Internet

PSahoy

15 minutes ago, PSahoy said:

Can’t seem to find current internet package pricing. I know Seabourn charges but do they provide any free time or is it cruise specific?

It varies.  Many times you are given a specific number of minutes to use (gratis) while on board.  If you have to buy internet access, it can be rather expensive and frustrating as the connection and speed are not always satisfactory.  

You get some free minutes if you have sailed Seabourn before and are part of their club.  You may have received some free minutes as a part of a promotion when you booked;  check your booking info or ask your TA.  Seabourn sells an unlimited package for $399 per voyage, a good deal for a long voyage.  And as SLSD wrote, the connection and speed are poor, among the worst at sea, sadly.  Same as Cunard, for instance.

On 2/19/2020 at 2:39 AM, tv24 said:

You get some free minutes if you have sailed Seabourn before and are part of their club.  You may have received some free minutes as a part of a promotion when you booked;  check your booking info or ask your TA.  Seabourn sells an unlimited package for $399 per voyage, a good deal for a long voyage.  And as SLSD wrote, the connection and speed are poor, among the worst at sea, sadly.  Same as Cunard, for instance.

Sorry but disagree with your assessment of the speed and connection of the internet on board. We completed the 21 day Antarctica and Patagonia Cruise where we purchased the unlimited internet package for $399. The connectivity was amazing and can’t recall a single instance of having an issue. I thought for sure it would be slow simply because of the remoteness but it wasn’t. More problems with the tv than with the internet.

1 hour ago, lvog said:

Sorry but disagree with your assessment of the speed and connection of the internet on board. We completed the 21 day Antarctica and Patagonia Cruise where we purchased the unlimited internet package for $399. The connectivity was amazing and can’t recall a single instance of having an issue. I thought for sure it would be slow simply because of the remoteness but it wasn’t. More problems with the tv than with the internet.

You were very very fortunate.  Our internet on the Sojourn last May/June was extremely frustrating.  Others have had the same experience. 

3 hours ago, lvog said:

Same on the Odyssey earlier this month.  It appears that the wifi has been upgraded, at least on this ship. 

Edited by jjb415

4 hours ago, lvog said:

Happy that you've had success with the internet, Ivog!  That was not my experience in all of the days we've been on Seabourn.  Maybe the satellite connection has been upgraded?  I will be optimistic for my next sailing.

Well worth downloading "Press Reader" on to your tablet or Smart Phone before you embark. This enables you to download quite a large number of daily newspapers on to your tablet each day. The important thing to realise that these newspapers are on an "intranet" on Seabourn ships and downloading them does not come out of your internet allowance. Somebody in The Seabourn Square will be able to help you.

If you wait to download Press Reader until you get on board then you will have to use your internet minutes to download the app.

• 10 months later...

Regarding the $399 unlimited internet package. We currently have 900 free internet minutes each on our upcoming cruise. When we board the Quest in December for a 24 day SA/Antarctica cruise, will it be possible to exchange the 900 minutes for a significant discount on the unlimited package?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Regarding the $399 unlimited internet package. We currently have 900 free internet minutes each on our upcoming cruise. When we board the Quest in December for a 24 day SA/Antarctica cruise, will it be possible to exchange the 900 minutes for a significant discount on the unlimited package?

Edited by LEESRE

3 minutes ago, LEESRE said:

Why don't you use the 900 mins and then have a package. It may be cheaper.

We might wind up doing that if we can't get a reasonable discount for an unlimited package when we first board the ship. We've kind of gotten spoiled with having unlimited service on the other cruise lines we sail with as both my DW and I enjoy using the internet for a wide variety of reasons when there is nothing fun going on around the ship.

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We might wind up doing that if we can't get a reasonable discount for an unlimited package when we first board the ship. We've kind of gotten spoiled with having unlimited service on the other cruise lines we sail with as both my DW and I enjoy using the internet for a wide variety of reasons when there is nothing fun going on around the ship.

Since the $400 package only allows for one device log in at a time, in addition to purchasing that, we will also save our minutes for the times that we both want to be online.

13 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

Since the $400 package only allows for one device log in at a time, in addition to purchasing that, we will also save our minutes for the times that we both want to be online.

If I might ask, how would that work? How would Person #2 log into Person #1's account to access their free 900 Internet minutes if Person #1 is already logged into their account using the unlimited package? 

