Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

25 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I'm booked on the Jade's sailing of the 27th, but I'm flying to Singapore by way of Munich a week earlier on the 21st.  And I have two separate one-way frequent flyer tickets (MIA-SIN, DXB-MIA). So if I get to Singapore and then NCL cancels the cruise,  I'll most likely get stock having to purchase a very expensive one-way ticket home.

Singapore is nice this time of year, enjoy!!!!

44 minutes ago, blcruising said:

So, are these delayed results from the original 300 that were tested or have they tested more passengers? 40 positive results out of how many samples?

Trying to understand if they may have been infected prior to the quarantine or if the quarantine is ineffective. 

Not sure.  Media here reporting another 40 positive, taking passenger total to 174.  Also saying that those still on board may have to extend quarantine period.

Edited by walkenmishoos

51 minutes ago, walkenmishoos said:

Another 40 people on Diamond Princess confirmed with the virus, one being a quarantine offical 

A quarantine official?! We aren't being told the full story. I'm sorry. Those guys avoid plagues like the plague. That's their job. Either the version of the virus on that ship is incredibly infectious, or they have a super carrier on board, and he is running around the ship and spreading it somehow - that probably means a crew member who doesn't know he even has it. A cook, maybe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

A quarantine official?! We aren't being told the full story. I'm sorry. Those guys avoid plagues like the plague. That's their job. Either the version of the virus on that ship is incredibly infectious, or they have a super carrier on board, and he is running around the ship and spreading it somehow - that probably means a crew member who doesn't know he even has it. A cook, maybe.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-12/coronavirus-infects-dozens-more-on-diamond-princess-cruise/11957438

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, walkenmishoos said:

@Walk, Thanks for the article. Did you read about that British guy who caught it in Singapore and then flew home and shared it around all over the place?  A 'super carrier' they call him. Yikes...

51 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Depending on how strong the ventilation system is in the ship it could well be the air conditioner. Which means even 1 sick person could infect hundreds.

1 hour ago, walkenmishoos said:

Not sure.  Media here reporting another 40 positive, taking passenger total to 174.  Also saying that those still on board may have to extend quarantine period.

That ship is a floating petri dish!  They need to get those passengers off before everybody gets it.

Sadly, four of those people are in intensive care and they are on respirators.  

NCL says that safety is their number one priority.  Is it going to take the death of a cruise passenger before they start doing what they say?

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, kellybird said:

Depending on how strong the ventilation system is in the ship it could well be the air conditioner. Which means even 1 sick person could infect hundreds.

That's 'Airborne'. That means schools and daycare centers, trains, restaurants, museums, theaters, and shopping malls. Possibly even places like Times Square and Piccadilly Circus. That would be a major escalation of events. I wonder if they are even testing for that.

Come on Norwegian -- please!  Many of us have spent many thousands of dollars for an enjoyable cruise (2/27 for me), and you have had those dollars for many months.  I also put down a LOT of frequent flyer miles and cash for comfortable flights to and from the cruise, and hotel reservations.  You have told us that we will lose everything if WE cancel.  Come on, the writing on the wall is getting clearer -- it is not safe for most people (I am - ahem - over 65) to risk this virus.  Please, won't YOU cancel these cruises, and let us all get on with our lives?  Many of us stand to lose a lot, just on airfare to and from the cruise.

Most other carriers have cancelled their cruises -- RCI, Celebrity, Cunard, Princess, etc.  I hope you are having daily executive meetings, and will  make the right business decision, SOON!  There are people on my cruise that you have done this to before, cancelling a cruisewith 48 hours notice.  Don't do that again, please.  Please give us notice NOW, so we can make other plans, and cancel what we can cancel. People are watching.  Your reputation is definitely at stake.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

We are also not being told the full story about what, specifically, NCL sees as the growing concerns about the Coronavirus is Asia that caused sailings of the Spirit to be canceled in April that do not impact the sailings of the Jade now.  No answers, no help, no respect for our concerns.  The executives would like us all to go away quietly and to stop bothering them which is why we need to email and call all of the contacts listed in this thread and spread the word to local news outlets and on social media.  Otherwise they will get away with it and do it again and again all the while cashing in their stock options and bonuses.

1 hour ago, seafun said:

Come on Norwegian -- please!  Many of us have spent many thousands of dollars for an enjoyable cruise (2/27 for me), and you have had those dollars for many months...

FYI, there is currently a fire sale on the 2/27 Jade cruise.  Yesterday it was $598 pp and now it is $545 pp.  These actions demonstrate NCL intends to sail as planned and to maximize profits.  They did the same thing with the 2/6 cruise, are doing the same with my (17th) cruise, will do it on your cruise because they are all about profit - their number one priority.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fartlek said:

My guess is NCL will follow suit and cancel the cruise shortly.  

