NCL Panama Canal cruise from Port Canaveral to Seattle

grammyandahhpoo

Has anyone been on a Norwegian Cruise Line trip thru the Panama Canal?   We just booked a cruise

on the Norwegian Sun that goes from Port Canaveral down to northern tip of South America , thru the

Panama Canal and ends in Seattle.     I wanted to get your option on the ship and the ports of call.  

One thing you might want to check is whether or not the Canal transit is via the old (historic) locks or the new, larger locks.  Just my opinion, but I think the passage through the old locks is more interesting and representative of the original transit method.  Judging from the size of the ship, I would guess they are still using the old locks for your itinerary.

@grammyandahhpoo

Howdy! emo22.gif 

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍 

Since your thread concerns a specific cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum where it will be on-topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed NCL frequent the forum and will provide you feedback there. Please browse through the thread titles on the new forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.  

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

We went through the Canal on the Jewel and have also sailed twice on the Sun. You will love the ship and the trip! I know you have already booked your room, but I always recommend an aft balcony for the canal. You can enjoy it in the privacy, quiet and shade of your balcony. 

• Like 1

I was on the Gem crossing from NY to SF in January. We had a thread going here:

Read through it to get a sense of what was going on during the crossing. There should also be a bunch of reviews you can search. If you have specific questions, I can try to answer.

The ports of call are almost identical:

1. start from NY instead of Port Canaveral

2. Bonaire instead of Curacao

3. All other South, Central American ports are the same

4. Mexico, we also had Ixtapa also

5. LA and Santa Barbara instead of San Diego

Gem is a bigger ship than Sun, and we went through the old locks, so almost certain Sun will also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grammyandahhpoo said:

Has anyone been on a Norwegian Cruise Line trip thru the Panama Canal?   We just booked a cruise

on the Norwegian Sun that goes from Port Canaveral down to northern tip of South America , thru the

Panama Canal and ends in Seattle.     I wanted to get your option on the ship and the ports of call.  

You are now in the correct forum (the NCL forum) for opinions on the ship.  But in terms of your ports of call (which you don't identify*), you'll get the most information by going to the various Ports of Call forums for your particular ports (e.g., if you are calling there -- the Colombia forum for Cartagena and Santa Marta, the Guatemala forum for Puerto Quetzal, etc.). 

*not all Panama Canal cruises call at the same ports, though you will find many ports in common 

Edited by Turtles06