Coronavirus

13 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

I renewed my annual cover 2 days ago. I used the following search engine :-

https://www.travelsupermarket.com/travel-insurance/enquiry/

I'm 72, in good health and the policy cost £49.45 + £24.73 (cruise cover) total £74.20p. However this excludes USA and Caribbean as we don't intend to go there until say 2024/25 season. As in all policies, study the small print before you buy. As a postscript, I agree, now is a good time to buy, before the "Medical Expenses" element goes sky high.

9 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Thanks I shall take a look now.

I have just tried and it does not seem to be working.

9 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I have just tried and it does not seem to be working.

That's odd it works for me. You could try moneysupermarket.com via google, as I believe they are the same company. It works for me but I use Firefox, who's your browser BTW ?

Incidentally I've just done a requote for annual and included USA and Caribbean and the same company (Alpha) increased cost from £74 to £98 but won't be going there again for a couple of years. Regards Paul

Edited by MrSilversurf

7 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

That's odd it works for me. You could try moneysupermarket.com via google, as I believe they are the same company. It works for me but I use Firefox, who's your browser BTW ?

Incidentally I've just done a requote for annual and included USA and Caribbean and the same company (Alpha) increased cost from £74 to £98 but won't be going there again for a couple of years. Regards Paul

The link works but not the website. I use Chrome usually good for everything but I will try Firefox.

13 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

It works in Firefox but my quotes come out at about £166 a year for worldwide (including USA and Caribbean) and £5000 cancellation. Well that is better than losing all the money.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:33 PM, Vitalsign said:

The common cold is one virus more easy to catch than Coronovirus but it doesn't kill as many people

In the UK an average of 600 die from common/garden flu so for coronovirus to claim that many would mean hundreds of thousands to be infected and most of them in danger would need existing underlying issues

Not for one minute underplaying thr concern 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:39 AM, davecttr said:

To help us ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew, Marella Cruises will deny boarding at vessel check-in to anyone who is unable to complete the following screening:

• I have not experienced vomiting or diarrhoea within the past 48 hours
  • I have not had any of the following symptoms – fever (38⁰c or higher), feel feverish, or have chills, a cough, cold, sore throat, runny nose or difficulty breathing
  •  

If say, 10% are refused boarding and Marella are forced to reimburse, this will be a loss or revenue. If the public at large hear about this it could effect potential sales, in particular those who have breathing problems, minor or otherwise. The spread of the virus in itself is a potential sales killer, or at the very least, encourage people to delay purchase.

Picture the scene, someone has a respiratory attack perhaps due to dust after the steward has just cleaned the cabin. If he's filled in a false declaration to avoid being barred from boarding. I assume the captain has no choice but to radio  ahead, saying he may have a virus victim on board. I can't understand the rationale behind Marella's decision to use the Blood Chit ?

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Probably just me but don't understand this quote 🤔

The 'Blood Chit' is davecttr's post #33 where he quotes a Marella Self Screening Health Form. If you fail the health checks you won't be allowed to board.

12 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

The 'Blood Chit' is davecttr's post #33 where he quotes a Marella Self Screening Health Form. If you fail the health checks you won't be allowed to board.

Thanks for the reply but it obviously is just me still don't understand the blood Chit. But I am on the same cruise as Dave so can ask if we meet up that's if we both make it. 🤞

Hi Jim

what I was saying with regard to the common cold was that lots of people get on the cruises with one and don't declare it on the form in response to Helengp who seemed to think it was ok

The number of times we've been on the plane with people coughing and sniffling and it's really annoying Then you see some walking about with oxygen on the ship  Then there are always more coughing and sniffling on the way home The number of times I've picked up a cough on cruise is countless obviously the shared cabin air conditioning doesn't help We call it cabin cough 😷can't buy any of these anywhere and boots have sold out of antiviral gel Luckily my friend works for a medical company which produces wipes which cover the previous Coronoviruses I.e. SARS and MERS and as were going to to the Middle East in April hopefully they will work well

Also at Dubai airport they are doing temperature checks currently

Edited by Vitalsign
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

In the UK an average of 600 die from common/garden flu

600 well, yes, no, maybe. That is an estimate.  There are also estimates that go up to 13000 for a bad year.   

It would seem that things are moving quickly with this virus, but again the press don't help by scaremongering. In response to Vitalsign I would say that you can not ask people to cancel a holiday just because they have a cold. I get at least one cold each winter....usually a bit of a cough, sore throat, sneezing etc but it's normally gone in a couple of days. I can't see my insurance paying out on that basis. So I would always travel if I just had a cold. I don't know a single person who wouldn't! And I am distinguishing here between a common cold and flu. 

Edited by helengp

53 minutes ago, helengp said:

It would seem that things are moving quickly with this virus, but again the press don't help by scaremongering. In response to Vitalsign I would say that you can not ask people to cancel a holiday just because they have a cold. I get at least one cold each winter....usually a bit of a cough, sore throat, sneezing etc but it's normally gone in a couple of days. I can't see my insurance paying out on that basis. So I would always travel if I just had a cold. I don't know a single person who wouldn't! And I am distinguishing here between a common cold and flu. 

