Can I choose when to use prepaid deposit and OBC?

2Oldpeopleinlove

Hello.

On our recent roundtrip TA, we prepaid $600  in deposits (2x$300) with the promise of $600 in OBC for a future voyage of at least ten nights. We will take a ten-night Alaska trip, but not until 2021. I'd like to do a one way TA before that.

So can we use the $600 in deposits for a near-future TA but save the OBC for the longer trip so as to get the full $600? Or must we use both the deposit and OBC for the same trip? If so, can we skip using both deposit and OBC on the nearer, shorter trip and save both for the later trip?

Thanks for helping me understand this.

16 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

The OBC comes when you use the deposits but you can choose when to use them. If you don't want to use them on the first cruise you book, let your agent know.

Hattie, I think the OP was asking if they could use the Future Cruise Credit (2x$300) for a Transatlantic which of course they can assuming they have not already booked the ten day voyage with the FCC. They will receive the OBC associated with the Transatlantic crossing.which is currently $200 per FCC used.  Once aboard the Trans Atlantic they can purchase more Future Cruise Credits which may or may not have OBC associated with it, and the amount will depend on Cunard's current offerings.

The actual amount of OBC can exceed the OBC associated with the Future Cruise Credit depending on offers, shareholder credit, military credit and other factors.  OBC on the booking is a use it or loose it proposition for that voyage.

The great advantage of using FCC is that in the US at least, it is the initial deposit and the final amount is not due until four months before the voyage and can be canceled before that date with no additional penalties.

In the new scheme of things, I believe that Cunard now considers the FCC deposit non-refundable, where in the past you could cancel and re-use the FCC for a different voyage. Of course they should check with their Travel Agent or Cunard for the current rules of FCC and OBC. 

26 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Hattie, I think the OP was asking if they could use the Future Cruise Credit (2x$300) for a Transatlantic which of course they can assuming they have not already booked the ten day voyage with the FCC. They will receive the OBC associated with the Transatlantic crossing.which is currently $200 per FCC used.  Once aboard the Trans Atlantic they can purchase more Future Cruise Credits which may or may not have OBC associated with it, and the amount will depend on Cunard's current offerings.

Yes, but if the OP wants to book their longer trip before they sail again they would get more OBC if they save their Future Cruise Deposits. That was the question I believed they were asking and the one I answered.

Of course if they will be sailing again before they book the longer cruise then they can buy a new FCD and have additional OBC on both trips.

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Hattie, I think the OP was asking if they could use the Future Cruise Credit (2x$300) for a Transatlantic which of course they can assuming they have not already booked the ten day voyage with the FCC. They will receive the OBC associated with the Transatlantic crossing.which is currently $200 per FCC used.  

I thought the amount of OBC varied according to cabin category and length of voyage. Not all TAs are the same length.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought the amount of OBC varied according to cabin category and length of voyage. Not all TAs are the same length.

Correct. Per the FAQ, here are the OBC amounts by cabin category and length of voyage. In the past there have occasionally been promotions that alter these amounts, but let's call these the "usual" amounts.

On Board Spending Money:

6-9 nights on board
Grill Accommodation = $200USD
Balcony Accommodation = $150USD
Inside / Outside Accommodation = $100USD

Sailings of 10 nights or more
Grill Accommodation = $400USD
Balcony Accommodation = $300USD
Inside/ Outside Accommodation = $200USD

The OP was asking about a one-way crossing which is usually 7 nights. They also mentioned they would get $600 OBC using two FCD's on a 10-night cruise, so that indicates to me that they are talking about a Britannia Balcony cabin.

So, the OP could

1) Use their two FCD's to get a total of $300 OBC on a one-way crossing (in a Britannia Balcony).

2) Wait to use their two FCD's later on a 10-night cruise to get a total of $600 OBC on that cruise (in a Britannia Balcony).

... or better yet as we have been discussing today, if they are definitely going to be taking both voyages ...

3) Use their two FCD's to get $300 OBC on the one-way crossing, purchase two additional FCD's during that crossing, and then use those two additional FCD's to get $600 more OBC on the subsequent 10-night cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Correct. Per the FAQ, here are the OBC amounts by cabin category and length of voyage. In the past there have occasionally been promotions that alter these amounts, but let's call these the "usual" amounts.

