How would you survive quarantine in a solo cabin?

Qaylu

So, in the event that you were in one of those tiny solo cabins and the ship was put into a two week quarantine, how would you keep from going insane?

(Yeah, currently packing and getting a bit nervous that this could happen.)

I could never, ever travel in an interior cabin, has to be verandah or I don't go, just my personal preference. Although if it did happen, as NSnJW said, as long as I had books on the Kindle, Internet, food and wine, I'm OK!! 😀

• Like 4

Internet, water, food, electricity for devices, and not running out of my rx meds, I could manage.

Internet = a decent supply of entertainment, news, education, etc. Would be able to communicate with home and work, figure out exercise options for small spaces, etc.

I think the biggest hassle would be that I like clean clothes, bedding, towels. I suspect a lot of time would be taken with hand washing and hanging stuff up to dry.

Same as others and my RCL studio has the virtual balcony so I could still see the outside world. Sure close quarters but as long as I had internet for whatever shows and communication I needed, plenty of food/snacks, magazines/books I’d learn to deal with it. Wouldn’t have much choice.  The not doing cardio would bother me but that wouldn’t manner the size of the room. 

I don't know that I could handle it even when I'm not quarantined.  The lack of natural light would be a killer - I think they're allowing interior cabin passengers a few hours on deck per day in order to allow them to get some light and fresh air (though there are strict rules about safety and not getting close to other passengers). 

12 hours ago, perditax said:

Internet, water, food, electricity for devices, and not running out of my rx meds, I could manage.

Internet = a decent supply of entertainment, news, education, etc. Would be able to communicate with home and work, figure out exercise options for small spaces, etc.

I think the biggest hassle would be that I like clean clothes, bedding, towels. I suspect a lot of time would be taken with hand washing and hanging stuff up to dry.

Oh right, internet. I'm so used to thinking of it as something you only have limited access to on a ship. But with people stuck in there cabins, hopefully they've been increasing the availability. At least then I'd be able to talk to people back home. I usually try to limit the amount of electronics that I travel with, maybe this trip should be the exception.

13 minutes ago, Qaylu said:

Oh right, internet. I'm so used to thinking of it as something you only have limited access to on a ship. But with people stuck in there cabins, hopefully they've been increasing the availability. At least then I'd be able to talk to people back home. I usually try to limit the amount of electronics that I travel with, maybe this trip should be the exception.

If you mean Princess, from what I’ve read (and some pax aboard have said) they gave everyone free WiFi and boosted the bandwidth. They’ve also gotten them a lot more TV channels and free PPV movies etc. 

I think this situation is unprecedented so took some time for a management plan to develop. Glad to hear they have straightened out the supply of personal meds as needed and providing fresh air breaks. They are also dealing with room cleaning and linens. I have no problem swapping dirty for clean and making my own bed. I sink wash at times when traveling anyway, so washing my own clothes, I could live with.

I don't typically buy internet when cruising, but would expect it in quarantine if only to maintain my supply of e- or audio-books. I also travel with some hand sewing project and drawing material, so can keep myself occupied. 2 weeks is a long time, though. The lack of daylight would eventually get to me.

Download some e-travel guides from Lonely Planet and plan future trips.

Alright most of the problems seem to have solutions:

Entertainment - Tablet, books, deck of cards

Social - Internet to talk to people back home

Laundry - Wash in sink (I have the stuff for this)

Sunlight - And this is the though one. Vitamin D supplements? Do they let those little lamps on the ship?

2 hours ago, Qaylu said:

Alright most of the problems seem to have solutions:

Entertainment - Tablet, books, deck of cards

Social - Internet to talk to people back home

Laundry - Wash in sink (I have the stuff for this)

Sunlight - And this is the though one. Vitamin D supplements? Do they let those little lamps on the ship?

Well, people are getting fresh air breaks, so you may be able to get a good amount of Vit D if you maximize skin exposure to the sun. Even 30 minutes helps a lot. Vit D tabs may require 3-5000 units a day. I take 6-7000 a day during long bleak winters. The 'Happy' lights don't generate heat, so should be allowed. At worst, they hold it until you leave ship, and perhaps you can plead your case in the event of quarantine. FWIW, mine is 100-240V.

After working 16 years in a coal mine when I was younger, small spaces and lack of sunshine don't bother me.  I probably should amend my earlier list to Kindle, food, plumbing, air conditioning, and a few minutes email or text every 3 to 7 days to check in.  I could probably make it a month before I started going stir crazy.  I am fairly adaptable as long as my reading and nutritional needs are met.

I think I will start carrying 2 or 3 weeks more medication with me now though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd look at this as an extended vacation, LOL! Glass half full 😄

On 2/9/2020 at 7:59 PM, mef_57 said:

The 'Happy' lights don't generate heat, so should be allowed. At worst, they hold it until you leave ship, and perhaps you can plead your case in the event of quarantine. FWIW, mine is 100-240V.

This is a good idea. I should pack mine. And you're right, they don't generate heat and you only need about 30 minutes of it every day, usually right when you wake up.

I've only cruised Princess  interiors. I'd honestly be fine for a few weeks. The beds are so comfy, I could catch up on sleep. Internet and the tv to keep me entertained, moves that I haven't had time to watch over the last year or so. The food they had delivered seemed adequate to me.

11 hours ago, Laurba99 said:

How do they bring you food (maybe dumb question) if you are quarantined-do they just leave it outside and go and you quick open your door and grab it?

That's about it.

It wouldn't be "comfortable" in the sense of "it wouldn't suit me" but since I always book a balcony cabin and always have an ebook reader with enough books with me, I think I could handle it. I like to read a lot and I could deal with myself and my books.

I like cozy spaces but the lack of fresh air would be the toughest part.

I always travel with an iPad loaded with Kindle books and videos. Tai chi would keep my body feeling okay. As long as someone can deliver food and Moscow Mules to my cabin, all is well!

I'm cruising in April but hopefully this won’t become a test of my quarantine skills. At least I’ll be in a balcony cabin...