For what reason(s) do you think they will cancel?  They have lowered prices on the 2/27 sailing by 10% since yesterday.  That to me indicates they intend to sail as planned.

• Like 1

I wrote this letter yesterday to NCL but no response yet!!
Hello,
I just read the news today about NCL canceling Norwegian Spirit's upcoming cruises from April to December to all Asian Ports because of concerns about the Coronavirus sighting the safety of your crew and passengers is what is considered most important.  So what about the Norwegian Jade that is still in Asia.  It left the Hong Kong port eleven days ago and now it is heading to Singapore.  My wife and I are scheduled to be on the Jade on the 17th .  Could we cancel and get our full refund or can you cancel the entire cruise?  If there is concern about the safety on the Spirit , then why not the Jade?  Why put 2500 more passengers in harms way in the epicenter of this crisis?  Will the Jade end up having to deal with the same issues as the Diamond Princess?  Why is NCL gambling with this situation?  
I will save this communication and post it on social media showing that I raised this issue one week before this upcoming cruise.  Please don't put your loyal customers in a situation that in all likelihood may turn into another Diamond Princess?

Please pass on this communication to your corporate offices and hopefully we all can avoid a potential crisis.

Thank You
A long time Norwegian Cruise Line loyal customer.
  • Thanks 1

This is my latest contribution to eTurbonews:

Bonjour,

I am happy to provide more information on our situation, and the situation of dozens of NCL customers who have been discussing the current coronavirus epidemic and how it impacts their plans for a cruise.

There are currently four cruise ships that are either in quarantine or unable to deal with port closures. The doubling of new coronavirus cases on board the Diamond Princess quarantined in Yokohama illustrates the very real danger that this epidemic poses to cruise passengers. Whether the transmission of the virus is confined to personal contact, or if there is a more insidious means of transmission through the air circulation system of the ship remains to be determined.

It is unreasonable of those responsible for NCL's refusal to refund passengers who refuse to put themselves in this precarious and dangerous situation to expect those passengers to board a future cruise as if it was just business as usual. We booked a balcony room on the Norwegian Jade sailing on 17 February at the end of December, just before the news broke, and have been trying to get NCL to agree to refund our $3,293.30 reservation ever since. Both my wife and I have mild but chronic respiratory issues, and we can't risk coming into contact with the coronavirus, or being quarantined for an undetermined amount of time while the danger of infection mounts, as it has on the Diamond Princess.

The measures that NCL has put into place, with temperature-based screening and barring Chinese nationals from boarding are woefully insufficient to face the current health crisis. The change in itinerary from a Hong Kong departure to Singapore is not reassuring in the slightest, given that Singapore has also proven to suffer from local transmission cases. Dozens of passengers on the same NCL cruise and the following one have been exchanging information on the Cruisecritic forums, desperately trying to get a reasonable response from NCL. I have sent emails to six different NCL representatives, and get the same disappointing reply each time, when they deign to reply at all. NCL has offered a 10% refund to passengers, as well as a 25% credit towards a future cruise, but we all view this pitiful offer as no better than treating a heart attack with a bandaid. NCL needs to wake up to the gravity of the situation and realize that no one in their right mind will voluntarily place themselves in harm's way for the dubious pleasure of "enjoying" a cruise during the current crisis. NCL simply directs passengers to talk with their travel agency, and use their cruise cancellation insurance, without regard to their very real responsibility to protect the health and well-being of their passengers.

My wife and I have had generally positive experiences with NCL in the past. We are Silver Lattitude members, which is the cruise equivalent of a frequent flier program, and assuming that NCL wises up in the next couple of days, would be happy to travel with NCL in the future. But many people on the Cruisecritic forum are enraged by NCL's unhelpful and irresponsible attitude and declare that they will never cruise with NCL again. I'm sad to say that if we have to kiss our over three thousand dollar payment goodbye, that will be our decision as well.

Regardless of NCL's decision, we will not be travelling on the Norwegian Jade cruise of 17 February, and have already managed to cancel our airfare with Finnair (though we are still waiting for confirmation of reimbursement). NCL must change their irresponsible position on refunds, and show that they really do care about the health and enjoyment of their passengers, rather than treating them with disdain and arrogance as they now are.

Sincerely,

Philip Benz, an NCL Silver Lattitudes member from France

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Atgatsea said:

FYI, there is currently a fire sale on the 2/27 Jade cruise.  Yesterday it was $598 pp and now it is $545 pp.  These actions demonstrate NCL intends to sail as planned and to maximize profits.  They did the same thing with the 2/6 cruise, are doing the same with my (17th) cruise, will do it on your cruise because they are all about profit - their number one priority.  