Can person #1 in effect create two logins to their Internet account, one pointing at the unlimited internet package and one pointing to their free 900 minute perk? That way once Person #2's minutes have expired, he/she can then log onto Person #1's "second" account which is pointing at their 900 minutes. Just curious how it would work.

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have always looked that with some cruise lines one is paying more for the cruise price as the internet price is part of the cruise price whereas other cruise lines  one pays a cheaper cruise price then one has to pay for the internet so it all comes out in the wash.  Nothing is free

From what I remember the last cruise on the Encore, March, we set one puter up with the free minutes then used OBC for the other puter which let both of us to use the puters at the same time. Also we have used the Referral Coupons for first time cruisers, used to be about $400 so by doing this we have managed to get "free" internet which you might be able to do as well if you havent cruised Seabourn before?

We have never had trouble with the speed even down at Antarctica on the Quest which surprised me. Sometimes the speed could drop a little if everybody is using the internet at the same time, maybe downloading large files but hey we are on a ship

37 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

From what I remember the last cruise on the Encore, March, we set one puter up with the free minutes then used OBC for the other puter which let both of us to use the puters at the same time. 

Since this will be our first cruise with Seabourn, we're unsure as to how certain perks are treated that have been posted to our "cabin" account. As I mentioned earlier, we have been allocated 900 free internet minutes each. Are they accessable by either person listed on the cabin account so we can allocate their use to one login? That would be great, especially if we decide to also purchase an unlimited internet package to be accessed by a separate login. This way my DW will have an unlimited internet login and I'll have a separate one which I can use the 1800 free minutes on our 24 day cruise. From the way it's sounding, the answer is yes.

I would guess you would both have the 900 minutes each so that would be set up on both your puters. We just went and saw the girls, who are very good, at the Seabourn Square

Re the Referral Coupon have a look through here, pick someone who is offering one then get in contact. The reason people ask about your sailing date is that they wish to use their OBC on their sailing as they get the OBC credit as well

You will enjoy Seabourn

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Can person #1 in effect create two logins to their Internet account, one pointing at the unlimited internet package and one pointing to their free 900 minute perk? That way once Person #2's minutes have expired, he/she can then log onto Person #1's "second" account which is pointing at their 900 minutes. Just curious how it would work.

Yes, that is exactly how it would work.

I’ve done exactly this before because I’ve needed minutes for work (that I planned to expense) and did not want to use my free internet for work purposes.

Edited by jenidallas
  • Thanks 1

Ken I just noticed from your other post you are getting OBC which is maybe from Seabourn so I dont think you can combine the Referral Coupon with Seabourns OBC you are already getting as I didnt see you mention the OBC  in this topic

Others who are more up to date will point out if you can get both

Edited by Thecat123

34 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

Ken I just noticed from your other post you are getting OBC which is maybe from Seabourn so I dont think you can combine the Referral Coupon with Seabourns OBC you are already getting as I didnt see you mention the OBC  in this topic

Others who are more up to date will point out if you can get both

Thanks. From what we're learning, you're probably right regarding the older $400 OBC Referral. But we have someone that's going to ask SB this coming week if the newer $250 OBC Referral can be combined with other OBC promotions. Fingers crossed!

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. From what we're learning, you're probably right regarding the older $400 OBC Referral. But we have someone that's going to ask SB this coming week if the newer $250 OBC Referral can be combined with other OBC promotions. Fingers crossed!

Worth a try

On the last cruise we did I jokingly asked Seabourn Club if I could use a couple of $400 coupons I had collected from friends if I could use them even though we had OBC as part of the cruise price not expecting anything. No problem Seabourn added them to our OBC but for the new price of $250 each. Maybe they wanted to get rid of the old $400 coupons?  I think we even got the non refundable credits we had transferred by Seabourn to my Bank card when our cruise was cut short. Once again not expecting that as it was a non refundable OBC

Its reasons like this why we cruise Seabourn above other lines as Seabourn will make things happen if at all possible

• Like 1

Some Cellular companies offer specials for cruises.  Seabourn is one of the companies for Bellsouth.  It’s $100 for 30 days of unlimited text and talk.  It’s nice to have for a long cruise if you want to speak to family or friends at home while you are cruising.  It does not work while in port, only while at sea.

• Thanks 1