Sugar Free (diabetic menu/desserts)

TXRed

Does Princess have either sugar free desserts available or a diabetic menu? I am going to bring sugar free bread (Nature's Own Sugar Free 100% Whole Grain Bread) My husband was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic and we are trying to research prepared foods that are good for him.  Thanks

At least one sugar free dessert is available every night in the dining room and typically there's 2-4 different kinds in the buffet for lunch/dinner. I think the international cafe may have some too.

Personally I think the sugar free desserts taste even better than the regular ones! 

Edited by Felix331
  • Like 2

My husband is type 2. Was a shock when diagnosed five years ago. No one in family and not carrying any excessive weight.

When you see ' sugar free' don't be too tempted! Consider portion control!

On Majestic Princess in Australia , in March, last year the 'sugar free' portions were huge. Much smaller and manageable on Caribbean Princess in Caribbean in July..although it is easy to think you can have two. There are 'sugar free' options available in International Cafe, staff will produce Mayo / salad cream mad sauce free sandwiches or rolls, on request.

Two schools of thought..one Buffet is better because you can choose exactly what you want and stick to portion size you want..but it is easier to fill your plate more than once. Other is that MDR  is better as portion control is easier and if you do traditional dining, your waiter will get to know your dietary needs. Sugar free ice cream is available in MDR and speciality restaurants.

We have been told by dietician to avoid paying more for sugar free options, just to have smaller amounts of 'normal' foods. It's all trial and error till you find what suits your body!

Take the stairs instead of elevators and walk several times around the deck ( not all ships have Promenade deck) , stick to sugar free drinks and you should be able to keep everything. Under control!

Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

Just remember - sugar free does not mean carb free.  With my husband’s Type 2, we have learned a lot about carb control from a dietician who has Diabetes herself.  I agree that portion control is important whether sugar free or not!  I am glad you are taking the pre-diabetic diagnosis seriously.  Good luck! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TXRed said:

Does Princess have either sugar free desserts available or a diabetic menu? I am going to bring sugar free bread (Nature's Own Sugar Free 100% Whole Grain Bread) My husband was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic and we are trying to research prepared foods that are good for him.  Thanks

With any health related concerns/requests/requirements etc you should enter them in the personalizer/booking in the dietary section.

Also make contact with the HW of your dining room to coordinate any required foods/diet/suggestions etc.

• Like 1

Carb ( ie, sugar as far as our bodies are concerned) and salt control are key factors for Diabetics. Desserts may be called sugar free, but if the pie includes a pastry crust or cheese plate has crackers, then you are increasing Carb intake. 

In the dining room, your husband may request low sodium meals. If he wants to reduce his carb intake, then order 2 servings of veggies and omit the potatoes or rice and then enjoy a dessert with some carbs. It's all a matter of balancing the total carb intake.    

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, 1Gizmo said:

They do have sugar free desserts, I have never seen a diabetic menu. I'm type II and just watch what I eat.  Read the diabetic cook books will tell you what to stay away from.

thanks....we are getting a pretty good handle of carb control...but he loves his desserts

On 2/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, 1Gizmo said:

They do have sugar free desserts, I have never seen a diabetic menu. I'm type II and just watch what I eat.  Read the diabetic cook books will tell you what to stay away from.

Thanks, he wil be delighted and hopefully not tempted with the other desserts.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:16 PM, Felix331 said:

At least one sugar free dessert is available every night in the dining room and typically there's 2-4 different kinds in the buffet for lunch/dinner. I think the international cafe may have some too.

Personally I think the sugar free desserts taste even better than the regular ones! 

Thanks so much...I had not even thought about the IC desserts

On 2/6/2020 at 2:52 PM, Reina del Mar said:

My husband is type 2. Was a shock when diagnosed five years ago. No one in family and not carrying any excessive weight.

When you see ' sugar free' don't be too tempted! Consider portion control!

On Majestic Princess in Australia , in March, last year the 'sugar free' portions were huge. Much smaller and manageable on Caribbean Princess in Caribbean in July..although it is easy to think you can have two. There are 'sugar free' options available in International Cafe, staff will produce Mayo / salad cream mad sauce free sandwiches or rolls, on request.

Two schools of thought..one Buffet is better because you can choose exactly what you want and stick to portion size you want..but it is easier to fill your plate more than once. Other is that MDR  is better as portion control is easier and if you do traditional dining, your waiter will get to know your dietary needs. Sugar free ice cream is available in MDR and speciality restaurants.

We have been told by dietician to avoid paying more for sugar free options, just to have smaller amounts of 'normal' foods. It's all trial and error till you find what suits your body!

Take the stairs instead of elevators and walk several times around the deck ( not all ships have Promenade deck) , stick to sugar free drinks and you should be able to keep everything. Under control!

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. We greatly appreciate it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

With any health related concerns/requests/requirements etc you should enter them in the personalizer/booking in the dietary section.

Also make contact with the HW of your dining room to coordinate any required foods/diet/suggestions etc.