Check out the prices on the 22 day cruise to Dubai and then 20 days Dubai to Rome.  One could get an inside for $1,030 pp plus taxes and port fees for 42 days Singapore to Dubai and then to Rome.  Jade anxious to get out of eastern Asia.

Thank you to everyone who is going out of their way to let NCL know their displeasure.  It is refreshing to see some people still have principles and believe in calling out unjust actions.  It is nice to see people believing - and following thorough - in what is right, even if NCL has none of these kinds of people working for them.  Thanks, again, to you all!

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:01 PM, Masekr11 said:

My husband and I are on the Jade leaving Hong Kong on 2/17 and are having the same problem. They won’t let us change the cruise (we didn’t ask for a refund, just a credit). We were able to cancel our non-refundable hotel room and airline. It’s just NCL that is being unreasonable.  Although I’m not that worried about catching the virus, I am worried about everything else that comes along with it. Almost every attraction in HK is closed, there are threats of medical strikes, flights are being canceled or changed, and the other ports (Vietnam, Thailand, etc.) are having issues too. It wouldn’t be worth going even if I knew I wouldn’t catch the virus. 

I understand I signed a contract when booking my cruise; however, companies can do the responsible thing and allow changes/credits just like my airline and hotel did on non-refundable rates. Best of luck Capeviewer. If I hear from NCL, I’ll certainly let you know!

I have a friend doing this cruise at the moment.  They are having a fantastic time.  Photos looks great.

8 minutes ago, Longislandtea said:

I have a friend doing this cruise at the moment.  They are having a fantastic time.  Photos looks great.

That is awesome. I am glad they are safe. I imagine the ship is not overly crowded either. Absent the Coronavirus matter, I have heard great things about this itinerary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longislandtea said:

Good for your “friend” - having a good time when 110 individuals were evacuated for having been in a hot zone, sailing in an area where the cruise line itself refuses to sail in the future and has canceled cruises due to “growing concerns about the Coronavirus in Asia” yet continue to sail currently despite the risks, supporting a company that puts profits over the health and safety of its crew and guests while ignoring valid concerns from its guests about possibly having infected persons on board due to NCL’s health screenings not being able to catch everyone who has the virus.  Glad to hear your “friend” is able to put all that aside and have a good time.  What is the point of posting this message?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

That's 'Airborne'. That means schools and daycare centers, trains, restaurants, museums, theaters, and shopping malls. Possibly even places like Times Square and Piccadilly Circus. That would be a major escalation of events. I wonder if they are even testing for that.

Yesterday on the news here in Chicago. They were talking about 2 people living in the same apartment building but on different floors, neither knew the other who both got the virus.  They then found a broken ventilation pipe, the building uses the same ventilation system for the whole building, (not sure what country this was) and now believe the virus could be airborne.  They did say they were now going under this assumption and searching for more cases where this may have happened and taking precaution for same.  Maybe that IS why so many on this ship are ill. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, Masekr11 said:

I understand I signed a contract when booking my cruise; however, companies can do the responsible thing and allow changes/credits just like my airline and hotel did on non-refundable rates. 

Interesting. There are always two parties to a contract. However, it always seems to fall to the other party to "do the right thing".

If this is how the passenger views it, then shouldn't the cruise line take the position of: "We understand that we signed a contract when this guest booked their cruise, however, the guest should do the responsible thing and purchase adequate travel insurance to protect themselves from any potential loss from unforeseen circumstances".

People who bothered to adequately insure themselves are going to be reimbursed. They are not going to be here...or on any other online forum...complaining and attempting a public shaming in pursuit of compensation. They will be happy.

The people making the most noise are the uninsured. Why are they uninsured? Did they not want to be protected? Did they not want to spend money on insurance? Did they not feel that they were at risk? No matter the reason/excuse...ALL of the noise is from people who are not only uninsured, but who feel that their decision to not be insured means that someone else should dig into their pocket to make them whole again.

Why do we insist that others should be financially responsible for our decisions?

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Interesting. There are always two parties to a contract. However, it always seems to fall to the other party to "do the right thing...

One of the points for this forum is to help us get answers from NCL because they are refusing to answer basic questions and give us reasonable assurance our health and safety will not be jeopardized by sailing.  This is not a discussion about insurance.  Your digressing from the topic at hand adds nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ppcox said:

Interesting read. The conclusion is an interesting one....

"it appears there should be legislation introduced to require cruise companies to provide insurance to protect the consumer from epidemics and other natural disasters."