Cruising for the first time

James RH

After a failed attempt two years ago, I've booked a new cruise for 5/22 - 5/29 (2021) on the Carnival Mardi Gras. Myself, my son and my girlfriend are headed to San Juan, Puerto Rico.. Amber Cove, Dominican Republic and Grand Turks. Looking to see what others past experiences here, have been and to hopefully get some suggestions.

Edited by James RH
Soelling

Definitely research your ports...the more you know about them, the better time you will have...and the less you may need to spend on "excursions"....many things are quite easy to do without excursions! 

Spend some time wandering about the ship, to get a "feel" for where things are and what is available for you!

On 2/17/2020 at 8:39 PM, James RH said:

After a failed attempt two years ago, I've booked a new cruise for 5/22 - 5/29 (2021) on the Carnival Mardi Gras. Myself, my son and my girlfriend are headed to San Juan, Puerto Rico.. Amber Cove, Dominican Republic and Grand Turks. Looking to see what others past experiences here, have been and to hopefully get some suggestions.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:39 PM, James RH said:

The only port out of the three you might want to take an excursion is Amber Cove. Carnival docks in Old San Juan. You can explore this old city on your own. The two main attractions are two forts. Be aware, there is a lot of walking up and down hilly cobblestone roads. Grand Turk is totally a beach day. We did a beach resort excursion in Amber Cove, but you can just hang around the pool complex at the port, no fee required.

That is a nice itinerary!  Grand Turk has an amazing beach and beach area, you don't need an excursion or anything far away from the ship. Love, love love Grand Turk! Amber Cove is a fairly new port and we booked a tour to the Damajagua waterfalls and we enjoyed that too.. San Juan we had the luck to stay until the evening so walk around town on our own and later drinks in a bar was a very nice idea as well!

You will have a lot of fun!