Quick Deposit Question

Ocean Boy

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you book a cruise under a refundable deposit and later change to non-refundable, does the reservation get repriced to the going rate at the time of the change?

Yes

don't forget that in most cases rates rise over time so what you paid for refundable may very well be cheaper than the non refundable 6 months later. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes

don't forget that in most cases rates rise over time so what you paid for refundable may very well be cheaper than the non refundable 6 months later. 

Thanks, now I need to figure out if the extra for the refundable deposit is worth the price. I have never had to cancel a cruise but I also don't typically book almost a year out. A difference of $280.00 seems a bit excessive. I guess RCI really wants to push people to the non-refundable choice.

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks, now I need to figure out if the extra for the refundable deposit is worth the price. I have never had to cancel a cruise but I also don't typically book almost a year out. $280.00 seems a bit excessive. I guess RCI really wants to push people to the non-refundable choice.

Find a TA with group space. Refundable rates at less than Royals non refundable

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Find a TA with group space. Refundable rates at less than Royals non refundable

I have to do some looking. The one TA that I found with a group rate charges their own cancellation fee. That isn't much different that taking my chances with RCI's non-refundable deposit.

How much time do you have to transfer a direct booking with RCI over to a TA?

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have to do some looking. The one TA that I found with a group rate charges their own cancellation fee. That isn't much different that taking my chances with RCI's non-refundable deposit.

How much time do you have to transfer a direct booking with RCI over to a TA?

60 days 

I booked our cruise with a RC cruise consultant with a refundable rate, 10 months in advance.  I would keep checking periodically for rate reductions or OBC.  I initially got a lower price with an OBC and then still kept looking.  Got a further reduction but had to give up our OBC which was a no brainer and the reduction was worth it to give up the small OBC and get a better overall price.  Then PRIOR to paying our cruise in full a day or so before payment was due, when I knew we would NOT be cancelling this cruise, I switched our booking to a non-refundable fare and saved the difference in price between the "refundable  rate" and the "non-refundable rate".  With that reduction I paid our daily service charge in full.  My RC cruise consultant was wonderful and pleasant to deal with each time.   Just keep checking your cruise fare prices and don't be afraid to get your cruise re-priced if you see a lower rate.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks, now I need to figure out if the extra for the refundable deposit is worth the price. I have never had to cancel a cruise but I also don't typically book almost a year out. A difference of $280.00 seems a bit excessive. I guess RCI really wants to push people to the non-refundable choice.

$280 does seem high (if you’re booking for 2 people). The highest I’ve been seeing in the last year is $203 total for 2 people. 

I have seen non-refundable rates be lower than my original refundable booking as it gets closer to final payment. Not always, but it has happened. Personally I’m a fan of refundable things, even if it costs more. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes

Which has been the case for ALL my cruises so far