On Board Spending Money:

6-9 nights on board
Grill Accommodation = $200USD
Balcony Accommodation = $150USD
Inside / Outside Accommodation = $100USD

Sailings of 10 nights or more
Grill Accommodation = $400USD
Balcony Accommodation = $300USD
Inside/ Outside Accommodation = $200USD

The OP was asking about a one-way crossing which is usually 7 nights. They also mentioned they would get $600 OBC using two FCD's on a 10-night cruise, so that indicates to me that they are talking about a Britannia Balcony cabin.

So, the OP could

1) Use their two FCD's to get a total of $300 OBC on a one-way crossing (in a Britannia Balcony).

2) Wait to use their two FCD's later on a 10-night cruise to get a total of $600 OBC on that cruise (in a Britannia Balcony).

... or better yet as we have been discussing today, if they are definitely going to be taking both voyages ...

3) Use their two FCD's to get $300 OBC on the one-way crossing, purchase two additional FCD's during that crossing, and then use those two additional FCD's to get $600 more OBC on the subsequent 10-night cruise.

Thanks Blue Marble, I had forgotten that the amount varied by accommodation. I was talking off the top of my head from memory. Do you know if Cunard currently allows you to cancel a booking after you have made it and get the FCC back. I believe that changed recently and now is considered non-refundable. I believe that in a forum discussion of refundable amounts, there was a comment that the FCC used as a deposit, is not non-refundable.  I did buy two FCC on my voyage last fall, and I have two booked for this year and next using FCC bought before my last year's voyage and in a thread about refundable amounts. 

36 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Thanks Blue Marble, I had forgotten that the amount varied by accommodation. I was talking off the top of my head from memory. Do you know if Cunard currently allows you to cancel a booking after you have made it and get the FCC back. I believe that changed recently and now is considered non-refundable. I believe that in a forum discussion of refundable amounts, there was a comment that the FCC used as a deposit, is not non-refundable.  I did buy two FCC on my voyage last fall, and I have two booked for this year and next using FCC bought before my last year's voyage and in a thread about refundable amounts. 

Sorry, I don't know for sure if FCD's are refundable if you cancel your cruise for a US booking. Everywhere I look in the FAQ's or elsewhere about FCD's includes this statement in the "Terms and Conditions" section.

• Cannot be refunded or transferred if you cancel your booking

However, all the sources I've found are clearly talking about the UK terms and conditions for FCD's since they mention the deposit amount is £50, they say FCD's are only combinable with Cunard Fares and Early Saver Fares, and they advise you to call the UK Customer Contact Centre when you are ready to make a booking.

I haven't been able to find a webpage yet that specifically describes the FCD terms and conditions for US bookings.

Thanks to all for the information and ideas. We actually plan to use our a Chase a Reserve for the initial deposit (on any trip) because of the free trip insurance. Then we will use our prepaid deposit to help pay when the rest is due. That takes refundability out of the equation.

But it had honestly not occurred to me that we could book the seven night TA and use the lesser OBC and then buy more future credits to get the higher OBC on a later Alaska ten-day. Since we'll eventually spend that money anyway, doing it that way makes perfect sense for us.

That works assuming Cunard retains the same deal we bought the credit for last time: $600 OBC for a ten-night in a balcony.

38 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Thanks to all for the information and ideas. We actually plan to use our a Chase a Reserve for the initial deposit (on any trip) because of the free trip insurance. Then we will use our prepaid deposit to help pay when the rest is due. That takes refundability out of the equation.

Oh, that's an interesting angle. I haven't heard of a Future Cruise Deposit being used for anything other than the initial deposit at the time the cruise is booked. Now just because I haven't heard of an FCD being used later to pay down the remaining balance on a booking doesn't mean it can't be done that way. Just make sure you've verified that's OK with Cunard to avoid being stuck with an FCD you can't use as you were planning.

Edited by bluemarble

4 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

But it had honestly not occurred to me that we could book the seven night TA and use the lesser OBC and then buy more future credits to get the higher OBC on a later Alaska ten-day. Since we'll eventually spend that money anyway, doing it that way makes perfect sense for us.

That works assuming Cunard retains the same deal we bought the credit for last time: $600 OBC for a ten-night in a balcony.

Since you are in the US. you can use the FCC as the initial deposit, and pay the balance with your Chase card to get insurance. That will accomplish two things, get you a very low deposit $600 vs 25% of your total cost and the OBC. I don't think you can use the FCC after you have made the initial deposit, but confirm this with your T/A or Cunard.