Someone on Page one mentioned a 'Nationwide' clause in their policy which did cover, even after an FCO warning. In general they won't reimburse, so best to check 'small print' :-

https://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/travel-advice/fco-travel-warnings

I don't think Marella would accept cancellation either from an FCO warning.

Over on the P&O forum it has been reported that P&O's response to turning up at check-in and being denied boarding is the same as a cancellation. you lose the cruise and 100% of what you paid. so you have a cold, get denied boarding and good luck trying to claim the money back from your insurance. I want thousands because I had a common cold or bad hay fever!

all this is going to mean lots of cancellations before final payment or not booking at all. My insurance currently covers cancellation on FCO advice but the policy is due for renewal in july. Will that clause still be there!

Edited by davecttr

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

all this is going to mean lots of cancellations before final payment or not booking at all. My insurance currently covers cancellation on FCO advice but the policy is due for renewal in july. Will that clause still be there!

I have just spoken to my insurance company who confirmed that I was not covered for this because the comparison website I bought it through didn't offer the travel disruption cover as an option - who knew!? Fortunately they have allowed me to cancel this policy with a refund and purchase the upgrade direct through them. An extra few pounds but worth it for peace of mind.

18 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

Hi Jim

what I was saying with regard to the common cold was that lots of people get on the cruises with one and don't declare it on the form in response to Helengp who seemed to think it was ok

The number of times we've been on the plane with people coughing and sniffling and it's really annoying Then you see some walking about with oxygen on the ship  Then there are always more coughing and sniffling on the way home The number of times I've picked up a cough on cruise is countless obviously the shared cabin air conditioning doesn't help We call it cabin cough 😷can't buy any of these anywhere and boots have sold out of antiviral gel Luckily my friend works for a medical company which produces wipes which cover the previous Coronoviruses I.e. SARS and MERS and as were going to to the Middle East in April hopefully they will work well

Also at Dubai airport they are doing temperature checks currently

Hi V

Yes with you on people boarding cruise ships with the common cold and possibly other illnesses without declaring it on any form same on planes

Paid our balance a few weeks ago and looking forward to our cruise in 11 weeks(hopefully)

16 hours ago, terry2 said:

600 well, yes, no, maybe. That is an estimate.  There are also estimates that go up to 13000 for a bad year.   

Yep and I did say average

Edited by Jim The Scot

Definitely OK to go in a cruise with a cold!  Can't believe any of you seriously expect people to forgo a holiday that's cost more than £1000 each simply because of a cold. The number of times I have got on a plane and sat next to someone with a cold....annoying indeed,  but you can't expect people to give up their plans for such a minor illness. Obviously, flu is different...if you had genuine flu you wouldn't want to travel anyway...the only place you want to be is in bed. But a cold....seriously?

Edited by helengp

17 minutes ago, helengp said:

Definitely OK to go in a cruise with a cold!  Can't believe any of you seriously expect people to forgo a holiday that's cost more than £1000 each simply because of a cold. The number of times I have got on a plane and sat next to someone with a cold....annoying indeed,  but you can't expect people to give up their plans for such a minor illness. Obviously, flu is different...if you had genuine flu you wouldn't want to travel anyway...the only place you want to be is in bed. But a cold....seriously?

Yes, seriously, the problem is not that you have a cold, it is that at check in they won't believe you and deny you boarding. Early coronavirus symptoms are similar to colds/flu and other medical conditions. At the present time the cruise line is just NOT going to risk it by letting you board.

How do you prove it is just a cold? Take a swab test and wait a day or so to get the result. The ship has already sailed.

49 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes, seriously, the problem is not that you have a cold, it is that at check in they won't believe you and deny you boarding.

Absolutely correct Dave, like you we have a couple of weeks before we have to pay our balance which is over £4k not insignificant, fortunately we have good insurance but as you say would that cover for refused boarding, think if I could get out now without lose I would. 😞

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Just noted that some cruise lines, Royal & Celebrity are reducing the final payment date to 60days don't hold your breath that Marella do it but it would be a good move. 

I agree, it would give me another month to make my cancellation decision. at which point we will either be over the worst or there will be even more reason to cancel

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I agree, it would give me another month to make my cancellation decision. at which point we will either be over the worst or there will be even more reason to cancel

Unfortunately for us, Dave, it's not just the deposit, we had a payout off Tui which they increased if we put it against our precooked next cruise it was a nobrainer at the time 🙄

We are due to travel on march 22nd, our holiday is fully paid up for the Spirit of Iberia cruise from Malaga, with the virus now showing up in Portugal as well as Italy this is somewhat worrying, I did ring our insurance to inform them of a broken toe (believe it or not broke it standing up from a seat in slipper/socks on laminated flooring....and was completely sober I add) I did ask if we were covered if the cruise was cancelled etc due to the virus, the agent told me that we were covered however we would only be covered if the Home Office stated that you shouldn't travel.  Whilst that is fine, Its a difficult one as we are so close to our cruise I can almost touch it but am aware it could be cancelled at a moments notice, or I could be denied entry due to a cough or cold!  Very worrying