Sydney airport to cruise ship

psygist

Uber is available at the airport, and there is a designated area for getting picked up that is right outside the terminal building.  We paid $47 (USD) for the largest size, which was a large van that easily fit 4 of us and a dozen pieces of luggage. We took it to our hotel next to Circular Quay. There is also a train that runs between the airport and CQ. 

Will it be manageable to take the train from airport to Circular Quay with luggage  (1 large suitcase,  2 carry-on size, and each with a backpack ) or is that unreasonable,  especially since our flight gets in at 9 am, so will be at the tail end of rush hour by the time we clear customs, get baggage,  etc.  We are old fashioned and have never done Uber.  I've read the shuttles aren't good and taxi can cost up to $100 if bad traffic. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

If 09.30 is your landing time, you can count on a good hour until you are through all the arrivals formalities. Luggage delivery can be sloooooow!

Than you need to find your way to the airport train station and buy tickets (well sign posted, but still...), so it is unlikely that you will be ON a train much before 11. So no more rush hour.

Train airport to CQ is a few cents short of $20 per person and takes 20 to 30 minutes. The 18 minutes in the official schedule are rarely accurate.

There is NO dedicated luggage space on the trains! 

www.airportlink.com.au

At the airport they usually have an official person  to direct you to a suitably sized taxi to fit you and all bags.

Remember, Australian taxis do not normally have as much boot space as American taxis.

The dispatcher will also be able to give you a pretty good estimate of the fare.

I have done this run several times in the past 6 months, usually around noon to mid afternoon. Fares ranged from $45 to 65 on a bad day.

34 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

If 09.30 is your landing time, you can count on a good hour until you are through all the arrivals formalities. Luggage delivery can be sloooooow!

Than you need to find your way to the airport train station and buy tickets (well sign posted, but still...), so it is unlikely that you will be ON a train much before 11. So no more rush hour.

Train airport to CQ is a few cents short of $20 per person and takes 20 to 30 minutes. The 18 minutes in the official schedule are rarely accurate.

There is NO dedicated luggage space on the trains! 

www.airportlink.com.au

At the airport they usually have an official person  to direct you to a suitably sized taxi to fit you and all bags.

Remember, Australian taxis do not normally have as much boot space as American taxis.

The dispatcher will also be able to give you a pretty good estimate of the fare.

I have done this run several times in the past 6 months, usually around noon to mid afternoon. Fares ranged from $45 to 65 on a bad day.

Is the taxi fare you quoted in Australian or US$?

27 minutes ago, psygist said:

Is the taxi fare you quoted in Australian or US$?

All prices in Australian Dollars.

Sorry,  but it seriously did not cross my mind that one would assume it be any other Dollar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For anyone reading this, I'd just like to add that some cruise ships do not dock near Circular Quay, but instead go to White Bay cruise terminal.  Usually it's the smaller ships that dock at White Bay, but check the information your cruise line gives you or the Sydney port schedule to make sure you don't travel somewhere only to be surprised. At White Bay, usually the only option for getting around is by taxi, either to/from the airport or some other location in Sydney.  I'm not sure if Uber is allowed into White Bay.  However, on occasion for some ships, the Captain Cook ferry company offers ferry service between White Bay and a wharf not terribly from Circular Quay.  If they are offering service for your ship,  it will be mentioned on CC's website.

Edited by roothy123

12 hours ago, buchhalm said:

All prices in Australian Dollars.

Sorry,  but it seriously did not cross my mind that one would assume it be any other Dollar.

Thanks for the clarification.  Another poster indicated cost in US$ so wasn't sure.