Pope in Rome

DKNE

The day that we are in Rome, the Pope is giving his address to the crowds. What are the chances of seeing the Pope, or is it next to nil?  We are in port from 7am to 6pm.  I did get a quote from one tour company and asked if it was possible to see the Pope and their reply was 'no time to see the Pope'. 

Knowing this day will be super busy, along with the port having 5 ships in port (totaling 10, 452 passengers), what suggestions do you have as must see's in Rome, with it being a insane busy day. Tks 🙂

There are days when the number of cruise passengers is twice that in Civitavecchia, and Rome is a city of many tourists who don't arrive via ship as well. It's always somewhat crazy at the main tourist sites....

That said, if seeing the Pope is what is most important to you, you can arrange for transportation (rather than a tour) and you would also need to request tickets in advance and be in Rome early enough to pick them up in order to get into the Piazza to see the Pope. More info is available here:  https://www.romewise.com/papal-audience-tickets.html

Of course, just realize that if you choose to do this, it will likely need to be the major focus of your day. (In other words, don't expect to also have time to do a Colosseum Tour, a visit to the Sistine chapel and a stop at the Pantheon.)

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Of course, just realize that if you choose to do this, it will likely need to be the major focus of your day. (In other words, don't expect to also have time to do a Colosseum Tour, a visit to the Sistine chapel and a stop at the Pantheon.)

👆 Yes,  if seeing the Pope is your major "must do" there will be very little time to do/see much else. JMHO, but a Papal visit/mass is best left for a longer visit to Rome - would give you a reason to return to this fabulous city.

Edited by dogs4fun

8 hours ago, DKNE said:

we actually ended up booking a tour from the port to Rome. A 9 hour full day of sightseeing 🙂 The only thing we are not seeing is the Sistine chapel. 

Happy to hear that you will be able to attend the Papal address (I assume that this is what you mean when you state "the only thing we are not seeing is the Sistine chapel"). Hopefully, you will visit Rome again during a longer stay & can visit the Vatican Museums (including the Sistine) - the museum is world class. Rome offers so much to see and do that is simply boggles the mind. Each time I visit I find that there are new sites to visit - I simply love Rome (due to love and/or interest in classical history/art/architecture, interest in Renaissance art and, of course, the Catholic faith).

Edited by dogs4fun

• 2 weeks later...

So I think you have  lot of time to do stuff.

I got a private transfer to the Trevi Fountain, took pics and threw in a coin backwards, then cab to Vatican Square, saw the address, got a selfie when the Pope-mobile drove by, then direct walk through Vatican Museum, followed behind a tour group and got into the Sistine chapel, then quick pics inside St. Peters.

Then walked to the train.  Had pasta at tourist trap, and made it back to the ship by 5.

• Haha 1