kids in balcony cabin, hubby and me inside.  The girls loved the cruise.  The 6 year old is very shy, but she and her sister (4) went to the kids camp everyday.  Make sure that you sign them up online before you go.  You sign in who is allowed to drop them off and pick them.  Most of the time, mommy dropped them off, but hubby and I did get them and we were on the list.

MDR is great with the kids for dinner, 6 year old loved their alphabet soup and the french fries.  and the staff is very attentive to the kids.

The bunk beds in the balcony were very tight when both came down at night.  The steward suggested that the adults sleep in the bunks and the girls sleep in the twin, but mommy/daddy did not and the girls were fine sleeping up in the bunks.

On our next cruise with Carnival we are putting one girl in one room and one girl with us.

This past cruise was on Royal

1 hour ago, thegoaliegirl said:

Another thing is what type of stateroom did you book? With kids that young, I would suggest a deluxe balcony, mini suite or two connecting staterooms (inside, balcony, etc). The suggested age for an upper bunk is 8. This is a regular balcony (triple occupancy) on the Royal. The head and foot are wide open. It would be very easy for a kid to fall out. My 8 year old barely moves in her sleep but my 6 year old moves too much. If all 4 of us are in one room, I have to go on an upper. We use inflatable bed rails (The Shrunks Inflatable Kids Bed Rails for Toddlers Portable Safety Guard Side Bumpers {2 Pack} for Children and Adult Beds Great Home or Travel. Have Your Child Sleep Safe and Comfortable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0YTT72/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GaBlEbSVQXYAK) for hotel/cruise beds. 

E046D8EB-20F4-4900-A04A-FEFDA9583E38.jpeg

Thanks so much!!  For now I'm keeping the cruise a surprise from them, but think they will love the kids club... they love crafts and projects at school so thank you for the advice to have some space 😊.

We will be in a deluxe obstructed balcony so that I wouldn't have to deal with upper bunks, but the inflatable rails are still a great idea and something I was going to look into.

Thank you!!

2 minutes ago, ltlqtgrl said:

Thanks so much!!  For now I'm keeping the cruise a surprise from them, but think they will love the kids club... they love crafts and projects at school so thank you for the advice to have some space 😊.

We will be in a deluxe obstructed balcony so that I wouldn't have to deal with upper bunks, but the inflatable rails are still a great idea and something I was going to look into.

Thank you!!

That should be perfect! The inflatable bed rails are a life saver. They don't take up much space non-inflated and don't take too much work to pump up. I would inflate them at the beginning of the cruise and then right before bed (after turn down service) I would add the bed rail under the fitted sheet and then take it out and put it under the twin bed in the morning. Super easy.

We have another cruise booked, which is a surprise for the kids. It is so fun to do a surprise cruise for kids. I think you will have so much fun!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 8:31 AM, roxievegas said:

We had our grandchildren on board - parents and kids in balcony cabin, hubby and me inside.  The girls loved the cruise.  The 6 year old is very shy, but she and her sister (4) went to the kids camp everyday.  Make sure that you sign them up online before you go.  You sign in who is allowed to drop them off and pick them.  Most of the time, mommy dropped them off, but hubby and I did get them and we were on the list.

MDR is great with the kids for dinner, 6 year old loved their alphabet soup and the french fries.  and the staff is very attentive to the kids.

The bunk beds in the balcony were very tight when both came down at night.  The steward suggested that the adults sleep in the bunks and the girls sleep in the twin, but mommy/daddy did not and the girls were fine sleeping up in the bunks.

On our next cruise with Carnival we are putting one girl in one room and one girl with us.

This past cruise was on Royal

Thank you!  I think they will enjoy the kids camp, they aren't shy and it's spring break so hopefully there will be other kids.  Also, glad to hear the MDR is good with kids... I'm a bit worried about trying to go to the buffet with them by myself since the youngest still needs help carrying things and I wouldn't want to leave them alone somewhere while I grabbed the food...

Edited by ltlqtgrl

4 hours ago, ltlqtgrl said:

Thank you!  I think they will enjoy the kids camp, they aren't shy and it's spring break so hopefully there will be other kids.  Also, glad to hear the MDR is good with kids... I'm a bit worried about trying to go to the buffet with them by myself since the youngest still needs help carrying things and I wouldn't want to leave them alone somewhere while I grabbed the food...

Princess staff is very attentive, and will help you in the buffet.  

On 1/26/2020 at 1:10 AM, ltlqtgrl said:

I just booked a cruise on the Royal Princess with my 4 and 6 year olds for their first cruise (just the kids and me).  I've been on several cruises, but having kids with me changes things.... Does anyone have information on the kids program for their age?  Kids menus? Any other tips/suggestions?  Thank you!!

We had our three grandchildren in a mini suite on the Regal Princess a few years ago. They were five, four and two and a half.

24402925028_00dfd6e780_b.jpgTheir Cabin [/url [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153608073@N05/]

They loved the kids club and the food.

Howard