Thanks I will take your suggestions. 

44 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Great SF deserts currently on the Sky .

Just beware of the carbs in them .

Portion Control is more important Than SF I feel 👍.

So far so good on the portions, but I do worry about being on a cruise...😏where there is so much temptation

1 hour ago, Stelladoro said:

Carb ( ie, sugar as far as our bodies are concerned) and salt control are key factors for Diabetics. Desserts may be called sugar free, but if the pie includes a pastry crust or cheese plate has crackers, then you are increasing Carb intake. 

In the dining room, your husband may request low sodium meals. If he wants to reduce his carb intake, then order 2 servings of veggies and omit the potatoes or rice and then enjoy a dessert with some carbs. It's all a matter of balancing the total carb intake.    

thanks for the information...thankfully he likes most veggies....but have to keep him away from the salt and the french fries

18 hours ago, rebeltech8 said:

I too am diabetic (type 2) and am careful about those portion sizes. But, I can always fine a sugar free dessert to finish up the meal. 

favorites - key lime pie and the cheese plate. 

both are favorites of ours too

22 hours ago, MustangGT said:

Just remember - sugar free does not mean carb free.  With my husband’s Type 2, we have learned a lot about carb control from a dietician who has Diabetes herself.  I agree that portion control is important whether sugar free or not!  I am glad you are taking the pre-diabetic diagnosis seriously.  Good luck! 

Thanks...so far so good...we are both learning...

On 2/6/2020 at 9:28 PM, rebeltech8 said:

I too am diabetic (type 2) and am careful about those portion sizes. But, I can always fine a sugar free dessert to finish up the meal. 

favorites - key lime pie and the cheese plate. 

That's about the only decent pie they make & I haven't seen it in a long time. 

I have seen people in the dining room treated like ROYALTY with special attention

when dietary restrictions are made known. They would see a menu the might before

and order from that for the next night.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, TXRed said:

Thanks...so far so good...we are both learning...

As everyone has already mentioned..it is all about portion control.  Coming up on 20 years of cruising with type two diabeties .

You can pre order all meals the night before if you feel you need too.  I never have so can not comment on how they taste when prepared sugar free. Not sure is you have to eat in tradtional dining room for this.

Regarding desserts,  most sugar free are tasteless and those that have better taste are not carb free. I  asked for simple sugar free jello..your must pre order (don't know why..the simplest and cheapest dessert to be made).  My dietician told me to have two/three fork fulls of NY cheesecake (minus the fruit) and push it away..a better choice and so much more satisfying. On my last 14 day cruise the waiter started taking it off the table as soon as I pushed it away to "help".

I bring my own sugar free coffee syrups and the baristas at international cafe and at the ice cream/coffee spot by the pool..will use it to make a specialty coffee (hot or cold) for you..don't forget only skim milk.   Jordan's Skinny Syrups in mocha and salted  caramel are great. So far Princess has only carried sugar free vanilla syrup.

At buffet, I have complained that only one flavor of sugar free jelly for 14 days is cruel..(orange marmalade)  I was told only one jar at a time is opened until finished. I didn't do it the last time but this 28 day cruise I will empty the entire jar of marmalade if it is still around after 14 days..Peanut butter and orange marmalade sucks.

Of course, walk as much as you can. Walking allows me one drink a day..I would rather five...but!

Also, do not forget to ask your room steward for a medical reciprocal if you are using needles for insulin..

Have fun!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

As everyone has already mentioned..it is all about portion control.  Coming up on 20 years of cruising with type two diabeties .

You can pre order all meals the night before if you feel you need too.  I never have so can not comment on how they taste when prepared sugar free. Not sure is you have to eat in tradtional dining room for this.

Regarding desserts,  most sugar free are tasteless and those that have better taste are not carb free. I  asked for simple sugar free jello..your must pre order (don't know why..the simplest and cheapest dessert to be made).  My dietician told me to have two/three fork fulls of NY cheesecake (minus the fruit) and push it away..a better choice and so much more satisfying. On my last 14 day cruise the waiter started taking it off the table as soon as I pushed it away to "help".

I bring my own sugar free coffee syrups and the baristas at international cafe and at the ice cream/coffee spot by the pool..will use it to make a specialty coffee (hot or cold) for you..don't forget only skim milk.   Jordan's Skinny Syrups in mocha and salted  caramel are great. So far Princess has only carried sugar free vanilla syrup.

At buffet, I have complained that only one flavor of sugar free jelly for 14 days is cruel..(orange marmalade)  I was told only one jar at a time is opened until finished. I didn't do it the last time but this 28 day cruise I will empty the entire jar of marmalade if it is still around after 14 days..Peanut butter and orange marmalade sucks.

Of course, walk as much as you can. Walking allows me one drink a day..I would rather five...but!

Also, do not forget to ask your room steward for a medical reciprocal if you are using needles for insulin..

Have fun!!

Thanks for all your information and suggestions. Much appreciated.